Will Cube return prior to Gatecrash online release?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
If so when, and how will the tourneys be structured?  Thanks.
Power please.
I doubt it will return that soon.  I'm expecting it in the lull between Gatecrash and the third set, where we used to have old sets like Mirage or Master's Edition sets come out.    
I doubt it will return that soon.  I'm expecting it in the lull between Gatecrash and the third set, where we used to have old sets like Mirage or Master's Edition sets come out.    

They have done it for the weeks leading up to the previous 3 releases.  I can see why maybe they would do something else since they did Cube over the holidays (although they made hundreds of thousands of dollars off of it last time, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to put it up again).

Regardless, they need to ANNOUNCE WHAT THEY'RE DOING.  As a potential customer, I'm looking ahead a few weeks and thinking "Do I want to set aside x amount of $ and time to play MTGO in two weeks because they're doing something special?"  When they don't announce it, I can't plan on it, and thus might spend that money and allocate that time elsewhere. 
I would love it if they announced things three maybe even two weeks in advance
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Why do we not have an answer on this?  Prerelease is only 3 weeks away.  You need to let your customers know what's going on.  The lack of communication, as usual, is just pathetic.
So is there any reason that no one is responding to this?

How about a:

"Yes, Cube will be back from Date X to Date Y"

or

"We have decided not to return Cube prior to the Gatecrash release because of the extended Cube offerings around the New Year.  However, Cube will return soon."

or

"We will not be offfering Cube prior to the Gatecrash release, because we have another exciting offering planned.  Stay tuned for the announcement coming on Date X!"

Seriously, all of these are acceptable.  You want to know what the one unacceptable thing is?  Saying absolutely, nothing, as you're doing in this thread.  Seriously, the most common legitimate complaint voiced on these boards is the lack of communications between Wizards and the player base.  Let your potential customers know what services you will be offering for sale.  It will help you sell those items, I promise. 
Most certainly answer b), Cube won't return prior to Gatecrash only a couple of weeks after the Cube holiday.
Why do we not have an answer on this?  Prerelease is only 3 weeks away.  You need to let your customers know what's going on.  The lack of communication, as usual, is just pathetic.

Just letting you know I've seen your thread, but I don't have an answer to give you right now.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Cube will be back prior to Gatecrash.  Both announcements will be up early next week. 
Both? What's the other announcement?
One for Cube, one for Gatecrash. 
Cube will be back prior to Gatecrash.  Both announcements will be up early next week. 

Great, thank you for the heads up!
The Cube article is now up on DailyMTG! 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

The Cube article is now up on DailyMTG! 

Still no change to the cube payout is disappointing.  I will be drafting some Zendikar though.
I think ZZW is a good choice for the OOP-draft. Modern and Legacy needs the fetches, and Legacy needs Jaces.

However, only available as 4-3-2-2 is annoying, and why is there a 2-ticket pricetag tacked onto the draft again? There was for the longest time something called nixtix. Should we assume that nixtix is a thing of the past?
I think ZZW is a good choice for the OOP-draft. Modern and Legacy needs the fetches, and Legavy needs Jaces.

However, only available as 4-3-2-2 is annoying, and why is there a 2-ticket rpricetag tacked onto the draft again? There was for the longest time something called nixtix. Should we assume that nixtix is a thing of the past?

I would also like to see something other than 4322 in the "retro" drafts. It would be nice to have, and I think prefereable to have, swiss events that you could actually play casually for fun, and know you are going to have 3 rounds of action.  I think this is especially a good thing for older sets that many people have never played, or played very little and want to experience it for 3 rounds.

I think the nix-tix weekly rotation was quietly put to rest a while back.  Was there ever an announcement about this, or did it just disappear one day and noone complained enough to make it an issue? 
I think the nix-tix weekly rotation was quietly put to rest a while back.  Was there ever an announcement about this, or did it just disappear one day and noone complained enough to make it an issue? 

There were complaints. However, from my perspective, the problem wasn't the disappearance of rotating nixtix events, but the disappearance of regular classic drafting.  Nixtix or 2-tix, I'd be happy with either type of classic drafts.
Agreed.  I miss the days when there was always a classic set to draft.  The old rotating nixtix queues were cool, too, and those were on top of whichever classic set was "in print" at the time.  There was a time when your options were always:
- current core set
- current block
- last year's block (I think... but let's say yeah sure)
- the latest classic block (nixtix)
- a random block or core set that changed every week (nixtix)

I suppose they've now streamlined it and have a more "solid" offering from a marketing perspective and people don't have to keep up with a labrythine WOTC website to know what sets are currently being drafted.  But none of that matters to me.  I'd like more draft options.  Getting it just once every few months before a new set comes out isn't enough.
Yeah I sorely miss the regular out of print drafting. I really miss having a schedule for them so that I knew we'll in advance what days I wanted to reserve some extra playtime for my favorite old draft set.

Not having a "in print" classic set as well is also a bummer.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Yeah I sorely miss the regular out of print drafting. I really miss having a schedule for them so that I knew we'll in advance what days I wanted to reserve some extra playtime for my favorite old draft set.

Not having a "in print" classic set as well is also a bummer.
Yeah I sorely miss the regular out of print drafting. I really miss having a schedule for them so that I knew we'll in advance what days I wanted to reserve some extra playtime for my favorite old draft set. Not having a "in print" classic set as well is also a bummer.

I have to agree with this.  I don't understand the "less options is better" mentality that MTGO seems to have moved to.  Magic has a great history, and some draft formats appeal more to some people than others.  Getting to draft something new is obviously awesome, but it gets stale after a while, especially when it's not a great draft format.

The last 3 newest draft formats have been fairly lackluster.  RTR and M13 were merely average, while AVR is one of Wizards' worst efforts ever.   It's really nice to have the option to draft older formats.  And unlike Cube, which clearly cuts into new set drafting, throwing up a ROE or Shards or OTJ queue every once in a while is not going to make a dent in new set drafting.
Yeah I sorely miss the regular out of print drafting. I really miss having a schedule for them so that I knew we'll in advance what days I wanted to reserve some extra playtime for my favorite old draft set. Not having a "in print" classic set as well is also a bummer.

I have to agree with this.  I don't understand the "less options is better" mentality that MTGO seems to have moved to.  Magic has a great history, and some draft formats appeal more to some people than others.  Getting to draft something new is obviously awesome, but it gets stale after a while, especially when it's not a great draft format.

The last 3 newest draft formats have been fairly lackluster.  RTR and M13 were merely average, while AVR is one of Wizards' worst efforts ever.   It's really nice to have the option to draft older formats.  And unlike Cube, which clearly cuts into new set drafting, throwing up a ROE or Shards or OTJ queue every once in a while is not going to make a dent in new set drafting.

MTG has a huge learning curve, so there's alot of choice paralysis for new players with all the possibilites.  Besides being able to deduce that logically, I think their market research may also back that up.

So, yeah, it sucks for us entrenched players.

I'm on the "more options" side myself, but I certainly understand catering to the newer folk.  I think a better soliution, though, would be a better way to organize the draft queues so that it doesn't look so confusing to newer players but the older players still have the most possible options.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
MTG has a huge learning curve, so there's alot of choice paralysis for new players with all the possibilites.  Besides being able to deduce that logically, I think their market research may also back that up.

So, yeah, it sucks for us entrenched players.

I'm on the "more options" side myself, but I certainly understand catering to the newer folk.  I think a better soliution, though, would be a better way to organize the draft queues so that it doesn't look so confusing to newer players but the older players still have the most possible options.

If new users are confused about something, fix the user interface instead of punishing the veterans!

However, I doubt that new players are the primary reason these days for not having weekly rotating Classic draft queues. I suspect that they want them to be special and they wouldn't be so if they happened all the time.