Wish spell granted to a one week old infant

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all, now here's food for a philosophical debate.

My characters one week old infant had received a wish spell granted through a deck of many things.
What would be the result of it?

A) nothing, the cards power was wasted as the infant is not able to out a wish. It would be like granting a wish to an animal or plant.

B) the first feeling it has of wanting/desiring something would manifest the wishspells effect. Incase of the infant that would either be needing food, needing mom, needing sleep or simularities of that.

C) the wish spell stays dormant until the child has a clear notion of what the wish spell involves and must make a clear desire of using that one time wish in particular before her wish will be granted.

D) something else.

For those wondering how a one week infant could even get in such a position: my character, the mom, was forced to draw a card from the deck of many things. The card read that she was required to draw another card, and its effect would be bestowed on the person she loved most.
- Neely (X marks the topic prohibited to my players.)
This is the first thing that came to mind 

It's not very hard to figure out what that baby would wish for! 

The kid's wish would logically need to be very simple, basic-needs kind of stuff, so any drama involved will have to be about how the wish is fulfilled. Either A. Nothing happens because the wish is fulfilled in a reasonable manner or B. Something goes wrong with how the wish gets fulfilled...

Examples:

- If A., he gets a bowl of mashed 'nanners magically appearing on the table. No drama.

- If B., the kid "decides" that he wants Mommy to be there all the time, so at the very least she's teleported to the kid every time he cries, or, if it's really bad, every time the kid wants Mommy, he gets one. A new one. Mommy clones are popping into existence at an alarming rate...
 (They did an episode of Charmed where the toddler Wyatt decides to use his powers to bring his toys to life and his favorite dragon starts flying around San Francisco attracting attention.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

you could go for whats logical, or you could go for whats amusing

every PC starts lactating
I think it would be cooler for the kid to be growing up knowing she had this one wish she could make. It would have to be almost a ritual to activate the true power. Plus, the PC would have to keep their child safe, as many less scrupulous persons would see the child as an item, like a ring of wishes, and would try to take them to steal the wish.
The infant wishes for the same thing I wish for: Breasts.
Adult level intelect and speach (or telepathy)?
Wanting big people to understand you could be a logical first want.

See snarf quest where the darkside death leach wished people could understand it.
See The Freshman comics were the beaver school mascot wanted people to know what it wanted. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Hehe! There are some really funny solutions here, sudden lactating PC's ranked nr 1 with me. Especially given all the PCs are female.

The DM left it all up to me what I would do with it. Either the wish activates immediatly, resulting in something trivial or funny, but nothing that leaves a big footprint on the party or his campaign.
Or if I should feel to leave it dorment for later, then his campaign would be have come to an end and be none of his concern.

Just for the sake of story I think I'll go for the idea merb said, there is so much potential in that for future plays, I would feel stupid to have the wish go wasted to lactating PC's *chuckles*
Hello all, now here's food for a philosophical debate.

My characters one week old infant had received a wish spell granted through a deck of many things.
What would be the result of it?

A) nothing, the cards power was wasted as the infant is not able to out a wish. It would be like granting a wish to an animal or plant.

B) the first feeling it has of wanting/desiring something would manifest the wishspells effect. Incase of the infant that would either be needing food, needing mom, needing sleep or simularities of that.

C) the wish spell stays dormant until the child has a clear notion of what the wish spell involves and must make a clear desire of using that one time wish in particular before her wish will be granted.

D) something else.

For those wondering how a one week infant could even get in such a position: my character, the mom, was forced to draw a card from the deck of many things. The card read that she was required to draw another card, and its effect would be bestowed on the person she loved most.

I immediately thought... B.

Then I thought things best not posted, lol.

Then I imagined the baby wanting desperately to reach that spot on the ceiling.

Then I imagined the child growing up with arms so long he has a 15 foot reach laying down.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
I think it would be cooler for the kid to be growing up knowing she had this one wish she could make. It would have to be almost a ritual to activate the true power. Plus, the PC would have to keep their child safe, as many less scrupulous persons would see the child as an item, like a ring of wishes, and would try to take them to steal the wish.

Yeppers! I can see the party scrambling to compete for the highest Diplomacy check already.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Another option could be what happens with the kid in Eragon.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

The kid's wish would logically need to be very simple, basic-needs kind of stuff, so any drama involved will have to be about how the wish is fulfilled. Either A. Nothing happens because the wish is fulfilled in a reasonable manner or B. Something goes wrong with how the wish gets fulfilled...

Examples:

- If A., he gets a bowl of mashed 'nanners magically appearing on the table. No drama.

- If B., the kid "decides" that he wants Mommy to be there all the time, so at the very least she's teleported to the kid every time he cries, or, if it's really bad, every time the kid wants Mommy, he gets one. A new one. Mommy clones are popping into existence at an alarming rate...
 (They did an episode of Charmed where the toddler Wyatt decides to use his powers to bring his toys to life and his favorite dragon starts flying around San Francisco attracting attention.)

Oh yeah i remember that episode. That was when The Cleaners came and took him away, haha. Wyatt was a baby when he did that but at about 1-2ish he also brought his action figures to life because it was the best way he could think of to let everyone know he missed his father.
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
Wow, your character let an infant draw from the Deck of Many Things? I'm sure there's some parenting guidance on that subject.

Personally I'd leave it as something really mundane, like his nappy (diaper for you Americans) got instantly changed. Or, if you want to make it a little more awesome, it's now a self-cleaning nappy. 
The infant has no language skills. At best, you're talking about "mama" or blowing spit-bubbles. How could it even express a wish?
Wow, your character let an infant draw from the Deck of Many Things? I'm sure there's some parenting guidance on that subject.

My initial post reads the following, you probably missed it:
"For those wondering how a one week infant could even get in such a position: my character, the mom, was forced to draw a card from the deck of many things. The card read that she was required to draw another card, and its effect would be bestowed on the person she loved most."

The infant has no language skills. At best, you're talking about "mama" or blowing spit-bubbles. How could it even express a wish?

This is exactly the point of this topic. Would the spell require her to speak out words, would a simple feeling/desire already trigger it, or would it just go to waste.

This is exactly the point of this topic. Would the spell require her to speak out words, would a simple feeling/desire already trigger it, or would it just go to waste.

It would work in a way that is the most interesting and fun to the players, regardless of the rules.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Dark Sun Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Generated D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Maybe this just dates me, but what I thought of was this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life...

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Maybe this just dates me, but what I thought of was this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life...

Well that is one of the 5 most remembered episodes of twilight zone so most of us know it.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
A couple of people mentioned "Charmed" episodes.  What about, taking from the genie episodes from that series, the first time the child says, "I wish..." the wish is granted.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.