Lifeline and Wrath

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
So lets say all 4 players have some creatures out, I have Lifeline, then I cast Wrath of God. At the end of turn normally nothing would return. But lets say I stack all my triggers, then all the opponetns. I let all the opponents triggers resolve, then activate the manland Raging Ravine before mine resolve. 

Do all my creatures now come back into play? I think the 'intevening if' clause would stop it from triggering, but people on another site seems to think this works. 
So lets say all 4 players have some creatures out, I have Lifeline, then I cast Wrath of God. At the end of turn normally nothing would return. But lets say I stack all my triggers, then all the opponetns. I let all the opponents triggers resolve, then activate the manland Raging Ravine before mine resolve. 

Do all my creatures now come back into play? I think the 'intevening if' clause would stop it from triggering, but people on another site seems to think this works. 

You are correct.  The ability doesn't trigger at all if there are no creatures on the battlefield.

Lifeline has an intervening if clause
if there is no creature on the battlefield at the beginning of the end step it will not trigger

you can of course animate the manland before the end step to have it trigger
proud member of the 2011 community team
Enigma, that would make it trigger for everyone, correct?
yes
Lifeline has an intervening if clause
if there is no creature on the battlefield at the beginning of the end step it will not trigger

you can of course animate the manland before the end step to have it trigger

No, there needs to be a creature when the ability would trigger for the creature dying, or it doesnt trigger and set up the delayed trigger for later.  It's the first trigger that has the interving if, not the delayed trigger.

There's this ruling in Gatherer:
If more than one creature is on the battlefield and all the creatures on the battlefield go to the graveyard at once, then none of them are returned at end of turn. This is because Lifeline's ability has an intervening-if clause, which means that there must be at least one creature on the battlefield at the time the ability resolves.

ahhh, I misread the card, I thought the intervening if was for the delayed trigger

so in that case there is no way for the creatures to come back after a Wrath of God (except if one creature is indestructible)
So could you activate a man land in respose to the trigger to get all the creatures to come back at the EOT? I think no because there will not be a trigger, but not 100% sure
So could you activate a man land in respose to the trigger to get all the creatures to come back at the EOT? I think no because there will not be a trigger, but not 100% sure

No.  If there are no creatures, it will not trigger at all.

If an effect is destroying all creatures at once, there's no way for Lifeline to get them back unless at least one creature is indestructible or regenerates.
Rules Advisor

Why wouldn't there be a trigger?
603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to "look back in time" to determine if these abilities trigger.
Example: Two creatures are on the battlefield along with an artifact that has the ability "Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life." Someone plays a spell that destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. The artifact's ability triggers twice, even though the artifact goes to its owner's graveyard at the same time as the creatures.

True, there won't be any other creature on the battlefield at the time the trigger is put on the stack, but that is entirely irrelevant.
603.4. A triggered ability may read "When/Whenever/At [trigger event], if [condition], [effect]." When the trigger event occurs, the ability checks whether the stated condition is true. The ability triggers only if it is; otherwise it does nothing. If the ability triggers, it checks the stated condition again as it resolves. If the condition isn't true at that time, the ability is removed from the stack and does nothing. Note that this mirrors the check for legal targets. This rule is referred to as the "intervening 'if' clause" rule. (The word "if" has only its normal English meaning anywhere else in the text of a card; this rule only applies to an "if" that immediately follows a trigger condition.)

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

There is a way to return the creatures. First of all, as Wrath of God resolves Lifeline will trigger for each dying creature; remember that, as a leaves-the-battlefield trigger, it checks the game state prior to the event, and at that moment there are some creatures in the battlefield. Then, before any of the triggered abilities resolve, you can activate the manland so that there'll be a creature when the intervening-if clause is rechecked. Finally, during the end step, the delayed abilities won't need to check anything else to resolve.
Interesting.  Thanks for the explanations.

That is interesting. I always thought the intervening if clause stopped the trigger from going on the stack if it was not true on the second check.

Thanks !

EDIT:
There is a way to return the creatures. First of all, as Wrath of God resolves Lifeline will trigger for each dying creature; remember that, as a leaves-the-battlefield trigger, it checks the game state prior to the event, and at that moment there are some creatures in the battlefield. Then, before any of the triggered abilities resolve, you can activate the manland so that there'll be a creature when the intervening-if clause is rechecked. Finally, during the end step, the delayed abilities won't need to check anything else to resolve.

Wait does that mean the one sided resolution IS possible if I stack the triggers with mine going on last and activating the man land after the other players have resolved? 
Technically, you would put your triggers on the stack first, since the stack resolves Last In First Out. Then after everyone else's triggers have failed to resolve (because they fail the check on resolution) activate your manland and all of the triggers for your creatures will resolve just fine.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Sign In to post comments