Hi, My name is Brian, and I like to throw things

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey All, this is my Brion Stoutarm Deck (and yes, my name is Brian, and my commander is Brion). Anyway, Been having some fun with the deck recently and decided to post to get some feedback to see if there are any cards I should consider. Thanks in advance.

Commander: Brion Stoutarm

Utility Creatures (11):
Reya Dawnbringer
Adarkar Valkyrie
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Stalking Vengeance
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Stonehewer Giant
Stoneforge Mystic
Puresteel Paladin
Leonin Shikari
Leonin Abunas
Knight of the White Orchid

Stealy Creatures (2):
Conquering Manticore
Zealous Conscripts

Creatures destined to be thrown (6):
Serra Avatar
Malignus
Homura, Human Ascendant
Hoarding Dragon
Kuldotha Phoenix
Archon of Justice

Equipment (14):
Helm of Kaldra
Shield of Kaldra
Sword of Kaldra
Sunforger
Illusionist's Bracers
Sword of the Paruns
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Batterskull
Bonehoard
Thornbite Staff
Nim Deathmantle
Deathrender
Skullclamp

Other Artifacts (14):
Phyrexian Processor
Helm of Possession
Rings of Brighthearth
Citanul Flute
Quicksilver Amulet
Mimic Vat
Well of Lost Dreams
Sculpting Steel
Gilded Lotus
Coalition Relic
Sol Ring
Chromatic Lantern
Darksteel Ingot
Minion Reflector

Enchantments (2):
Luminarch Ascension
Stranglehold

Instants: (12):
Word of Seizing
Grab the Reins
Blind with Anger
Chaos Warp
Condemn
Humble
Wild Ricochet
Return to Dust
Orim's Thunder
Enlightened Tutor
Tithe
Argivian Find

Sorceries (3):
Insurrection
Wrath of God
Day of Judgment

Lands (35):
Command Tower
Ancient Ampitheatre
Clifftop Retreat
Battlefield Forge
Boros Garrison
Scabland
Transguild Promenade
Slayer's Stronghold
City of Shadows (For those times I can steal someone but can't throw them)
Mistveil Plans
Great Furnace
Ancient Den
Dread Statuary
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Plains x11
Mountain x9

Cards I Eventually want to add when I can acquire them:
Silent Arbiter
Kumano, Master Yamabushi

Cards I own but am unsure about adding
Preacher (New Errata Sucks since it targets the creature, not the player; So much for stealing Hexproofers)
Mass Mutiny
Utvara Hellkite

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Thousand-Year Elixir, Puppet Strings and Illusionist's Bracers (from Gatecrash) would be good for Mr. Stoutarm.  I see you're unsure about Hamletback Goliath.  I had a game a few weeks ago with a 56/56 Hamletback.  He gets big quick.  Enduring Renewal could get fun too.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Thousand-Year Elixir, Puppet Strings and Illusionist's Bracers (from Gatecrash) would be good for Mr. Stoutarm.  I see you're unsure about Hamletback Goliath.  I had a game a few weeks ago with a 56/56 Hamletback.  He gets big quick.  Enduring Renewal could get fun too.

Thanks for the input. I did have the Elixir in here previously, but I put it in my Rhys deck as it had a more dire need for it than this deck does most of the time and I only have one right now (sold my collection and quit the game 3 years ago and have been rebuilding my collection). Didn't think about Puppet Strings. Not sure what I would take out for it right now. Enduring Renewal is interesting, but something else I'm not sure what I would take out to put it in.

Definitely on the lookout for Illusionist's Bracers as I know I want one for this deck as well my Rhys and R/B Wort EDH decks. Hoping I walk way from the prerelease with at least one and maybe another out of the booster box I plan on buying.

I guess for right now, I'm looking at
- Claws of Gix
+Hamletback Goliath

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

If you want to add some removal, throw in Fiend Hunter and Angel of Serenity. You can also get some land destruction with Petravark and Petradon. The trick with this is when the etb trigger is on the stack, throw them with Brion. This will put the ltb trigger on the stack and effectively remove a creature/land from the game.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/3/39/Mirrodin_Loyalty.png Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner

If you want to add some removal, throw in Fiend Hunter and Angel of Serenity. You can also get some land destruction with Petravark and Petradon. The trick with this is when the etb trigger is on the stack, throw them with Brion. This will put the ltb trigger on the stack and effectively remove a creature/land from the game.

Recent changes:
-Charmbreaker Devils
-Goblin Bombardment
+Archon of Justice
+Minion Reflector

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I ran  Thunderblust in my build.  I was alwyas happy to see it.  It has the potential to be a 20 point life swing in one turn I find that to be relavent
I ran  Thunderblust in my build.  I was alwyas happy to see it.  It has the potential to be a 20 point life swing in one turn I find that to be relavent

Definitely worth a look. 20 point? Attack for 7, throw for 7. How is it hitting for the last 6 in that 1 turn? Brion untapping via another card?

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

Definitely worth a look. 20 point? Attack for 7, throw for 7. How is it hitting for the last 6 in that 1 turn? Brion untapping via another card?

You gain 7 life he throws for 7 damage and attacks for 6 7+7+6= 20.  So I gusse I should have put it 13 damage and gainging 7 life.  Either way seems good

You gain 7 life he throws for 7 damage and attacks for 6 7+7+6= 20.  So I gusse I should have put it 13 damage and gainging 7 life.  Either way seems good

Defintitly going to look into getting that guy.  Thinking about taking out stuff for the Molten and Luminate Primordials. I was thinking Orim's Thunder and Stranglehold. Also, Thespian's Stage and Emeria, the Sky Ruin + a Plains for the Artifact Lands and the Transguild Promenade. Also, recently acquired and Oblation without giving much thought to what I should take out. Thoughts?

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I run these in my Brion deck:

Bazaar Trader
Conjurer's Closet
Cloudshift
Helvault
Dragonmaster Outcast
Mass Mutiny
Sneak Attack
Gratuitous Violence
Yosei, the Morning Star
Rush of Blood
Fatal Frenzy
Phyrexian Dreadnought

Preacher is still worth it, btw.  Thunderblust, as suggested earlier, is great as well.

Why Bazaar Trader? Sneak attack is on my wishlist, but is out of my price range at the moment. Same for Yosei. The outcast is something I would definitely trade for, but I guess my biggest questions are what do I take out? I do own Gratuitous Violence, Mass Mutiny and Preacher, but not really sure what I would take out for them.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

Why Bazaar Trader?

If you steal a creature with an effect such as Act of Treason you can use Bazaar Trader, target the creature you stole and use yourself as the target player to keep the creature!  Its deliciously evil. Cool
Why Bazaar Trader?

If you steal a creature with an effect such as Act of Treason you can use Bazaar Trader, target the creature you stole and use yourself as the target player to keep the creature!  Its deliciously evil. Cool

I had a good laugh at that because I too was wondering what Bazaar trader was doing in the deck but that is fantastic
Why Bazaar Trader?

If you steal a creature with an effect such as Act of Treason you can use Bazaar Trader, target the creature you stole and use yourself as the target player to keep the creature!  Its deliciously evil.

OMG.... That's amazing. Definitely on the wishlist.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green