[GTC-ICD] Ogre Slumlord

51 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ogre Slumlord

Creature - Ogre Rogue (R)

Whenever another nontoken creature dies, you may put a 1/1 black Rat creature token onto the battlefield.
Rat creatures you control have deathtouch.

3/3
5CC lords make me sad... (not a traditional lord I guess, but similar enough in concept)

Well, always nice to see the tribe getting a little more support. He's kinda cute, I suppose.
cool
I am Blue/Black
Ironically enough, does not synergize with pack rat.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I saw this card spoiled elsewhere and the translation said "Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies..." Can anyone confirm which is correct?
Rules Advisor
black suicide deck? Why not?

I saw this card spoiled elsewhere and the translation said "Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies..." Can anyone confirm which is correct?

This version is correct.
Google Translate Results:

Whenever another non-token creature dies, you may put a 1/1 black Rat creature token into play.

Rats you control have Todesberuhrung(deathtouch, couldn't find the umlaute)

so any non-token creature it seems, and ALL rats you control will have deathtouch.
Oh, if he triggers on all creatures dying and not just your creatures, I suddenly like him significantly more.

I eagerly await the official translation.
Seems pretty strong in limited. The gift that keeps on giving.
How does he not synergize with Pack Rat?  he gives all the copies Deathtouch, which is nice, and he makes other rats, like Ravenous Rats, replace themselves when they die so you don't lose your static pump of the rest of your rats.  I really like this.  I'm so glad GTC didn't disappoint on the rat tribal front.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
How does he not synergize with Pack Rat?  he gives all the copies Deathtouch, which is nice, and he makes other rats, like Ravenous Rats, replace themselves when they die so you don't lose your static pump of the rest of your rats.  I really like this.  I'm so glad GTC didn't disappoint on the rat tribal front.

He's saying he doesn't synergize well with the Pack Rat tokens. I'd still run them together though.

He's saying he doesn't synergize well with the Pack Rat tokens. I'd still run them together though.

As would, and will, I.  I want Rat tribal to be competitively viable.  I've been pushing for it for a while, but it just isn't there yet.  Mono black has the sweepers, but it hurts that Rakdos didn't give us any RB rats like it did in Dissension.  Oh well.  At least this one has great synergy with Mutilate and Killing Wave.  Get a board full of Drainpipe Vermin and Ravenous Rats with this guy out, nuke it with one of your wipes, get a bunch of replacements, then drop Pack Rat and go for broke.  With the Vermin, you can even hit your opponent's hand for further card advantage.  Good synergy with Black Cat too, since the creature that dies doesn't have to be a rat.  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
The last time a remember rat tribal being viable was back in kamigawa.
I am Blue/Black
I actually have a Pack Rat deck for standard right now. Being able to turn my Drainpipe Vermin into Typhoid Rats is lovely. Heck, turning everything into a Typhoid Rats is lovely. Especially since more Typhoid Rats come out of it when my other rats die.

Gotta get some of these.  

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

seems like a nutty card in limited.
So close to scum lord, so close. 
Ogres in Kamigawa revere demons; Ogres in Ravnica revere something far more sinister.
GILBIC. But I like that the slumlord, rather than simply tolerating rats more than he should, summons them.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Do German cards not use battlefield terminology?

Ins Spiel bringen...

3DH4LIF3

I love rats!

As would, and will, I.  I want Rat tribal to be competitively viable.  I've been pushing for it for a while, but it just isn't there yet.  Mono black has the sweepers, but it hurts that Rakdos didn't give us any RB rats like it did in Dissension.  Oh well.  At least this one has great synergy with Mutilate and Killing Wave.  Get a board full of Drainpipe Vermin and Ravenous Rats with this guy out, nuke it with one of your wipes, get a bunch of replacements, then drop Pack Rat and go for broke.  With the Vermin, you can even hit your opponent's hand for further card advantage.  Good synergy with Black Cat too, since the creature that dies doesn't have to be a rat.  

I'd add in Blood Artist and Gravecrawler, who synergizes with Black Cat. You have a fast aggro deck that has a combo which makes your opponenet discard cards and lose life while you gain life, get a bunch of 1/1's with deathtouch, a fatty with deathtouch who can make copies of himself, and a creature in your graveyard that can be recast. It matches up extremely well against creature decks, well against burn decks because of blood artist, and well against control decks because of the discard.
Do German cards not use battlefield terminology? Ins Spiel bringen...

I guess they didn't get the update from "play" to "battlefield"
proud member of the 2011 community team
Ogres in Kamigawa revere demons; Ogres in Ravnica revere something far more sinister.

Ratcatcher. Yep.

[<o>]
This is what google-translate said about the Flavor Text:

"In his tenement is teeming with the widerwartigsten, disgusting vermin. And rat-infested it is."

Anyone know what widerwartigsten means?

I'd add in Blood Artist and Gravecrawler, who synergizes with Black Cat. You have a fast aggro deck that has a combo which makes your opponenet discard cards and lose life while you gain life, get a bunch of 1/1's with deathtouch, a fatty with deathtouch who can make copies of himself, and a creature in your graveyard that can be recast. It matches up extremely well against creature decks, well against burn decks because of blood artist, and well against control decks because of the discard.

Throw in Duress as well for a good turn 1 play to get rid of control's Supreme Verdict or Aggro's burn spells.  Easily sided out for Appetite for Brains for mid-range decks.  Seems like an incredibly fun mono-black control deck that could be a pain the arse to work around.  Add in Sign in blood for cheap card draw.

A turn 1 Duress into a turn 2 Rav rats can cripple most decks.

I'm not too familiar with German but perhaps the world battlefield is much longer than 'play' and it saves some space on the cards. German words can get pretty lengthy from time to time, no?
Moar cool rat stuff- That's pretty sweet.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

I'm not too familiar with German but perhaps the world battlefield is much longer than 'play' and it saves some space on the cards. German words can get pretty lengthy from time to time, no?

"Battlefield" in german is "Schlactfeld".  "Play" has a few words that it could be, and I don't know enough german to really know which would be which in the context of the card.

That said, you are right about German words having the ability to be long.  It's an additive language, where one simply adds more syllabals to a word to create a ridiculously long, but very descriptively specific, word.
My German continues to be just good enough to understand what magic cards do. No idea on the flavor text though. Pretty cool card. Feels like it would combo with some stuff. Only thing I can think of at the moment is Mortarpod. Equip mortarpod to a rat and sacrifice it, kill an opponent's creature, get a rack token, and repeat. Basically 2 colorless mana to kill a creature.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Throw in Duress as well for a good turn 1 play to get rid of control's Supreme Verdict or Aggro's burn spells.  Easily sided out for Appetite for Brains for mid-range decks.  Seems like an incredibly fun mono-black control deck that could be a pain the arse to work around.  Add in Sign in blood for cheap card draw.

A turn 1 Duress into a turn 2 Rav rats can cripple most decks.

I'd say that great minds think alike; the rat tribal deck I've been pushing at my LGS ran Duress, Appetite for Brains, Shimian Specter, and Shrieking Affliction.  I used the discard abilities as an alternate wincon.

"In his tenement is teeming with the widerwartigsten, disgusting vermin. And rat-infested it is."

My German is far from perfect, but here's what I get.  It is not a direct translation, just how I believe it would read in English.

"In his home the repulsive, disgusting vermin swarm.  And there are many."

I just assume every German word I don't understand is a kind of sausage containing organs I would never eat previously belonging to animals I would never eat.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

I just assume every German word I don't understand is a kind of sausage containing organs I would never eat previously belonging to animals I would never eat.

adj. offensive, repulsive, disgusting, objectionable
It's supposed to be a pun:
"In his tenement there are swarms of disgusting, horrible vermin. And it's full of rats, too." - Branko Oneear.

Crypt Rats reprint please!
Ratcatcher was printed in RAV to synergize with Kamigawa's Nezumi.

But what exactly are they getting at with Pack Rat and this guy?
Ratcatcher was printed in RAV to synergize with Kamigawa's Nezumi.

But what exactly are they getting at with Pack Rat and this guy?

Some awesome inner-city flavor that wouldn't fit in any of the other existing planes (except maybe Dominaria, but frankly, there's a lot more important stuff going on there).
oh rats

<----- Loser.

gross with the haste goblin that gives first strike and trample (first strike for little rats, trample for pack rats)
wait... if this guy is on the field and a wrath happened... you still get replacement tokens, since he still "sees" the others dying. I like this guy in pack rat and possibly ravenous rat deck. Also: great with blood artist

Ins Spiel bringen reads like bringing it into the game, so it's halfway through play and battlefield anyhow. :/ Whatever the reason, I vastly prefer this version over Kampfplatz.

What the guys on the first page said about needing it to be a creature you control dieing for the first ability is also factually wrong based upon the German rule text, since nobody mentioned it already
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
Sign In to post comments