Dm hates me

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi I play a barbarian I do lots of dpr and am fairly tanky, however I am the only one in the party who is Vs AC. When I hit I tend to do chunks of the monsters hp killing them in about 1-2 rounds. My DM however did not like the fact that I was doing so well, in responce the only things we fight nowadays are monsters with unresonable AC hindering only me and no one else in the party. I am no longer having any fun as I cannot hit anything and am only good for skill checks.On the bright side the rest of my party is having a blast and all the monsters are a cake walk for them as they only have high AC. So I ask WHAT DO ????????   
Talk to the DM, first of all.  Tell him basically what you have just told us.  You feel you're being treated unfairly, and you aren't having fun.

You're playing a striker, and I'm wagering a pretty optimized one (or your DM really likes to use weak monsters).  Taking out monsters in a round or two is your job; that's how it's supposed to work.

If he's not willing to come to some kind of compromise, then leave the game.

What Lola said. If he persists, call him Steve, hit him with a folding chair, then leave.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Talk to the DM, first of all.  Tell him basically what you have just told us.  You feel you're being treated unfairly, and you aren't having fun.

You're playing a striker, and I'm wagering a pretty optimized one (or your DM really likes to use weak monsters).  Taking out monsters in a round or two is your job; that's how it's supposed to work.

This.  The other striker and I are the two characters who are most optimized in my group, and the DM tends to whine about us.  But, doing good damage is our job.  We remind him of that, point out that our combats /still/ drag on forever because we don't carry the group /enough/.  That usually ends the discussion.

I can't see how this can be said any better.

+1
Yeah, that's pretty cheap. Talk to the DM. It's pretty easy to see why he did what he did, but there are probably other approaches. One might be to make somewhat more involved encounters that can't be ended just be smashing the monsters. Another would be to make an encounter that the monsters can win in a single round, if the barbarian doesn't unload. "Win" here does not mean "kill the PCs," but something like blowing up a bridge or killing an NPC. Before, it was just fun to smash the monster in one or two rounds, now you HAVE to do it, or you lose.

Keep in mind, though, that you set yourself up for this kind of vulnerability. There are several barbarian powers that target Fortitude, and a few that target Reflex. If your party has a leader, there should be some ways for you to get attack bonuses when you need them. The rest of the group might be having fun, but it's probably to their advantage to set up their striker to be able to hit.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Are we all jumping to conclusions here without seeing the numbers?  Typical target AC and character level before I even start to form an opinion on this one.
Are we all jumping to conclusions here without seeing the numbers?  Typical target AC and character level before I even start to form an opinion on this one.

If the player has an impression that the DM "hates" them, they should talk to the DM, even if the numbers are "right."

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Assuming your character is of the same level and is equipped as well as the rest of the party, you should be able to hit as well as they can. I'd ask the other players what they're doing different.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

If the player has an impression that the DM "hates" them, they should talk to the DM, even if the numbers are "right."

It's a very different conversation based on whether the numbers are right or wrong.  If the OP comes back and tells us that the monsters' NADs seem to always be around 2 pts lower than their AC, the majority of the posters here would all be well within their rights to feel a little silly...

It's a very different conversation based on whether the numbers are right or wrong.  If the OP comes back and tells us that the monsters' NADs seem to always be around 2 pts lower than their AC, the majority of the posters here would all be well within their rights to feel a little silly...

You think it's possible that he only feels hindered, but isn't actually? I still think a talk with the DM is warranted, regardless of what the math says. Math isn't everthing, even (perhaps especially) in 4e.

You think it's possible that he only feels hindered, but isn't actually? I still think a talk with the DM is warranted, regardless of what the math says. Math isn't everthing, even (perhaps especially) in 4e.

Yes, it's certainly possible.

Then the player should talk to the DM. Only the DM knows for sure, and it doesn't matter what we tell the poster is really going on.

Then the player should talk to the DM. Only the DM knows for sure, and it doesn't matter what we tell the poster is really going on.

Talking to the DM certainly isn't a terrible idea.  But I can't agree with the notion that only DM knows whether he's tweaking monster ACs.

So I ask WHAT DO ????????  

Tell your DM. Then work with your DM to solve your problems or find a new DM. 

Solve the problem could be as simple as "The DM stops upping the AC" or it could be you optimizing less. Figure out something you both like and do that. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

No matter if its numbers, misintrepretation, etc.  Talking to the DM is really the only way to figure this out.

When I started running 4e I had a player after several game sessions come to me and ask why I was punishing his character for oppertunity actions.

After talking about it, we clearly had different intrepretations on the subject.

I tried to set up the board to the previous battle.  We went over it again and again.

Finally we decided to start anew the next sessions.

As it turns out we both were incorrect in some regards.  My fault lied in some of his movements.  The player would pick up his character and move him from point a to d without showing the path.  I made the assumption that it was direct without asking.  As for the player he didn't realize that some of the other players characters players had some serious shifting abilities and wouldn't get attacked for that reason.

In the end we worked it out.  But only by communicating with each other. 

If you don't feel comfortable talking to the DM alone then ask a fellow player to help be the go-between.

Some races have really high ACs but poor saving throws.  Monster Manuals are good for finding this stuff out.
I'll be the devil's advocate and say you should take a Gouge and be a charge barb (assuming 4e).  Then the monsters will need high ref and AC to avoid you.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I'll be the devil's advocate and say you should take a Gouge and be a charge barb (assuming 4e).  Then the monsters will need high ref and AC to avoid you.

Ah the gouge, a wonderfully abusive weapon. 

It's an Ax!
It's a Spear!
It's a 2d6 weapon that you re-roll 1s!

My Slayer highly endorses it.

Good Call Matyr!
That being said, this is a terrible plan.  Really just talk to your DM.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Doesn't really work, since Impaling Spear doesn't work with Howling Strike...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Doesn't really work, since Impaling Spear doesn't work with Howling Strike...

Which is saddening to lose 1d6 of damage.  But if it increases your chance to hit by, say, 7.  It might be worth it...
Show
true, true.  but you're also losing more than that, due to not using a Barbarian power (one of the class features triggers on them) - and it's 1/2/3d6 ;)

But in principle, yes.  However, if you're not using Howling Strike, you might as well not be using a barb if you're charging.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
true, true.  but you're also losing more than that, due to not using a Barbarian power (one of the class features triggers on them) - and it's 1/2/3d6 ;)

But in principle, yes.  However, if you're not using Howling Strike, you might as well not be using a barb if you're charging.

It wasn't meant as a serious comment at all.  Just pointing out that if you hose a player in DnD there are often a lot of ways to get around it.
Show

It wasn't meant as a serious comment at all.  Just pointing out that if you hose a player in DnD there are often a lot of ways to get around it.

Sorry for taking so long to post and say thanks for all the feedback, When I had posted I forgot to include math of any kind. So he is a fairly new DM so he did not understand what was balanced and what was broken. He seriously thought that barbarians where a broken class as I was the only striker in the party and he had no real knowledge of the role system and based all judgements on my character alone. I have talked to him and resolved the problem and I know for a fact I was being treated unfairly and was not just a "feeling". Also dispite no know the exact AC of the creatures I was missing on rolls such as 17+12 Vs Ac but hiting with rolls like 5+11 vs fort basicly limiting me to one reliable attack per encounter (besides my daily) via Brutal Slam. Anyways Thank you very much.    
Hi I play a barbarian I do lots of dpr and am fairly tanky, however I am the only one in the party who is Vs AC. When I hit I tend to do chunks of the monsters hp killing them in about 1-2 rounds. My DM however did not like the fact that I was doing so well, in responce the only things we fight nowadays are monsters with unresonable AC hindering only me and no one else in the party. I am no longer having any fun as I cannot hit anything and am only good for skill checks.On the bright side the rest of my party is having a blast and all the monsters are a cake walk for them as they only have high AC. So I ask WHAT DO ????????   

Sounds to me that your GM would rather shame a player than challenge a player, this also goes with making you look like the bad guy by the group.
Because you are a 1 or shot killer, I will throw mobs that you will not easily kill, unfortuntely their power level will make the rest of the party useless....and this is because you play this sort of character.

If damage and melee are your strongest points, why is your GM not taking advantage of your weaknesses?
Ranged attacks.
Magic.
Superior tactics.

Seems the GM is taking it personal and has not GM's for too long to realize this, or he is upset and not thinking too clearly and professionally.