Wizard magic items

I noticed that there is a distinct lack of +1 items geared toward wizards.  Cloth isn't listed under the Armor section in the MI pdf, and no items add to spell attack and damage.

Is this by design, or is it fine to throw in some +1 robes/+1 wand in here and there?
Yeah it shouldn't be any problem applying many of the magic item affects for wizards. I mean there are already quite a few staves in the magic item section. The wondrous items also seem particularly favorable for wizards. If you want to go all out, there's the Robe of the Archmagi. Which is OP as balls. But fitting, being a legendary item.
Is this by design, or is it fine to throw in some +1 robes/+1 wand in here and there?

I'm not really sure, but I doubt there would be a problem. The current item list is more or less a random pile of items taken from 2e and 3e with a table for random weapon properties thrown in. So the distribution is very peculiar, with some categories getting coverage and some getting missed totally.

Next session somebody is going to find a Staff of Ruin.

I posted this in the next thread over about this but it's relevent here, with the addendum that the magic items are clearly nowhere near finished:

This question really underlines the "no magic items" approach we've been told about. Since magic items don't figure into the system math, the need to provide bonuses to all classes through magic items in the same way.

I personally don't mind the idea of implement style items that grant bonuses to magic attacks and if I was running a game that used magic items I'd take care to provide items that provide the bonus to people who preferred not to use an implement, but the game as written isn't designed with magic items in mind.

So basically if as a DM you decide that casters need the boost 'cause of magic weapons you've chosen to put into play, you're free to hand 'em items that give them that bonus and you're not going to upset anything except the balance of your own game.

The balance of magic items is basically our problem right now, not theirs.

This will never happen.

Why? Because the idea of a +1 robe was so good and logic that they introduced them in 4E.

And as 4E is obviously the root of all evil in the D&DN designer's eyes they keep ignoring everything good which was introduced in the current edition.

The notion of an armoured robe has been around from the beginning, see robe of the archmagi et al. It's the +1 part that's different, but really a robe +5 isn't any different from AD&D's robe of the archmagi.

The weapons are newer, but in the old days spells weren't ever direct attacks so much. When a spell needed an attack roll, it was treated as a summoned creature with its own stats. Once in a while you'd have to roll a touch attack to deliver a spell and that idea was expanded on hugely in 3e and the summon philosophy mostly junked - probably for the better.

Anyway 4e used these things but the ideas predated 4e by a couple of decades, except for weapons but the foundations were there.

Back to the topic though, as I said earlier, there's no harm at all in giving mages items that grant attack bonuses. The core system math doesn't account for magic items, which means our balance troubles with them are our own.

Why? Because the idea of a +1 robe was so good and logic that they introduced them in 4E.

Pre-4e they were known as rings and cloaks of protection.  That isn't one of 4e's additions to the game.  Turning the cloak into a robe wasn't particularly novel and was necessitated only because 4e arbitrarily decided cloaks were part of the neck slot which was equally arbitrarily assigned to boosting your NADs.
This thread does bring an intersting point though.  Melee and ranged weapon attacks scale up over time via magical weapons and items such as girdle of giant strength.  In past editions, spells scaled up as the caster gained levels, but not in next according to the recent playtest packets (except for cantrips).  I wonder if they will add some magic items that increase spell damage or effectivness.
This thread does bring an intersting point though.  Melee and ranged weapon attacks scale up over time via magical weapons and items such as girdle of giant strength.  In past editions, spells scaled up as the caster gained levels, but not in next according to the recent playtest packets (except for cantrips).  I wonder if they will add some magic items that increase spell damage or effectivness.

That would make for some interesting magic items.
Wand of Force Enhancement +x - Force effect spells cast while wielding this wand are increased in power, as if they were cast using x higher spell slot. (Example: Magic missiles with a +1 wand would be cast as if they were using at least 2nd level spell slots)
It could run on charges or not.
Cloth isn't listed under the Armor section in the MI pdf,

Maybe because a robe and a t-shirt aren't armor?
Even a Padded Armor such as the Gambeson had around 15 or 17 layers of cloth sewn one atop the other to provide at least a slight protection against blows.
That "cloth armor" concept is an MMO thing and really makes no sense.

That said... a magical effect that improves protection could just as well work on common clothes if you'd like it to happen in your campaign.
The rules would be the same so... just give the +1 bonus to a robe and it's done.

Me, I'd rather have different properties for different things.
Armors and helms gets some magical properties, robes and hats get other unique things.

Makes the diversity more interesting.
But that's just me. Anyway you'd rather have it you can use the same rules for magical armor and clothing. 
Here's a question that might limit the use of +1 or +2 robes.   Can Mage Armor stack on to magical robes?   If not, when a wizard casts Mage Armor his AC is 12 plus Dex bonus (Which would be the equiv. of +2 robes).

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Here's a question that might limit the use of +1 or +2 robes.   Can Mage Armor stack on to magical robes?   If not, when a wizard casts Mage Armor his AC is 12 plus Dex bonus (Which would be the equiv. of +2 robes).

This question has been asked before, and no Mage Armor does not stack. It makes your AC 12 unless something else is causing it to be higher. At the moment it does not stack with anything.
My two copper.
Currently, the robe of archmagi is the best armor in the game.

It makes the fighter's magical plate mail look bad.

I wll be making a dex 20 fighter with a robe of archmagi (using the arcane dabbler feat) and a +3 greatsword defender.  23 AC.  Gain a prayer buff for another +1 and AC 24.  Just waiting for more buffs.

Creep happens.

And again, none of the magic items figure into the system math, which means it's hardly surprising that it's easy to abuse them.

By that philosophy, any balance issues with magic items are created by us and it's up to us to fix them, but I agree it'd be nice if they provided a way to break the game in all directions instead of just a couple.

Cloth armor isn't an "MMO thing".  I remember cloth armor existing in Ultima V back in 1988.  So if you want, say it'sa  "computer game thing", but don't blame modern gaming trends.
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks

I've played lots of Ultima 8 and UO, and there wasn't any "cloth" armor in those that I can remember.
Maybe there was that in U5. Can't barely remember that one specifically.

But if so it was a one-game thing, or maybe a "very few games thing." Not the norm.

I'm sure the general (and very weird) concept of "cloth armor" people have nowadays comes from the MMO trend who popularized that, and not from Ultima 5 or some rather-obscure game of that time.

Yet I didn't say MMOs "invented" the idea either.

Anyway, the thing about cloth armors was just a remark I felt compelled to make because it bothers me deeply (but that's just me).
And to give a possible explanation as to why, maybe, they left robes and such out of the armors table. 
It is bulked with armor because where else would you put it?  Make a new section for cloth outfits with magic properties?  It adds to your AC and you wear it in the same slot you would wear armor.
So when was magic robes that give armour a big deal? I thought the real leap was with the weapons - which are also totally fine.
If you are expecting the PHB to be filled with magical items then I think you're out of luck.   I also think the concept of wish lists and slot items is dead with D&D Next.   btw, cloth is not armor unless you include padded armor in that category.

Magic robes (+X) have been in D&D for a for a very long time.      When I open my 2e encyclopedia magicana volumes I see all sorts of magical robes.     

The Magical items that are in the playtest are just a very small sample of what kind of magical items are possible.       Even if the DMG only has a small list of magical items the DM will be free to drop any kind of magical item he wants in his game.     I know that I'll be using my 2e encyclopedia magicana volumes because so far the systems are very compatable.  

Thanks for mentioning that book(s).  The Encyclopedia Magica is awesome.  I have a list of items I am going to port now.
Sign In to post comments