Welcome to Havengul Industries! (U/B Post-GTC)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

I made such drastic changes to my deck that I decided to make a new thread.

This deck involves using fun, non-canon pseudo-combo interactions with a few selective creatures. It's not competitive, but it'll make a few enemies' jaws drop.

The main strategy revolves around vampire generation through creature cycling: get out bloodline keepers , summon vampires, kill a keeper or whatever with grimgrin, corpse-born, attack, and then summon the vampire back with Havengul Lich; then endgame with a fed grimgrin and a Rogue's Passage.

My Alternative Strategies are: Creature stealing, graveyard stealing (hence the lantern), and milling. Creature stealing is Evil Twin, Graveyard stealing is Havengul Lich and milling is Consuming Aberrations

In addition there are a few alternative repeatable interactions in here:

First is Heartless Summoning+ Havengul Lich + Blood Artist + Consuming Aberration; for B, 1 life lost, 1 life gained, 3-4 cards milled; with Crypt Ghast I +1 my fun (forgive the extort redundency). Likewise 2 consuming aberrations would probably mill them before they can do anything.

Second is Blood Artist+ Heartless Summoning+Crypt Ghast. With 1 swamp, I get to gain 2 life and the enemy lose 2 life; not bad. With havengul lich, I can use the this repeatedly until I run out of swamp; if I must, I'll replace summoning with bloodflow connoisseur and settle with +/- 1 life and a +1/+1 counter per swamp.

Third is the Bloodline Keeper+Evil Twin interaction. Keepers are +2/+2 buff for vampires; why not make them +4/+4? or +10/+10? All it takes is a few Evil Twins.

Last is Evil Twin + Crypt Ghast + Havengul Lich --> Mind Grind. In the special case of drawing the 1 mind grind in the deck and having 5 copies of dragonba- I mean crypt ghasts on the battlefield and/or graveyard and/or hand, with a maximum of 5 islands and 7 swamps, you can use the spirit bomb: you mill every opponent until 23 lands (their whole deck) are shown. GASP! The actual numbers are lower, depending on if you have consuming aberration or if they manaramped like a boss. 

I kind of want to do Consuming Aberration/Falkenrath Noble + Gravecrawler + Heartless Summoning + Any Zombie interaction, but gravecrawler is expensive as heck; takes forever to set up, and is easy to kick down, which kinda sucks.

Heartless Summoning is the answer I got to accelerate my mana curve (though we're everything BUT). I also put in cyclonic rift and negates to deal with Grafdigger's cage, Tormod's Crypt and Rest in Peace

Against RIP and Tormod's --> Psychic Spiral and the extra negates to minimalize my losses.

Against Flashback/ Storm --> Tormod's crypt.

Against Aggro, take out summoning and beefies and put in invisible stalker+hands of binding, desecration demons and a Elbrus, the binding blade just for the endgame luls.

Against Control, put in Desecration Demon and Mikaeus and the extra negates, perhaps even stalkers cuz they're hexproof.

Against thrags or legendaries? Evil Twin can deal with that.

Against Boardwipe? Hopefully I can get recover creatures fast and furious with heartless summoning, otherwise negate hopefully.

Against Graveyard hate? Skip reanimation, and just focus on vampires. Hopefully Grimgrin + rogue's passage will win the game for me.

Sphinx's Revelation for 10? Hmmm.

bloodflow connoisseur is the sketchy one, since it's 1/1 and has no LTB effects, but I found that I'll need a cheaper reusable-sac outlet in case a)grimgrin decides to not show b)heartless summoning is being a douchebag and not coming up. It works because even with heartless summoning cast, I can just sacrifice a creature or flip bloodline keeper to save her from dying; giving her a permanent presence. However if summoning came before her, she just becomes a dead draw.

Early game is many controlly killy spells, accelerated by summoning/crypt ghast and helped by blood artist, connoisseur and such; late game I can choose how to proceed by what I draw... it's like a choose-your-own-adventure book!

Think of us as a assembly plant, with a myriad of different combos to achieve the ultimate goal of winning, and hopefully you can help with some suggestions. =) 

GTC card index:

Crypt Ghast 3B, 2/2, extort, you may have 1 more B mana per swamp tapped.

Consuming Aberration 3UB, */*, *= the number of cards in all enemies' graveyards, every time you cast a spell, Destroy the evidence without the land destruction.

Mind Grind xUB, mill until you find x amount of lands.

Hands of binding 1U, tap creature, creature doesn't untap on their next untap phase. Cipher.

I think that you're stretching yourself too thin with all of these combos.  Using mill cards in a non-mill deck doesn't seem very wise to me.  An alt strategy isn't necessarily a bad idea, but having 3 of them requires a plethora of cards that, in the longrun, work poorly together.  Focus on one or two strategies instead.
I think that you're stretching yourself too thin with all of these combos.  Using mill cards in a non-mill deck doesn't seem very wise to me.  An alt strategy isn't necessarily a bad idea, but having 3 of them requires a plethora of cards that, in the longrun, work poorly together.  Focus on one or two strategies instead.

hmmm. The problem is I'm not exactly sure what alt strategy I should pursue. The reason why I have 3 alt strategies is that my main strategy takes a pretty long to stabilize and is a bit on the weak side, so I made a strategy to make sure no matter cards what I draw, I can use them to win in different ways. Technically I only have 2 alt strategies; sac with blood artist and mill, but there are multiple interactions within the strategies that can help me stall until I get grimgrin out. 

I guess the good part is how these combos reinforce each other so I can have multiple interactions out at the same time, and killing off an integral part of 1 combo won't hurt me as much.