opponents wanted...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is the best way to attract opponents when the number of players is dwindling and the game stores aren't carrying the game (maps, boosters, etc.) anymore?  I love this game and have an extensive collection, but i want to PLAY.  How can I spark interest locally?
What is the best way to attract opponents when the number of players is dwindling and the game stores aren't carrying the game (maps, boosters, etc.) anymore?  I love this game and have an extensive collection, but i want to PLAY.  How can I spark interest locally?

Posting in the wotc modeling forum isn't going to give you the best results signup and post a thread here way more activity aaminis.myfastforum.org/forum50.php failing that do a demonstration at your game store people like the look of the game and maybe you will attract a history buff.
thank you.  i have posted a message there.
thank you.  i have posted a message there.

If can be painful to watch a game die, especially one as excellent as WAS. Darth has a point, there just isn't a whole lotta action over here anymore, and believe me, I hate to admit that. But I and a few others will try to keep the candle lit over here, as the old saying goes.

Do keep an eye out over here in the future as we do have some fan run custom card projects going. Just finished my set list for my next personal expansion for me and my playgroup, mostly it centers on sistership and aircraft variants from the units in Set 3, mostly, but not all. There will be about 46 cards in this one and the models are already available in existing boosters or on the singles market. Just sqeezing more out of my current collection.
I haven't played WAS much, my interest was mainly A&A minis -ground- .  I thank you for your comments, though.  I do hate to see a game die.  My brother started collecting microarmor (1/285 scale) back in the mid 70's and now i know of nothing that uses them.   btw he did have a few ships--you might want to search ebay for microarmor ships and see if that gives you any hits for your custom expansions.

also, i see there are sporadic posts here which is why i posed my question of attracting new players here, as opposed to the general posts.  and i like the pics of the customized vehicles/terrain!

My brother started collecting microarmor (1/285 scale) back in the mid 70's and now i know of nothing that uses them.

Well, for starts GHQ itself has two rulesets, one WWII and one modern, designed specifically for 1/285 scale.  The scale lends itself well to just about any tank-based game - I have personally used microarmor to play Flames of War, Blitzkrieg Commander, Spearhead, Mein Panzer, and Command Decision and that just scratches the surface of what's available. Models in 1:285/1:300/5mm/6mm scale are, in fact, extremely popular; you're just not very likely to run across rules that state specifically that they're for GHQ 1/285-scale miniatures, Scotia 1/300, etc.

I have also used WaS ships for Victory at Sea and General Quarters and, in fact, know several people who buy the ships but don't play WaS. I have used 1/2400 and 1/3000 scale ships from various manufacturers to play WaS. I have never been sued for using company A's miniatures to play ccompany Z's rules nor have either minatures or rulebooks ever burst into flames or turned into venomous snakes in consequence. The idea that any set of rules is limited to use with a specific set of miniatures and vice-versa is, outside the world of (gag!) tournament gaming, an illusion fostered by a fairly small group of manufacturers. Ignore it.

LT
I actually had my own naval game which I was developing, sort of a melding of Jutland, Harpoon, and Victory at Sea (remarkably similar in concept to what Richard Baker mentioned in his blog last summer) and pounced on WAS releases as an alternative to counters.  So AH-Brass is definitely right that these miniatures have application beyond WAS. Of course WAS was a great deal easier to play and it wasn't long before my game was set aside (though once and a while, I do take another look at it).  

I have hovered over this game forum because it is relatively easy to work with.  Forumini is a 100 times more active but it is easy to get lost attempting to follow posts or figure out where subjects were posted.  However, the biggest minus for me was that I have 380 sistership cards and I couldn't figure out how to post them on that forum, not to mention the challenge involved in reposting them (the moderators asked that cards not be posted on the forum but Ent has done so without lightening striking).  I finally have a Photobucket account so I will likely become more active on that other forum now that I have a mechanism to introduce them.

Sign In to post comments