Figurines of wondrous power usefulness?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just aquired one of these in my most recent session ( amber monkeys) and was wondering if they are at all useful or kinda of a waste? I was looking at they're stats and they seem pretty low, especially if they don't scale. I like the idea of them but they just seem like they will be useless in a few levels. Any stories or ideas on these guys or Wonderous figurines in general? I always elt like they would be useful as mounts but never gave them a serious look. Thoughts?
The moment our DM gaves us some of these, we took it to shop and sold it for cash.

On the other hand, it's not a wonderous figurine of the same set, but I once ran a character with a Jade Horse for a mount, and loved that thing to death because of its scaling HP and defenses.
Yeah, if it used my defences it would be GREAT! But its got a 24 AC! thats low as ####! Plus it really doesn't have a very high attack (+10 vs ref at lvl 13?!) I cant sell it because it is kind of a custom gift (my DM made custom items for the party by combining two items into one, Mine is called the amber eye which gives me a +3 to perception and the amber monkeys so I'm just trying to find out how useful they may be) on a side note, Nice avatar RenZhe! I'm playing Persona 4 right now and LOVING it!
+3 Perception on a slotless item? In that case, your item rocks, just forget the monkey part. Or maybe just whip it out once in a while to remind your DM how much you appreciated the gift and would love more of his slotless goodies.

Did you know Yu (the main character) and Adachi have the same english voice VA? Mindblowin', right? Anyway, enjoy P4, and maaaaybe consider getting P4 Arena (the fighting game sequel) when its cheaper. There will be more sequels, because Atlus wants your money.
I'm a huge fighting game Buff so I actually got P4A the day it dropped, and before I got P4G. I then got a Vita for christmas and am now playing p4g. Which is great because I didn't want to delve to deep into the story of p4a because I knew it was an official sequal (story wise) and wanted to play p4 first. I LOVE p4a though and really do hope they make more sequals. or atleast give us some DLC characters as that is my only complaint about that game, needs just a few more characters.

I see what your saying about slotless +3 perception. The monkeys are just a bonus. and hey they cant hurt I guess. and maybe I cant convince him to scale them in later levels when my party members custom items are still useful and mine are suddenly crap. ;-p
Any other opinions? I'd like a BIT more input or hear a few more experiences with these items. Also in the original artical the amber monkeys were introduced they had higher atk values than they do in the version in the compendium. why the lower attack values?
Most mileage out of a FoWP in our home game was as a trap detonator.  Summon it and send it through the perfectly safe looking hallway, see what happens to it.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
But don't conjurations basically float? how would they set off traps?
Houseruling them to usefulness, as presented, they don't have a whole lot of value

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I guess they're decent roadblocks at least.  As long as you're houseruling, you could just have them scale: 

Level +5 attack vs. AC
Level +3 attack vs. NADs
1d6 + (half level) damage
Level +14 AC
Level +12 NADs
1 + (level x 2) HP

They'd still be pretty weak, especially HP-wise, but they might be ocassionally useful.
Any other opinions? I'd like a BIT more input or hear a few more experiences with these items. Also in the original artical the amber monkeys were introduced they had higher atk values than they do in the version in the compendium. why the lower attack values?

The Compendium actually appears to be wrong. Both the original and compiled versions of the article have the higher attack values and there does not appear to be errata anywhere that changed them. 
I got good use out of the Jade Macetail Behemoth when I picked it up on a level 4 character, and it stayed useful up until level 9 or 10. (Mostly because the Jade Macetail has a respectable +14 attack bonus, or its level (8) plus 6.)

My character and I were actually sad when we realized the Jade Macetail was no longer useful.
  Since they have at-will teleportation, and their "daily" power can be recharged anytime, the monkeys would still have utility uses even once their combat effectiveness wanes, so they'd be worth hanging on to.
  Since they have at-will teleportation, and their "daily" power can be recharged anytime, the monkeys would still have utility uses even once their combat effectiveness wanes, so they'd be worth hanging on to.

Can you elaborate on why that would make them effective? can they flank?

The Compendium actually appears to be wrong. Both the original and compiled versions of the article have the higher attack values and there does not appear to be errata anywhere that changed them. 

hmmm, wonder if I can convince my DM of this mistake..
If you don't use minor actions much, they're very useful. Once in position, minor action to order it to use aid another (defense or offense) as a standard action. What would you give for that kind of bonus?
The Electrum Snake is a figurine of wondrous power, isn't it? That one is silly strong and worth it.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).