Shift Substitute?

Having gotten back into our low-level exploration of Blingdenstone, my players and I have both been searching the rules for a rule replacing Shift from 4th Edition and have not found one.  There is Disengage, but in order to Disengage, you have to sacrifice your action for the turn.  All of the players and I agreed that we missed having Shift.

Maybe being sticky to adjacent monsters is part of the goal of the rules, and I certainly haven't played enough to explore lots of the more complicated player options, but we thought it made tactical combat less interesting to be completely unable to move around without getting opportunity attacks.  This was frightening for the players, especially at level 1, because a solid hit would likely knock them out or at least put them into dangerously low hit points.

Am I missing someting in the rules, or is this how-it-is?

Shift
You can cautiously retreat from a dangerous situation without sacrificing your concentration. 
Benefit:
If you move no more than 5 feet on your turn, that movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Its a feat now. 

"Death by a thousand paper-cuts" This shall be all my decks name and theme from now on.
It is somewhat part of the goal to make it HARDER to avoid oppertunity attacks, but the option is still there
"Death by a thousand paper-cuts" This shall be all my decks name and theme from now on.
Remember, you only provoke an Opportunity Attack if you leave a creature's reach.  Which means you can circle around an opponent all you want, just don't leave their reach.
It used to be that anyone could 5-foot-step out of danger without provoking, and the attacker would have to take the Step Up feat to be able to follow them and prevent them from getting away. Now the feat burden is on the retreating character. However, this is currently the only situation that provokes an opportunity attack, so they wanted to make it harder to avoid.

You can also use Spring Attack to attack and then disengage without provoking.
Remember, you only provoke an Opportunity Attack if you leave a creature's reach.  Which means you can circle around an opponent all you want, just don't leave their reach.

As you circle around your opponent, you LEAVE a square that they threaten.  The rules for this are currently nebulous at best however.

The rules say nothing about squares.  They say "moves out of your reach."  So as long as they are adjacent, no OA.  Oddly, this makes reach weapon users even easier to move around.
The rules say nothing about squares.  They say "moves out of your reach."  So as long as they are adjacent, no OA.  Oddly, this makes reach weapon users even easier to move around.

I think it's rather sensible, actually. Imagine wielding something like a ten foot pole. Then imagine wielding a 3 foot sword. Wielding something so long and cumbersome makes you less agile in your offense than you would wielding a much shorter, lighter weapon, meaning you would need more control with a polearm to attack enemies who strafe you. 

At the same time, you have much more weapon to block off movement with.  It is much easier to cut off a direction from a person with a polearm than with a dagger.  But the rules say neither weapon can stop movement, they just get to attack when you leave.  The only difference is your sword attacks when they leave 5 feet form you, and the polearm attacks when they leave 10 feet.
Oddly, this makes reach weapon users even easier to move around.

No it doesn't.

As currently written, reach weapons only change the character wielding them's reach "when you attack with this weapon on your turn" (my emphasis added).

With no duration listed for that increase in reach, I am forced to interpret it as an instantaneous effect only factored in to the attack being made - meaning that reach weapons have the same reach as normal melee weapons in every other circumstance.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

You are right, which means they do not have reach for OA's or any other off turn attacks that may arise.
As you circle around your opponent, you LEAVE a square that they threaten.  The rules for this are currently nebulous at best however.

You are correct, a character would be leaving a space the enemy threatens.  However, that is not what the rule says. 

How To Play, Page 12, Opportunity Attacks 
If a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against that creature.

The packet doens't mention "threatening squares" when referring to Opportunity Attacks.  So, if you leave a "square", but are still in the creature's reach, then they don't get an Opportunity Attack.  So, a character can dance around the enemy all they want without suffering an opportunity attack as long as they do not leave the creature's reach. 

This means that a creature with a reach weapon, for instance, would only be able to get an opportunity attack if the character moved from a space 10ft away to a space 15ft away.  The character could move between spaces 5ft and 10ft away all they wanted because they wouldn't be leaving the creature's reach.
I think I like this change.  It increases the opportunity to shuffle around in combat in order to get tactical advantage, but also preserves the interest in getting combatants next to each other and whaling away as quickly as possible.
I do not like having to use a feat for shift with a range character.  However, without the feat I am not able to threathen or kill anything from chasing me.  If i disengage and run, the enemy can just run back up to me without any negative consequences.  If I am not a fighter I do not have the advantage to just parry everything.
I do not like having to use a feat for shift with a range character.  However, without the feat I am not able to threathen or kill anything from chasing me.  If i disengage and run, the enemy can just run back up to me without any negative consequences.  If I am not a fighter I do not have the advantage to just parry everything.

We have to be careful using the term "threaten" anymore.  It's not a thing in the current packet (though I understand what you mean =)).

As a ranged character, you can fire at a target within 5 ft of you, and you no longer provoke an Opportunity Attack like in previous editions.  Plus, there's the section on ranged attacks in melee...

How to Play, page 15-16, Ranged Attacks, Ranged Attacks in Melee
When a hostile creature is within 5 feet of you and you make a ranged attack against a target on the other side of that creature, the target has three-quarters cover, unless the hostile creature in your way is smaller than you.

So, unless I'm reading this wrong, you can still shoot at your pursuing creature with impunity and no penalties, you just can't shoot behind them effectively...unless you're fighting one of those shrimpy halflings ;).

Edit: I do happen to agree with the idea that shift as a feat is one of my less favorite things of the current iteration.

So don't backup.  Just stand there and shoot them down.  They won't get an OA on you for using your ranged weapon.

Carl 
Sign In to post comments