Trying to understand Wall of Fire

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand Wall of Fire.  If I place it next to an enemy, they will take damage when their turn starts.  The damage for being next to the wall is less than being IN the wall.  However, creatures can only take damage from the wall once per turn.  Does this mean that they start next to the wall, take the lower damage, and then can move through the wall without taking the damage that is intended for people who are IN the wall?

Also, can I shoot a wall above me 8 squares high like a flame/flare?  Or does it need to be anchored to the ground?

Thank you guys!
"Any Creature that starts its turn adjacent to the wall takes 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. Any creature that enters the wall or starts its turn there takes 3D6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage (a creature can take this damage only once per turn)."

The way it is written, the once per turn applies only to the sentence it is part of, i.e. the 3D6 + Int damage. A creature could also take the 1D6 + Int damage on the same turn.

"The wall can be up to 4 squares high."

You certainly can't shoot it 8 squares high. Whether it must be anchored to the ground, or anything at all, isn't mentioned anywhere that I can find. If you want my guess at RAI, I think the designers imagined it attached to the ground.
the rules are under conjurations in general.  it isn't duplicated or contradicted in the rules for walls or Wall of Fire, so it can float in the air just fine.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Sign In to post comments