my blue artifact

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm not really sure what the point of this deck is. Is it even a deck? It doesn't appear to *do* anything.

The artifact lands are banned because otherwise raffinity would eat babies.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
it is ment to be kind of an pretty fast paced offensive control deck and aurguably a throw together of my cards that i thought might work well in a modern tornament. i couldnt make a full control deck so i jus came up with this.
"Fast-paced", "offensive" and "control" do not go together.  There is also nothing in this deck that is "fast-paced", "offensive" or even "control"-ing.  Just because you have spells that read "draw cards" or "counter target spell" does not mean you're control.  Just because you have things with power and toughness does not mean you're offensive.  Just because you have ramp does not mean you are fast-paced.

What Cyklown was trying to say was:

"This deck doesn't appear to have any kind of a plan.  Ramp, but lands that come into play tapped.  Glacially slow card draw, but nothing to draw into.  Creatures that do not provide value, but are not good at attacking.  It is a deck in that it is a pile of cards, but how on earth do you plan on winning?  It appears to just be a random smattering of strange cards that shouldn't see the light of day outside a bulk common/uncommon bin..."

So...

How do you want to end the game?  By beating your opponent to death with creatures?  By stalling the game, letting you grind out value?  By keeping your opponent off their key spells?  Exactly what do you want to be doing?

The artifact lands (other than Darksteel Citadel) are banned because Affinity already has enough draws where they can kill you on turn 3 without having access to blue mana to cast Thoughtcast on turn 1 and feed it to Arcbound Ravager on turn 2.
The deck has 16 power, 2 walls, 8 CitP tapped lands... and... it doesn't do things! Any of them?

Whatever things it is that decks do, this deck declines to do them! 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Perhaps we need to explain what it means to "do things"...

Here's a (mostly) complete list of "things" a "deck" can "do":

Deal 20 damage (or *divert-your-eyes* more!) to opponents
Give an opponent 10 poison counters (infect)
Assemble a "combo" (a combination of cards that will win the game)
Kill all the creatures
Stall the game to mill the opponent out ("mill" meaning put cards from a library into the graveyard)
Stall the game to force the opponent to draw their deck (a.k.a. TurboFog)
Gain life to trigger some alternative win condition (Felidar Sovereign, Chalice of Death)
Protect yourself from damage to trigger an alternative win condition (Azor's Elocutors)

And that's pretty much it.

And I count 10 CitP tapped lands.  'Cause lets face it, there's no way the core-set duals are coming into play untapped with any frequency...

And I count 10 CitP tapped lands.  'Cause lets face it, there's no way the core-set duals are coming into play untapped with any frequency...

I was trying to be nice! It doesn't come naturally and I may have overdone it.

I also didn't note the islands/plains split vs the grove. Yuck.

Decks have to do stuff. Otherwise it's a pile of cards.
76783093 wrote:
Sign In to post comments