Worst ability ever devised?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Worst ability ever devised - Night Crawler?

Night Crawler, lvl 8 Vampire class ability as described in the Character Builder: "You may climb (at your speed) across a ceiling or similar surface, but if you end your turn on such a surface, you fall."

Ok, so I decided to play a Vampire class becuase it has unique flavourful abilities. One being Night Crawler lvl 8 ability. I thought it would be really cool to be able to move up walls and across ceilings. Apparently though, I was told that the ability is strickly only useable on ceilings, and not walls.

So, as it was explianed to me, I would have to make an Athletics check to try and spend an action to climb at half speed up a wall or vertical surface, and therefore have the combat advantage and other disadvantages against me of trying to climb normally. Since the vampire class doesn't have a use for Strength, my Athletics skill is very poor, thus making me a horrible climber. But, once I do get up to a point where I can touch a ceiling or horizontal surface I gain the ability to effortlessly make full moves as a move action without any checks or disadvantages when running around on a ceiling... But then, after I make my movement across the ceiling, I either automatically fall, or try to climb down the wall, which I have no more actions for and will most likely fail my climb check anyways and plummet to my death...

As I only have access to the Character Builder, is there any updates that would shed more light on this ability or make it make sense? Or is it just that ridiculously horrible and unusable due to being poorly thought out?

At the end of my turn on such a surface using Night Crawler, I fall. I could use a free action to make a climb check to catch hold and not fall though correct?

I'm looking at the ability the first sentence says

"You gain a climb speed equal to your speed."

meaning you can climb on vertical surfaces inherently, the climbing on ceilings is IN ADDITION to the normal climb property
meaning you can climb on vertical surfaces inherently, the climbing on ceilings is IN ADDITION to the normal climb property

This.

You can't hang from ceilings with it, but having a climb speed is a very useful thing.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
As can being able to cross ceilings, which you can't with normal climbing.

It's a shame it's on a Vampire.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
And that it's not even a power, so that it could be poached by useful classes.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Monk U10: Spider Technique. It's exactly the same.
No Spider Technique and Night Crawler are not exactly the same. Night Crawler gives a climb speed as an alternate movement mode, while Spider Technique doesn't.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks for clearing that up guys. 

So a climb speed gives me vertical climbing right off the bat and then the special ceiling movement is a bonus ability in addition to being able to climbing vertically. 

So my Vampire sucks a little less with this neat ability then.... or rather, maybe will suck even more....blood while crawling down from a ceiling and onto the unsuspecting victim! ;)

Night Crawler gives you a climb speed.  Having a climb speed means you don't have to make Athletics checks to climb and you climb your speed.

Climbing only refers to verticle (up/down) movement.  Night Crawler allows you to climb on horizontal surfaces as well.

Spider Technique does not give a climb speed.  It does allow you to climb your speed (instead of half-speed, which is the norm) and climb on horizontal surfaces, but you must still make Athletics checks to do this climbing.
It does allow you to climb your speed (instead of half-speed, which is the norm) and climb on horizontal surfaces, but you must still make Athletics checks to do this climbing.

No you don't need to make an Athletic check with Spider Technique since you make a check to see if you can climb, while the power specifically let you do so, similar to how Sudden Leap let you jump without making a check

Scrambling Climb is an exemple of a power requiring an Athletic check while attempting to climbing.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

yes, with Spider Technique you don't 'attempt to' climb, you climb