new sorceror questions

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i recently started D&D and TBH it's a bit overwhelming. Having said that I am a giant nerd and love gaming so i'm determined to figure this out. I recently created a Sorceror under the wild magic and playing on 4e. I have some questions in regards to the sorceror.

As i am lvl 1 still what happens for spells when i level?
I follow the PHB and have only spells from that book, is that suffice?
I read i'm only allowed 8 casts per day, is this true?
I konw sorcerors get a familiar in 3.5 but do they get one in 4e if so is there a list somewhere where i can browse and purchase one?
also i was wondering in regards to implements with daggers and such is it saying i can use my dagger modifier bonus for the attack roll?

Thanks to whoever answers these and i'm sure i have more to come when they are answered!

Cheers
SKWOAGC
As i am lvl 1 still what happens for spells when i level?

Most levels you get a new spell.  At 2nd, 6th & 10th, you get a utility.  At 3rd & 7th, an encounter attack spell.  And, at 5th and 9th, a daily attack spell.

I follow the PHB and have only spells from that book, is that suffice?

Yes.  Since you're playing a Sorcerer, BTW, I assume it's a Player's Handbook 2, the one with the Sorcerer class...

I read i'm only allowed 8 casts per day, is this true?

No.  At 1st, you should have 4 spells.  Two are at-will, and you can cast them every round, all day long, if you've a reason to.  One is an 'encounter,' so you can cast it once each encounter, recovering it between encounters as part of a 5-minute "short rest."  Your last spell is your most powerful, which can be cast only once per 'Day,' and is recovered as part of an "Extended rest."

I konw sorcerors get a familiar in 3.5 but do they get one in 4e if so is there a list somewhere where i can browse and purchase one?

Any archanist can take a feat to get a familiar.  The Feat, however, is in Arcane Power.  

also i was wondering in regards to implements with daggers and such is it saying i can use my dagger modifier bonus for the attack roll?

If you have a magic dagger with an enhancement bonus (the classic "+1 dagger" for instance), that bonus can be applied to your spells that use the dagger as an "Implement."  All daggers also have a +3 proficiency bonus, that bonus applies only to Weapon attacks, most arcane spells are Implement, rather than Weapon, attacks, so don't benefit from the proficiency bonus.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!