Buffeting Winds + Daring Blade + ? Is there a worthwhile end product here?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is theory and personal amusement than anything else where, but I've got two build pieces here that look fairly interesting together but I'm not entirely sure on the best route/build to how to put it to work as effectively as possible, so I'm wondering if CharOp has any advice.

We'll start with a Windsoul Genasi that took Buffeting Winds:

Buffeting Winds

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Genasi, warden, windwalker power
Benefit: When you use your windwalker power, you can slide each enemy marked by you a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier.

And add in the Daring Blade PP's 11AP Feature.

Daring Action

Daring Action (11th level): You can spend an action point to mark each enemy that can see you until the end of your next turn instead of taking an extra action. You also gain 10 temporary hit points. 

Now this is an utterly worthless and asinine AP feature that no one in their right mind would actually use...but as far as I know, this is the only mechanism that marks literally everything on a map, no questions asked, and the synergy with Buffeting Winds is difficult to discount. An opening combo, for example, would be to AP to mark every enemy on the entire map, Windwalk and string everything along, sliding them by 5-8 squares and placing them all ito a neat little killbox for your entire party to AoE-shred. Bring a dozen Invoker friends.

So what I want to know from CharOp is:

0. I skimmed over Zelink's Genasi guide, once upon a time, briefly. Is there any other documentation or literature associated with this sort of build?
1. Is this interesting/optimizable enough to actually explore, or am I just wasting my time here?
2. Is there anything less trashy than Daring Blade's 11AP feature for me to mark and yank the entire battlefield?
3. Assuming (1) passes muster, what's the best build setup to take advantage of the outcome achieved here? The required key components again are: some form of Bard, Warden, Windsoul Genasi with high Con. 
It's pretty tasty if you have zones and walls about the place, but other than that, probably not worth bothering with.  An AP is a lot of cost to slide everything a bit, even if you do slide everything you can see a bit.

A better thing to do with Buffetting Winds would be to combine it with the Desert's Voice PP (IIRC) which makes it at-will at 16th, meaning you can now slide all your marked targets all over the damn place.  Pick up something like Kirre's Roar or another mass-marking power and you're golden.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I agree with thespaceinvader, not really worth it with Daring Blade.

It's possible to get something pretty fun in epic. Genasi Warden|X (MC Wizard)/Desert's Voice/Reincarnate Champion. At 21, pick half-elf as your extra race, and get a wizard area burst at-will (Stone Blood or Winged Horde). Enlarge with Enlarge Spell and Resounding Thunder (admixture if needed), and tack on Defending Dabbler.

It's tons of feats, but you end up with an at-will burst 3 that marks, either slows or prevents OAs, and lets you slide up to your Con mod as part of your at-will move action.

Winged Horde would generally be better, but Stone Blood could combo with World Serpent's Grasp (or you could pick up Keep Them Close as another feat...).

It's fun at least.
What the combo needs to become utterly dumb is a Harmonious Thunder-esque power of any sort. Get that and it should be close to an autokill if you play your cards right.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Let me defend the value of what I'm trying to achieve here. The route of optimization suggested by Desert's Voice is at-will replicability and repeated performance, but for the purpose of this exercise, I really don't care about performance past turn 1.

Literally, I would like to come as close as possible to "solving" an encounter from the controller's end by opening the encounter and dictating potentially as many uncertain variables as possible on turn 1. Descriptively speaking, what I'm going for is "I want every enemy to be shoved into this neat little killbox in front of me, and then I'm going to stun every last one of them. And then my allies are going to Dead every last one of them." And if not all, then most, or at least as many as possible.

I think the value of a slide 8 is being underrated here. Enemies can start about 20 squares away from each other, and still be each packed into the to the center of the box for AoE nuking, meaning you effectively exert control over a 20x20 zone of your choice on the map on the first turn of combat. Outside of assuming you have an awesome controller in your party who will love you to death for doing this, you could run a basic premise of this on your own using a Conlock|Bard/MC Warden chassis at level 25 using a daily, but I don't consider that good enough, and am looking for better ways to pimp this out.

Edit: @Arms: Harmonious Thunder, the level 1 monk daily?
The level 1 monk daily that allowed for an infinite damage loop because it had no limits on the amount of times it could trigger per round, yeah. :P

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is, if you can, make slides create slides. Once you can do that there are powers like Storm Pillar and, IIRC, Burning Flux that are not capped and thus kill encounters instantly.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I think this will work best as an Int/Con Genasi Wizard|Bard/Warden, ignoring your Bard side. From level 13 on, you can start every encounter by grouping enemies together and then hitting them with Dark Gathering.  
Let me defend the value of what I'm trying to achieve here. The route of optimization suggested by Desert's Voice is at-will replicability and repeated performance, but for the purpose of this exercise, I really don't care about performance past turn 1.

Literally, I would like to come as close as possible to "solving" an encounter from the controller's end by opening the encounter and dictating potentially as many uncertain variables as possible on turn 1. Descriptively speaking, what I'm going for is "I want every enemy to be shoved into this neat little killbox in front of me, and then I'm going to stun every last one of them. And then my allies are going to Dead every last one of them." And if not all, then most, or at least as many as possible.

I think the value of a slide 8 is being underrated here. Enemies can start about 20 squares away from each other, and still be each packed into the to the center of the box for AoE nuking, meaning you effectively exert control over a 20x20 zone of your choice on the map on the first turn of combat. Outside of assuming you have an awesome controller in your party who will love you to death for doing this, you could run a basic premise of this on your own using a Conlock|Bard/MC Warden chassis at level 25 using a daily, but I don't consider that good enough, and am looking for better ways to pimp this out.

Edit: @Arms: Harmonious Thunder, the level 1 monk daily?

This is true - but I don't really think it's worth an AP to do it roughly every other encounter.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I think one of the things to remember is that they must also have a martial class. There seems to me to be 2 possible optimization routes:
Pure Bard - that gets you the ability to pick up say Mass Charm or some other powerful controller option. Mass Charm against an entire encounter tends to be useful.
Reincarnate Champion - this lets you not actually be a Genasi. A Half-Elf Fighter|Bard/Daring Blade with Twin Strike and Con/Cha could be interesting as an example, if not exceptionally optimized.
Skald would meet both the Bard and Martial requirements, obviously you'd only want to pick that up via MC if you were going to do it at all.
With group optimization, spending an action point for a few damage instances and some massive slides is not bad. You can generate attacks with a bravelord, a polearm gamble fighter, and a few damage instances with a Flame Spiral Sorcerer or the like (have to coordinate turns), and leave the enemy clumped up for your standard action attack, followed by the rest of your party. It seems solid enough use of an action point to me.
To make this really useful, you'd want to have enough APs that you can use one every encounter, consistently. There's a theme that lets you borrow an ally's AP, right? Either Sidhe Lord or Halaster's Clone, I can't recall which.
Sidhe Lord is for Fey origin or Half-Elf, which would preclude Genasi.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?