The Giant Hole that Leonidas From 300 Kicks That Persian Into (Spoilers)

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Edit: Updated Lists will be at the bottom of the post, for preservation purposes. Also, it appears the letter x is a wildcard in Gatherer.

4 Assemble the Legion
4 Descent into Madness
4 Cathedral Sanctifier
4 Rhox Faithmender
3 Seraph of Dawn
4 Mutilate
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
4 Boross Keyrune
3 Chromatic Lantern
3 Orzhov Keyrune
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Godless Shrine
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Blood Crypt
2 Swamp

How do you win, you ask? WHO CARES!?!? If your opponent doesn't scoop to the combolisciousness of Assemble the Legion and Descent into Madness, then you get to scream "THIS IS MADNESS!!!" (as they sacrifice permanents as they Descend into Madness) On their turn, then scream "THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA!!!" as you make a Legion of tokens (that subsequently get slaughtered) On your turn!!!!
THAT SOUNDS LIKE VICTORY TO ME!

Some things to note:
This is a very rough first draft.
 Liliana provides mana fixing (fetches shocklands), Cathedral Sanctifier gives you a tiny life buffer that fits well into your curve at almost any point (and isn't a major loss if you sac it to a Descent), and your Keyrunes/Lantern let you cast your crazy 5-drops on turn 4 so you get online sooner. They also give you a possible win condition once you have the soft-lock set up.
The deck can probably do with a single copy of a drain life spell (whatever is in standard) or Rakdos's Return (Or Aurelia's Fury) so you can actually win at some point, but that's lame and non-Spartan.

Edit: Updated list:

4 Assemble the Legion
4 Descent into Madness

3 Liliana of the Dark Realms

4 Mutilate
3 Dreadbore
2 Duress
3 Apetite for Brains (No clue on what the right config of discard should be- scary haste dudes get hit by Apetite, but trouble spells get hit by duress)
1 Ultimate Price

3 Oblivion Ring

4 Chromatic Lantern
3 Orzhov Keyrune
1 Boros Keyrune

4 Godless Shrine
4 Blood Crypt
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Sacred Foundry
6 Swamp
2 Isolated Chapel
2 Dragonskull Summit

Sideboard:
3 Rolling Tremblor
2 Duress
3 Ray of Revelation
3 Elixir of Immortality (Mill- our greatest enemy)
2 Vraska, the Unseen (this might be the deck she deserves to be in-gives a wincon as well as spot removal. But, she costs 5)
2 Ultimate Price

Changes:
Added discard in place of creature suite, rebalanced the manabase, and added in Oblvion Ring and Dreadbore. Oblivion Ring provides us with a means to remove our Descent once we are ready to win the game (and doubles as removal), and Dreadbore gives us a early game defense buffer.
Also, added a sideboard. Tremblor is to help against our aggro matchups, Duress will pad our control matchup to hit PW's and O-Rings, Ray is a backup spell to hit our own Descents and opposing O-Rings, Elixir is for Esper opponents who think they want to mill us, and Price is Instant Speed removal if we ever need it, and the two slots can also be a catch-all.
If you noticed, I also have Vraska in the sideboard. I think she will be amazing in the control matchups, killing opposing PW's, and gives us an alt win-con against opponents who we cannot afford to remove our Descent against (if such a thing exsists)

So that's that

(at)MrEnglish22

I think the life-gain element should be ditched for a discard suite. Most decks in the format aren't quick enough to make you pay outside of R/B Aggro. But a Mutilate or Rolling Temblor should allow you to stabilize. More Duress and Appetite for Brains should allow you to land your pieces without too much interference.

Even so, you are still basing your deck around two 5 mana enchantments that aren't great on their own. Seems pretty clunky to me.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

I love the deck title/theme.     
I kind of love thing. Blind Obedience might be a good idea in addition to spot removal and Oblvion Ring. Though I have a hard time not putting O-Ring in anything that makes white mana.
I will totally build this, if for no other reasons but the lulz.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
You dont need another wincon - Just exile descent once you are at 20 or so counters on each. It's not like they are going to topdeck an answer to 21 hasty dudes next turn with no hand and no board.

One thing to note: I didn't know what the Orzhov Keyrune did when I first made the deck. I now know its a 1/4 lifelink. It is by far the best of the Keyrunes. Blocks all of them favorably except Dimir and Azorious. Far better than I expected it to be.

I think the life-gain element should be ditched for a discard suite. Most decks in the format aren't quick enough to make you pay outside of R/B Aggro. But a Mutilate or Rolling Temblor should allow you to stabilize. More Duress and Appetite for Brains should allow you to land your pieces without too much interference.

Even so, you are still basing your deck around two 5 mana enchantments that aren't great on their own. Seems pretty clunky to me.

This is really good input, as always from you. I might just be too paranoid after losing to R/B with a Thragtusk in play.
And I agree that building around 2 5 mana enchantments that aren't great on their own is loose/clunky. But boy-oh, are those the most hilarious wins. Will make an edit to the OP to reflect your thoughts, for sure.

I love the deck title/theme.     

Yeah, it just kind of came to me as I was building the deck. Legions, madness, getting hundreds of tokens.

I will totally build this, if for no other reasons but the lulz.

Then I have completed my mission by posting this decklist. May you be able to scream "THIS IS MADNESS" many a time during Magic.

I kind of love thing. Blind Obedience might be a good idea in addition to spot removal and Oblvion Ring. Though I have a hard time not putting O-Ring in anything that makes white mana.

Blind Obedience is the new Kismet style enchantment, yes? I'd be a much bigger fan if it were able to hit lands and creatures (instead of creatures and artifacts) because that would slow down my opponent by a much more substantial amount.
I do like the enchantment though. Just not sure how helpful it'll be. Biggest question for me from this set is that card.

Also agree for the need to have O-Ring and other useful effects.

You dont need another wincon - Just exile descent once you are at 20 or so counters on each. It's not like they are going to topdeck an answer to 21 hasty dudes next turn with no hand and no board.

When I first pitched the idea to my competetive minded friends, they complained that the deck was "your typical durdle deck you always build that can't actually win."
Yeah, I thought about adding in Ray of Revelation or something to kill my own Descent, but I'm not too sure I want to run a card that is only really worth using when I have already won the game in the mainboard (Obviously, I'll need SB enchantment removal to save me from my own Descent if they O-Ring my Legions or something)

(at)MrEnglish22

No Ray needed. You can exile Descent into Madness to it's OWN effect. You could even stack the trigger in a way such that you sack your own board and discard your hand and THEN get the hasty dudes.
No Ray needed. You can exile Descent into Madness to it's OWN effect. You could even stack the trigger in a way such that you sack your own board and discard your hand and THEN get the hasty dudes.

That's true, but I'm still wary of having the Descent in play while I'm still building up my Muster and getting blown out by it. As unlikely as it is to actually happen, I'm still paranoid about it.
Also, it is still nice to be able to remove Detention Spheres and whatnot. For the situations like the one I just mentioned and all.

Like, my Descent is at 5 and my Muster is at 6 (because this is magical christmasland and things went the way they should) and my opponent still manages to O-Ring or Ray of Revelation my Assemble the Legions. Leaves me with a Descent at 6, having to trash away my own stuff.

Also, I just realized that O-Ring isn't too bad combined with Descent, because you can sac your O-Ring, then they have to sac stuff (which could easily be whatever they just got back off O-Ring)

And I didn't really think about it before now, but you keep your tokens made from Assemble, which I didn't really think you would. 

(at)MrEnglish22

lingering souls? seems like good filler til your spartans are all in line
Faith's Reward ? Could recover you from a turn things go wrong or maybe reset Descent to start letting your spartans get in sooner once they are crippled.
I now know its a 1/4 lifelink. It is by far the best of the Keyrunes. Blocks all of them favorably except Dimir and Azorious. Far better than I expected it to be.
[

Since when is keyrune-keyrune combat relevant? Not seeing how :wbm: keyrune is better than Rakdos Keyrune...
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

lingering souls? seems like good filler til your spartans are all in line

Yeah, I was trying to stay away from the super obvious good spell, partly because I wasn't sure where to fit it in. Probably would end up cutting some mana rocks 

Faith's Reward ? Could recover you from a turn things go wrong or maybe reset Descent to start letting your spartans get in sooner once they are crippled.

Don't know how that would be relevant very often, honestly. Maybe I'm missing something.
I now know its a 1/4 lifelink. It is by far the best of the Keyrunes. Blocks all of them favorably except Dimir and Azorious. Far better than I expected it to be.
[

Since when is keyrune-keyrune combat relevant? Not seeing how :wbm: keyrune is better than Rakdos Keyrune...

Its a blocker that gains you life. A decent sized blocker at that. Not perfect, obviously. But it is also in a much nicer color combo, as b/r doesn't really want to play a mana rock.

And I've had keyrune-keyrune combat come up a non-zero number of times. Not the #1 relevant thing, but combined with the fact that it is in a much more controlling color combo than Rakdos Keyrune it helps a lot more.
And before you say it, I'm not a fan of Jund in standard. B/R aggro is a better choice. Maybe my mind will change with GTC, but I think that 2-color aggro is the correct choice for the time being. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Faith's Reward ? Could recover you from a turn things go wrong or maybe reset Descent to start letting your spartans get in sooner once they are crippled.

Don't know how that would be relevant very often, honestly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Just rerealised that DiM exiles. Nevermind =]

Just rerealised that DiM exiles. Nevermind =]

Oh, okay. That makes a bit more sense.

I've also been considering taking the deck in a more enchantment-focused direction, with Sphere of Safety to really drive home hoplessness. But I also just like Sphere of Safety.

(at)MrEnglish22