Is this game hacked?

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
I might be overreacting, but I want to know if this is true.

I recently played a a few 1vs1 games against a certain guy. I'm playing on Steam btw.

First game he played Pack Instinct and had around a 80 card deck.
He played something like this:
Round 1: Forest.
Round 2: Forest. Nature's lore.
Round 3: Dungrove elder. Forest.
Round 4: Cultivate. Forest.
Round 5: Forest. Bountless Realms.
Round 6: Empties hand with some creatures.

I was playtesting my Rogues Gallery so I had no way of killing the hexproof. Ah well, happens, so GG.

Next game. He picks Exalted Darkness, again a big deck:

Round 1: plain.
Round 2: swamp, plays knight of glory.
Round 3: play cathedral of war.
Round 4: swamp and Angelic Benediction.
Round 5: plains and another Angelic Benediction.

I played a few creatures this game, but was not able to deal with the protection from black. So, he got a lucky start. It happens, right?

Next game, Ancient wilds. I get a slow hand, so nothing much really happens, al he does is play 2 Elvish Visionary.
I enchant one of them with followed footsteps, as I need blockers and cards fast.
He lets it slide one turn. Sees what happens and after that he Beast Within his creature, and plays a caller of the claw.
Long story short, next turn Wild pair hits next turn, and he destroys all my lands soon after.

I'm annoyed at his luck, but keep using Rogues Gallery as I want to playtest it more. We are talking about his luck this night.

Next two games he plays mill.

Both game its roughly the same thing. He plays a land every round. Gets out a Saphire medallion (again I might add) mills me with 2 Mind sculpts, plays 2 Phantasm, cripling chills my threats, traumatizes and plays a chancelor next turn. He even copies it the turn after it.

After this game, I give up. I have been completely dominated for 5 games. He keeps getting the exact right cards needed to thwart me. I can understand sometimes luck is against ya, but with such big decks, I highly doubt it.

Is there a hack that makes it possible for a player to choose the card he draws? Does Wizards now about this and an they stop it? Or am I just completely unlucky?
Check his rating - is he at the top?

I guess that's one of the advantages of playing on a console - can't be hacked.
I think its bad luck, I mess around with the game files quite a bit and don't know of a way to do something like that (I am no expert though). Even if he managed to change files on a deck the game would most likely sync out when trying to start the match. 
It sounds to me like neither cheating, nor bad luck. Sounds to me like your opponent just knows how to build a deck for success. Deck building is an art. Learn how to do that effectively, and you will limit your bad draws, maximize your good draws, and have cards in hand that, chances are, work well together (not to mention having an effective mana curve and stuff like that). What you might call "god draws," I would simply call standard good draws.
If they're somehow managing to play the Nicol Bolas deck, they've hacked their game. Otherwise, it's stacking their odds through deck building.

However, if you look at the iPad ELO rankings, you'll see the top three pages (maybe top five or six pages by now) of ELO ranking has people with 63000+ points. Then it drops to around 3000, instantly. Sure, no hacking there at all. Tongue Out
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
However, if you look at the iPad ELO rankings, you'll see the top three pages (maybe top five or six pages by now) of ELO ranking has people with 63000+ points. Then it drops to around 3000, instantly. Sure, no hacking there at all. Tongue Out

I don't think rankings are being hacked.  It's the same deal on PS3 - top 30 places or so have 60000+ something rankings, while the rest is low.  It looks more like a bug with the ELO rating system.  I actually played one of those top guys, and not only was he running a 70 card deck - he was making one bad decision after another.
It sounds to me like neither cheating, nor bad luck. Sounds to me like your opponent just knows how to build a deck for success. Deck building is an art. Learn how to do that effectively, and you will limit your bad draws, maximize your good draws, and have cards in hand that, chances are, work well together (not to mention having an effective mana curve and stuff like that). What you might call "god draws," I would simply call standard good draws.

Whilst what you say about good deck building is of course absolutely right, the fact that his opponent played with an 80 card deck (at least for the first match) might be evidence that this was more likely case of lady luck taking a shine to his opponent.
Certainly, I'm not to say that there isn't hacking going on. I'm merely saying that this is not an example of it. There is even a video on Nemoschannel on YT that shows someone using Bolas' deck against him. and the ELO rankings are also suspect. But this, IMO, doesn't fall under such pervue.

Second, having a good draw in an 80 card deck is certainly lucky, but well within normal variance. And in the destription, the only mention of a deck with excess cards in it was Alphas first two matches (PI and ED: both with less disadvantage than a lot of other decks would have if they weren't trimmed, IMO). For all we know (based on the info given), the other decks he played against could have been finely tuned.

I suppose there isn't enough evidence to make an informed decision on what was happening in Alpha's games, but I find the likelihood of a bit of luck and quite possily some decent skill (at least in most of the guy's deckbuilds) to VASTLY outweigh the likelihood that this guy somehow hacked the system to allow him to choose favorable starting hands, let alone have the time to pick which cards he would want therein for each match...
^+1
The OP made a point to say they were all big decks.
Btw it's about 170 people over 65000 on Ps3.
I subtract that number from my ranking to find my real ranking.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

The reason I think the high ratings are a bug is because 65535 is the biggest number you can store in a 16 bit unsigned integer.  It's too much of a coincidence for the high scores to be that close to that for no reason.
^+1 The OP made a point to say they were all big decks. Btw it's about 170 people over 65000 on Ps3. I subtract that number from my ranking to find my real ranking.

I do the same on iPad. theres about 95 or so on there right now that are in the range of 65536 (within about 20 points). Makes my real rank around 100 which I don't mind. Anyway, I don't know if it's cheating or just an error, but the number 65536 is no coincidence. It is a well known, often utilized number in programming (being 2^16 or 2^2^2^2^2). It pops up all over the place...
The problem with something like that is that how do you implement it without the other users not having access to it? The game basically syncs out if you try to use any modded files that are not shared by both players.
He was not hacking, he just got lucky. derp derp
Once again thanks for your enlightened words

Sincerely,
Dixie Normus

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Well, its just: in all my years of playing I just never have seen this much luck.

The guy got a landdrop every round.
He got both Chancelors both mill games, at turn 6, thx to the medallion. In both games. There are two of each in the entire deck, and yes he was using big decks all 5 games. Not to mention hitting me with traumatize (in the first millgame twice in a row even). All the while being able to stall me  every chance he had. Thats an awful,awfull, awfull lot of luck.  And similair things happened in 5 seperate games. He kept one upping me.

I checked his ranking, and he is around the 300 mark in 1 vs 1. Not saying much ofcourse: he could have just started playing with this hack, if it really exits ofcourse, or not play a lot of games regardless.

I read someone doubting my ability to see the difference between a good build and hinting I might have poor judgement on what's luckbased or just skill. I consider myself quite a seasoned player having played Magic since Revised. I have stopped playing a few years, but started when the first DOTP games emerged. But this is not about me, lets just assume I know the rules and know when someone wins by using the cards presented skillfully or just gets exactly every card he needs to counter my plays all the time.
For example, as AI often does)

Is there a precedent for such hacking?
I just had 2 god hands with Pack Instinct after each other the first with 2 Primordial Hydra</a> and Incremental Growth</a>.
The second with Blanchwood Armor</a>,Nature's Lore</a> and Master of the Wild Hunt</a>. My opponent probable thought i was cheating too.
Is there a hack that makes it possible for a player to choose the card he draws?

No.

What you saw might have been statistically improbable, but certainly not impossible. There's a big difference.

It's not impossibluh, just improbabluh
Like they all said, probably just crap luck for you. I have some nights that work like that, others that go the other way.

And as far as the leaderboard thing goes, I thought it was something like "Multiplayer game with three slots:yourself, another player, AI. Boot the other player and start game vs AI." Either that, or just boosting with 2 accounts on 2 computers/virtual computer or something stupid like that. 
Just now - 5-7 my games in a row with no lands in mulligans (up to 4 cards) or the most awful mana screw. Plain misfortune.
Is there a hack that makes it possible for a player to choose the card he draws?

No.

What you saw might have been statistically improbable, but certainly not impossible. There's a big difference.

Thank you, Captain. Obvious or Jack Sparrow? I can't decide. Ah well, the joke is already made.

Anyways, I thought I was clear I know it's not impossible to get those hands. Otherwise I could be certain it was cheating, and as stated I'm not sure. I am leaning toward cheating more because how extremely improbable this looked. Its not one or two games I'm talking about. In al my years of playing magic I have been dominated before, and yes also for 5 games, but not like this. Not this fast and consistent. 

I'm just curious if people know such a hack/mod exists and if so, I hope Wizards can do something about it for their next installment.

I know people cheat on the leaderboards, we can all clearly see impossible numbers on the higspots. This has been the case in every DOTP game as of yet.  I know it's possible to import older decks or bossdecks into the DOTP games. As far as I know, this is not possible online, though I heard mentions of people encountering the Bolas deck online from time to time.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetai...

Proof of Bolas decks being online from time to time.

In this age of tech I don't doubt people have been looking for a way to increase the odds in their favor for card draws in this game. But it's still improbable. I've played this game for quite some time now and have faced many GAWD hands before like the ones you are describing. I've never played Magic irl so I thought it was just part of the game and someone lucked to the max.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetai...

Proof of Bolas decks being online from time to time.

In this age of tech I don't doubt people have been looking for a way to increase the odds in their favor for card draws in this game. But it's still improbable. I've played this game for quite some time now and have faced many GAWD hands before like the ones you are describing. I've never played Magic irl so I thought it was just part of the game and someone lucked to the max.

Having the Bolas deck is different. I have that deck hacked and can play it online if I chose to (played 2 rounds online to test it), but that is because the Bolas deck is available for all players, it just happens to be hidden. As far as I know you can't manipulate or even be able to chose what cards to draw. You can change what cards are in a deck and how many of them there are in one but I am not sure if that would work online. I suppose you could add 4 Baneslayers to Celestial Light and it might work, I may have to test that......

EDIT: Before I get accuse of cheating I don't care about my rank or my win/loss. 
For SCIENCE!!! ;)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

For SCIENCE!!! ;)

I spend my time building decks for dtop13. I finished Editing/making a selfmill deck last night. :D It has:

Laboratory Maniac
Armored Skaab
Splinterfright
Boneyard Wurm
Genesis

the previous one I built was a Eldrazi Deck it has:
Consume the Meek
All is Dust
Artisan of Kozilek
Ulamog's Crusher
It That Betrays
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth