Session handouts

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
-- Edit -- I'd like to turn this post into a 'share photos of your props' thread. If you're interested, it would be a good way to share resources and spice up some campaign action!  

When I was a PC in Eberron I really enjoyed when the DM would create handouts for the players. I thought that this added a sense of realism to the sessions. In the campaign I'm about to run I was thinking about leaving notes from Halaster (Undermountain) scattered throughout the dungeon.

In the first session, players will receive a flyer (their initial reason for all coming to Waterdeep's Yawning Portal on a specific day with a note from Halaster attached to the back (my Halaster speaks annoyingly in rhyme like the Halaster from NWN; pictures above). When they are lowered into and explore Undermountain there will be riddles, and if the players can solve them they can get through a door without having to break it open, or open a chest or tricket box. The loot they receive will be related to the answer to the riddle.

For example to open a small chest with some coins of goodluck inside, the players have to solve the following riddle. 
I drive men mad
For love of me,
Easily beaten,
Never-free. 

Does anyone else do this kind of thing and do your players enjoy them?
Yeah, I think this is pretty important to running a fun game! Your handouts look/sound great.

I am handing out the least amount I've ever handed out in my current game, because it's Dark Sun, so all the player characters are illiterate...so while there are still handout opportunities, a large chunk of usual handout possibilities are obviated.

On the very minor/easy to use level are documents the PCs find in the game. For example, in our game, they received a chit to mark that House Shom owed them 10,000gp credit for an assignment:

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-los...

Not a very exciting handout, admittedly. A more interesting one was found on the corpse of a dray diplomat they had just assassinated:

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-los...

They couldn't read the Draconic writing, but were able to have it translated by the Veiled Alliance; it turned out to be descriptions of how best to kill them, so it became clear that the dray were passing around assassination orders for them. 

Another time we used a written handout was when one of the PCs hooked up with an underground radical theatre group in Altaruk, and was invited to perform the title role in a new play, "The Farmer and the Scuppernongs". It turned out to be an obvious metaphor for the cruelty of the sorcerer-kings. I gave the player the script and let him embellish it so when the actual performance happened it was pretty fun:

www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-lost...

Earlier in the game, the PCs had visited a small village and heard local legends about the "Place of Forgetting", nearby. I actually constructed three little stories for these myths, all linked from here:

www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-lost...

One of the myths (Junius and Crespa) contained a clue about a magical power-up in the upcoming dungeon (the maroon and aquamarine colors in the myth are metaphorical, but represent real pools of colored magical liquid in the dungeon...drink from either one, get powered up, drink from both, get hurt).

Anyway, I love to see handouts!
I consider those things as "props", and anything that adds visual to the game I feel is awesome.  Majority of people are visual learners and anything visual is a good thing.  I sometimes use pictures downloaded from internet to show a scene or villain that I really can't describe in words.

It's awesome you are willing to put this much effort.  I just find it to be time and resource intensive though.  Inks for printers are not cheap.  

Also more effort and resource into prop I put into a game, more I expect my friends to appreciate the effort and the game...which does not always happen, and I get bummed out.  

There is one type of prop that my friends immensibly enjoy every time, and that seems to be props directly involved in the combat encounter.  If there is battle royal at a castle court yard, a well laid out scene of the castle court yard, they seem to enjoy and appreciate that immensely.  So for my friends, I put time and resource into that area.

Riddle props, a simple index card with the riddle written on it seem to do have just as much an effect on my friends as the one elaborately printed out.  But that may be just my friends though.

With the type of preparation you are doing, I would love to be in your game. ")

I love being crafty and I've found this really amazing website for D&D minis, so in the last week I've spent $380AU! Some of which I bought last night and won't arrive for a few days. 

I don't think the ink really bothers me because I use so much for Uni anyway. Plus I'm just so excited so start! (sorry about the random crap underneath the minis) 

Also more effort and resource into prop I put into a game, more I expect my friends to appreciate the effort and the game...which does not always happen, and I get bummed out.  

I definitely hear that...spending hours prepping for the week's session and then the player assigned to do the week's writeup never bothering to do it bums me out a little. But honestly I don't mind it too much, because I know that my friends are putting in a lot of effort just to be at the game every session (we don't play a "drop-in" game; everyone is too important to the plot, so if we're missing someone it's a big deal), so I can't hold it against them if they don't do "homework"; I don't want them to feel that the game is onerous.

Agreed about ink and paper being expensive; I am lucky enough to be able to print stuff out at work or get my wife to print color-cardstock stuff at the art studio where she works. I try to print/create color monster tiles for each combat so the cost would add up if I had to pay for it myself!

Stuff like this:

www.waxwingslain.com/dnd/grellgrid.jpg

Holy.. that is some sweet sweet collection MadIceQueen!

Hey Waxwingslain thank you for that link.  I think I am going to use your color cut out monster method in combat grid.  My friend has alot of the mini's but not always the right amount or the right creatures I need.  That is definitely a great idea!

You just google image for the monster pics?
Yeah, or I use the wizards.com art galleries. I make a red- tinted "bloodied" version, scale them down to 300dpi 1x2 inch, cut them out with a straightedge chopper, and then fold them in half with a little bit of Scotch tape inside to hold them shut. I used to laminate and glue them but it was a waste of effort since they keep well just folded/taped on card stock and stored in an envelope.
I have a few die-cut ones that you can use for pretty much any monster, but I wanted the sense of realism. The coins that I made I printed, cut out and glued together, but the problem was, at 40degrees celcius, the glue is dry before you've actually stuck anything together. 

What other props do you guys use? I've had an idea for an encounter using music:

The characters enter a room. Although it looks like it has been long abandoned, it still bears the markings of a small girl's bedchamber. Pink frills faded with age and laced with cobwebs lay draped across most surfaces. Porcelain dolls sit neatly on shelves, their blank expressions eerie.

In the centre of the room sits a small table, upon it lies a disc that appears to be emitting music, the like of which would be found in a child's music box.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-dcG3UhWXc&list...

Movement catches the players' eyes and on the disc they can see a figure whirling about in a ballet dance. Upon closer inspection, they can see it is an angle trapped in the dance. Her mouth moves soundlessly but players can tell that she's calling for help. Her eyes are distraught.

----
It's a pretty good song. This fellow also did 'The sad goblin' a tribute to the treasure goblins in D3, which is also pretty good.  

I have a few die-cut ones that you can use for pretty much any monster, but I wanted the sense of realism. The coins that I made I printed, cut out and glued together, but the problem was, at 40degrees celcius, the glue is dry before you've actually stuck anything together. 

What other props do you guys use? I've had an idea for an encounter using music:

The characters enter a room. Although it looks like it has been long abandoned, it still bears the markings of a small girl's bedchamber. Pink frills faded with age and laced with cobwebs lay draped across most surfaces. Porcelain dolls sit neatly on shelves, their blank expressions eerie.

In the centre of the room sits a small table, upon it lies a disc that appears to be emitting music, the like of which would be found in a child's music box.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-dcG3UhWXc&list...

Movement catches the players' eyes and on the disc they can see a figure whirling about in a ballet dance. Upon closer inspection, they can see it is an angle trapped in the dance. Her mouth moves soundlessly but players can tell that she's calling for help. Her eyes are distraught.

----
It's a pretty good song. This fellow also did 'The sad goblin' a tribute to the treasure goblins in D3, which is also pretty good.  

Oh God.  If the back drop of this setting was a dark gothic type abandoned mansion, in a Transylvania type of woods...with an occasional lightning flashing out the window, and I hear this classical piano music played for real, as my dm describes it coming from a room with the doors ajar at the far end of a creaking hallway I'm walking.  Then seeing the figure whirling about in a ballet dance on the music box...

I will be so prepped for a scary encounter that immediately follows.  LOL.

Talk about setting the real mood.  I luv it.

I definitely hear that...spending hours prepping for the week's session and then the player assigned to do the week's writeup never bothering to do it bums me out a little. But honestly I don't mind it too much, because I know that my friends are putting in a lot of effort just to be at the game every session (we don't play a "drop-in" game; everyone is too important to the plot, so if we're missing someone it's a big deal), so I can't hold it against them if they don't do "homework"; I don't want them to feel that the game is onerous.

Agreed about ink and paper being expensive; I am lucky enough to be able to print stuff out at work or get my wife to print color-cardstock stuff at the art studio where she works. I try to print/create color monster tiles for each combat so the cost would add up if I had to pay for it myself!

Stuff like this:

www.waxwingslain.com/dnd/grellgrid.jpg

Sometimes my players love all the prep I put into the game (and money I spend on it) and sometimes they don't so much.  But the fact remains, I LOVE IT.  I don't need their approval.   I LIKE their approval, but I don't NEED it.  I get as much out of the game from their antics as they get from mine, and each other's.  It's all good.

A DM's job is never done.  No rest for the wicked, etc.  They did, a couple of years ago, give me a "GM's Day" greeting card.  And I loved it.  I have to find the scan of that ...    

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I've made potions for my players.  Vodka + food coloring.  When they drank a potion in game they had to drink one at table.

I didn't tell them it wasn't water beforehand (but I knew the players were ok with drinking at the time).

Print outs.

I had a character who had really long nails so I had acryllic nails that I wore.

I don't use that many props at table (I should use more honestly). 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I've made potions for my players.  Vodka + food coloring.  When they drank a potion in game they had to drink one at table.

I didn't tell them it wasn't water beforehand (but I knew the players were ok with drinking at the time).

Matyr.. you just made my next session dming LOL.  I am so going to steal your Vodka shots incorporated into my game.  

My friends aren't much of drinkers.  They can be so geeky.  I drink beer or scotch on the rocks when i play though.  I am so going to use this to get my buddies drinking with me and get them little buzzed.  I just got to figure out how to incorporate it into the game...
I had an idea in the car on the way home tonight of like baking 'buff' cookies. So the player can, as a minor action before the encounter, eat a cookie that I have made that they have found lying around in a dungeon larder and it gives them a bonus to something. They would only have a few and they would look as if they would only be good for that particular day. With an insight check, they could probably tell that the cookies might do funky bad things if they tried to use them at a later date. Ergo, it would only be for that session. 

I don't know if I'd do the alcohol potions, but it's definitley a good idea! (I have a few people on p-plates coming and we can't drink anything and drive) 
My players love handouts. I like to do letters or work out puzzles (but i suck at drawing) I once did a puzzle based on sudoku that was a Dwarven Vault keypad sort of and it became known as the Dwarven Sudoku. 

I will often use the help of the master crafters from Character Development's thread What What do YOU think MY character looks like? and post text and have it put on  a scroll for a Handout for exemple, they are great help  Here's an exemple.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

A memorable thing I did that my players still talk about more than a decade later was during a Call of Cthulhu HORROR ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS campaign I ran. At one point, the characters were wandering through the dream version of a certain Eastern European city, and as they made their way through the streets they kept running across various scraps of papers with brief notes/clues on them...one skittering down the street on the wind, one impaled on a tree-branch, etc. One was found in the gutter, so I gave it to them wet and filthy (and they had to peel it open and decipher the text). The last one, though...they rounded a corner and found it sitting on a stoop, burning. As I described it, I lit the note on fire under the table and then flung it across the table at them before they knew what was happening. Some recoiled or shouted, but one quick-thinking player was able to slap it out, and rescued (most of) the clue...though a key word at the end had burned off, which was awesome as they tried to puzzle out what it could have been.

I know this was pretty unsafe and can't quite recommend it for others for this reason, but it was pretty awesome and really shocked some of the players out of their half-unfocused daze, and greatly contributed to the immersion in that dream-sequence part of the game. 
A memorable thing I did that my players still talk about more than a decade later was during a Call of Cthulhu HORROR ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS campaign I ran. At one point, the characters were wandering through the dream version of a certain Eastern European city, and as they made their way through the streets they kept running across various scraps of papers with brief notes/clues on them...one skittering down the street on the wind, one impaled on a tree-branch, etc. One was found in the gutter, so I gave it to them wet and filthy (and they had to peel it open and decipher the text). The last one, though...they rounded a corner and found it sitting on a stoop, burning. As I described it, I lit the note on fire under the table and then flung it across the table at them before they knew what was happening. Some recoiled or shouted, but one quick-thinking player was able to slap it out, and rescued (most of) the clue...though a key word at the end had burned off, which was awesome as they tried to puzzle out what it could have been.

I know this was pretty unsafe and can't quite recommend it for others for this reason, but it was pretty awesome and really shocked some of the players out of their half-unfocused daze, and greatly contributed to the immersion in that dream-sequence part of the game. 

And on the day the words CRAZY AWESOME were redefined, we all stood in awe and watched 

http://community.wizards.com/group/lgbt-gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Best defense that I've read in favor of having alignment systems as an option
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Definitely cool  

While I was at work yesterday (which gave me lots of time to think) some more things I am going to get are a foam egg (which I will paint) I was thinking that my players will find a nest of some sort. I'm thinking I will also make an adventurer's diary of the time that the adventurer spent in Undermountain before they met their demise.

For another encounter I'm going to locate a snowglobe. The players will be transported inside as part of a magical trap. 
For another encounter I'm going to locate a snowglobe. The players will be transported inside as part of a magical trap. 

I stumbled upon this thread only because it happened to be up on the main commmunity page, but I just wanted to say that the snowglobe idea is awesome (if you can find one that's not too chintzy-looking). Good luck with it!

At the conclusion of the snow globe adventure, just wheel around and whip it into the wall so it shatters.
I've decided to make a campaign treasure chest. The loot for that particular session will be kept inside (if it is only a chest they're seaching through). Alternatively, I'm making some smaller boxes for individual loot, so that if the players don't want the other to know if they find something really super cool, they can receive it in their box. 

T
he egg next to the chest is for an encounter I've planned where players will find an abandoned nest with this egg inside. It's aimed at the paladin and will be an egg for a mounted combat creature. 
That's a nice chest Madeline,    Hope your players enjoy !

What sort of mount for your Pally will the egg contain ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I honestly haven't decided yet. There was an article somewhere that I read on mounts. It might come down to rolling a d-something and it's purely random

These are the smaller boxes I mentioned.

oops! I had missed this thread Embarassed - sorry for the double post-  but here's a link to a handout/prop I used for a logic puzzle (
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...) and the instructions to run it.

please let me know if and how you share it, use it or adapt it in your campaign!  
Also, 

I made this one with the flash generator on http://bayeux.datensalat.net/ and some photoshop tweaks; they're going to find it out in the body of a fallen foe, possibly an assasin. The pictures are of their characters along with NPCs that they have yet to meet...
@Maluco, stealing that link.  Thank you very much.
I'm not very crafty, so most of the props and visual representations of any in-game items goes to the party rogue.  I do a fair amount of letters and books for the PCs to go through, though, and they seem to really dig those.

The first adventure we ran was Kobold Hall in the back of the DMG, and the PCs found Szartharrax's journal.
Show
5, Coronell 4215
I, Szartharrax, hatchling of Sbarlo and Krighton, having established myself as patron to Kruk Kruk and his legion of Skull Kickers do hereby commence this record of my rule so that I may learn from any missteps in the future and so that my eventual hatchlings may come to know the tribulations and glories of their mother at such time as I deem them fit for such knowledge to benefit their own conquests. I will be carrying out the plan given to me by my father so that this domain may one day equal his own in scope and influence in the name of Tiamat. First, I have found a willing champion in Kruk Kruk. His arcane power is yet weak, though I know that under my tutelage he may yet become a champion sorcerer. I firmly hold that other Kobold tribes will bow to his orchestrations now that he is backed by a beast as magnificent as only a White Dragon may be. * * *
20, Coronell 4215 I am certain that Armagon of Arkhosia’s tomb is not within this hall. Members of his family are laid to rest here, but no trace of his treasure can be found. If I can locate its whereabouts and there is any trace of the arcane influence that led to his madness left in them, I believe that I may drive my underlings into a frenzy the likes of which Fallcrest has not seen since its last purge 300 years ago. 1, Pellorune 4215 A third Kobold tribe, The Four Toes, have bowed to my yoke, though not without a struggle. Kruk Kruk has proven himself disappointing in this latest acquisition, and I was forced myself to eat the Four Toes chieftain in order to establish dominance. Kruk Kruk’s oratory skills are lacking, and in truth I hold that his tongue is better spent on his practice as an arcanist than on political maneuverings. I shall need to keep an eye out for a Kobold who proves more compelling to fellows of his kind. Of course, once I brought Goblins into the fold, keeping any Kobolds in a position of power will only serve to hamper the rising tide of my glacial storm. My den is beginning to feel more like home now, and I must admit that at first I longed for the familiar chill of my father. His wings have always shielded me from the rays of the sun, but now I find myself more and more comfortable in both my den and my position. I have decided to block the small passageway that has acted as such a convenient food source thus far. First, the last expedition returned with two fewer Kobolds than began it. Second, as my numbers are now great enough to go after small caravans and other parties it is no longer necessary for me to feast on anything less than the cold flesh of the so-called civilized lands.

18, Pellorune 4215 My first act of good will toward the goblins in the Keep of the Shadowfell have fallen on deaf ears. Only one Kobold returned, with the heads of his companions crudely grafted onto his skin. He died shortly after, and I am of the opinion that it was only some arcane ritual which allowed him to make it back to what is now dubbed Kobold Hall at all. I do not believe that even the most capable Hobgoblin could produce such a result. I will have to consider going there myself so that I may bring the full weight of Tiamat to bear on this particular situation.

23, Pellorune 4215 318 gp 437 sp 18 Long Swords of Dwarven make The last haul from a caravan heading to Hammerfast is a testament to how strong my followers are becoming. I will only keep enough of my treasure here to assuage the ticking in the back of my mind. I must do what father would want and take the rest to my mountain cave. I keep telling myself it is only a half-day’s flight. Wealth is its own reward, and even there it is still my own.

28, Pellorune 4215 Goblins from the south have sought my protective cover. This may well be the inroad that I need to gain access to the Keep on the Shadowfell. I distrust their intentions, and their story. Apparently, there is some unnatural evil that is eking out its existence in the caves which abound in Harken Forest. Arcanic energy is much stronger in these plains though, so I would imagine that a new blossoming of this type would center itself much closer. On the other hand, maybe news of my terrible presence has reached this creature and it is biding its time. Depending on its intelligence it may well be gathering proper tribute. Of course, there is always the chance that it seeks to usurp me, but what foolishness that would be for something which has only killed a handful of goblins, however effective it may be at that particular undertaking. I have decided to send the goblins as scouts to the Keep on the Shadowfell. I believe this will test both their loyalty and their ability before I grant them asylum here.

4, Pelor 4215 My goblin scouts have brought word that Shadowfell keep is well managed by a Kalarel. This is well-managed in the goblin sense of the word, so I am loathe to put much stock in such assertions. They say also that Kalarel commands undead amongst the goblins. There is a very good chance that this Kalarel has the treasure that I seek, putting it to a use in a far less utilitarian matter than I would. My heart burns as if lit by a thousand fires. I feel a boiling which is not at home in this cold skin. I will lie in wait, and when my legions are many, this Keep on the Shadowfell, all that inhabit it, and its grand treasure will be the first of many trophies to adorn my fledgling kingdom. Tiamat be praised. Praise Her from whom all wealth is vested.

The really fun part about writing this was basing the text on the way one of my students writes ;)

And the PCs recently came upon a book written by a group of Clerics of Pelor dedicated to wiping out the undead.
Show
On Vampires Highlights:

- Vampires do not produce a shadow.

- Vampires, though stronger than most undead are also more vulnerable to radiant powers (vulnerable 10)

- Vampires maintain all memories of their past life and a good majority of their past personality. We believe, though, that the soul is absent, as vampires are singularly wicked. - Vampires have strong regenerative powers (10 per turn). Regeneration does not function as long as the vampire is in direct sunlight. Radiant attacks do not seem to affect the regenerative abilities of vampires in our studies.

- Through the application of various weapons, implements, arcane, primal, and divine magic, we have noticed that vampires can be damaged with the same methods one would use to eliminate most any foe. The exception to this, would be that vampires in mist form are highly resistant to physical attacks. The inherent danger of escape from allowing vampires to assume mist form has halted most of our progress on that front. Silvered weapons do not seem to have an effect on a vampire.

- For the astute vampire hunter, the main challenge is the elimination of the subject’s ability to achieve mist form. In our own studies we rely upon the application of Pelor’s Links. Shackling, or otherwise binding the subject in these chains consistently produces the desired effect of halting a vampire within its corporeal form. Impaling a vampire with wood harvested from its gravesite has similar effect, though the efficacy of this strategy is diminished by its limited availability. Holy water is unique in that it is the only component we have found that can actually revert a vampire from mist form to its corporeal body. This corporeal change is short-lived however, and it does not seem to hinder the subject from re-achieving mist form in anywhere from six, to thirty seconds after application.

- A good defense is critical in an encounter with a vampire. The most dangerous of a vampire’s innate abilities is its dominating gaze. In this way, a vampire can have its victim willingly sacrifice him or herself as food or attack an ally. Our new policy requires that all technicians steel their willpower prior to experimentation through rituals, potions, elixirs, or magical supplements. We do not want – and probably could not survive – another incident like the Gray Fall.

- Vampire spawn are much easier to predict and destroy. The glorious light of Pelor will turn them to ash in seconds, and their bodies are delivered to true death from any blow that would halt the living. The spawn seem overcome by hunger, and do not have the duplicity or wits of their Vampire Lords in interrogations. Often, vampire spawn will not speak at all, as their hunger for blood seems to override all other concerns, even that of continued undeath. Some technicians insist that spawn are at least as intelligent as the creature they once were, but further analysis and experimentation is needed to verify this claim.

- On starving vampires: Vampires who are deprived of their grave soil have a hard time resting and regenerating. Over a period of a few weeks, they physical features have changed dramatically. No longer can these creatures pass for human. The skin becomes slack, the canines more pronounced. They lose their hair and their hands become as claws. Minor wounds do more damage, and they heal slowly, if at all. A fresh intake of blood helps temporarily to rejuvenate these creatures, but even with regular feedings, it becomes difficult for a vampire to sustain itself. It is not yet known whether a starving vampire will eventually reach a state of final death.

- The preceding information is gleaned through careful study of the book, the majority of which is a compilation of “experiments” that the clerics of Pelor conducted. The majority of these experiments are enough to make even Draxon’s stomach turn.
These journals are really good I'd like to see more when you write them
My players ventured into undermountain last night and had decided that H was going to be a bit of a dick-NPC. Then they came upon a treasure chest and their eyes lit up, and what did they find?? This:

I
've just made this for the next session. There will be a box with no hinges or lock. If they can solve the riddle, the box opens and the mirror is inside. 

Being the crafty sort, and involved in various theatre activities for a very long time, I've made tons of props and costume pieces - although rarely have they been used during gaming sessions. Most of the time my players just aren't the sort for whom props or music would really improve the game for them... The majority of the D&D-ish things I make are usually just personal projects for fun that end up going to various LARPers I know. Unfortunately, it rarely occurs to me to take pictures of the stuff I make before I give it away to someone...

In addition to dabbling in costuming and armoring I've made jewelery, leather goods, used various methods for aging paper to make vellum and papyrus scrolls, stamped/carved/electroplated a couple of coins and I've crafted a few "magic items" over the years such as wands and staves. (When my Rocky Horror cast did a live shadowcast of Army of Darkness, I made Ash's chainsaw, mechanical hand and the break-away weapons we used in the fight scenes.)

In an interesting coincidence, I actually made a snow globe once - a friend who was a pretty good illustrator had written a story featuring a really funky-looking castle on a mountain that was trapped inside a snow globe, and I ended up carving (and painting) a 2-inch-tall replica of it (based off one of her stylized illustrations) out of a fairly soft chunk of dark stone I found on the shore.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I
've just made this for the next session. There will be a box with no hinges or lock. If they can solve the riddle, the box opens and the mirror is inside. 

Show
Their reflection?

http://community.wizards.com/group/lgbt-gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Best defense that I've read in favor of having alignment systems as an option
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

@Beldak_Serpenthelm - you are most certainly correct! Hence the mirror
@MadIceQueen, I'm glad you liked the write-ups.  The next time I do one I'll be sure to post it as well.

Also, I dig the reflection riddle.  I've been trying to think of some good riddles some hags will be presenting my players with, and I think I can work that one in.  Thank you thank you thank you. 

I mostly use sketches as session handouts. For example the following: 

This NPC is Tarkas Gumbarts (greybeard) a venerable dwarven engineer and high priest. He is known as the creator of the new gates.

And this guy is Black Scar – a priest of Malar and a true werewolf. He was a major villain for some sessions.

Panartias, ladies-man and Jack of all trades about his professions:

"Once, I was a fighter -

to conquer the heart of a beautiful lady.

Then I became a thief -

- to steal myself a kiss from her lips.

And finally, I became a mage -

- to enchant her face with a smile."

Ok, so this is my latest idea. My campaign kicked off last week and there were some fellows who did not attend. One of whom is supposed to be a pixie of all things. These three guys have been captured , the two normal sized players will be kept in a cage with a puzzle lock. The pixie will be trapped in this jar, enchanted by the golden globe he holds. He is unaware that he is pretty much starkers. 

Ok, so this is my latest idea. My campaign kicked off last week and there were some fellows who did not attend. One of whom is supposed to be a pixie of all things. These three guys have been captured , the two normal sized players will be kept in a cage with a puzzle lock. The pixie will be trapped in this jar, enchanted by the golden globe he holds. He is unaware that he is pretty much starkers. 

Now that is very creative and just cool, that would be awesome to see at my table if I were playing that game!
After a trip to Bunnings (Australian hardware store) yesterday I purchased a sheet of flexible plastic. I thought "hey, this would be good for drawing encounters on if I draw a grid on the back". It just so happens that 5foot squares in D&D are one inch, and I have a quilter's ruler. So here's the finished product, it cost me about $10AU. So what I've done is after I've drawn the grid I've flipped it over and can now draw on it with whiteboard markers, it's about 32x55". 

I mostly use sketches as session handouts. For example the following: 

This NPC is Tarkas Gumbarts (greybeard) a venerable dwarven engineer and high priest. He is known as the creator of the new gates.

And this guy is Black Scar – a priest of Malar and a true werewolf. He was a major villain for some sessions.

Absolutely loving your sketches and drawings!
Absolutely loving your sketches and drawings!

Thanks! Smile There are more uploaded on my profile if you are interested...

And I’d like to return the compliment: Your stuff is awesome!

Panartias, ladies-man and Jack of all trades about his professions:

"Once, I was a fighter -

to conquer the heart of a beautiful lady.

Then I became a thief -

- to steal myself a kiss from her lips.

And finally, I became a mage -

- to enchant her face with a smile."

@MadIceQueen. 

Like the grid map.  Not sure of the exchange rate AUD to USD but it sounds like a decent price for just a little bit of time and effort on your part.  There are stores here that sell maps like that already made but they're a little pricey sometimes.
After a trip to Bunnings (Australian hardware store) yesterday I purchased a sheet of flexible plastic. I thought "hey, this would be good for drawing encounters on if I draw a grid on the back". It just so happens that 5foot squares in D&D are one inch, and I have a quilter's ruler. So here's the finished product, it cost me about $10AU. So what I've done is after I've drawn the grid I've flipped it over and can now draw on it with whiteboard markers, it's about 32x55". 

Did you just use a sharpie on the backside & whitboard on the front? I was planning on doing something like that, but totally didn't think to do the grid on the back, lol! All your stuff is pretty nice btw, good work!

Any other mapping ideas? I have a couple of the tile sets to use, but aside from those and fold-out maps, I'm stuck on design idea when it comes to the whiteboard-style stuff...anything to spruce it up so it's not so bland would be cool...
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
@jplay36 - I think it works out to be about the same, I still think we're at parody, but I don't know where you'd go to buy some. You can buy it buy the metre it could also be called 'table protector' as there was one with balloons on it (I assume for covering tables at b'day partys). There were three different thickness'.

@ Tech-Priest - i certainly did. Quilter's rulers are really good because they're transparent and are 24x6.5" and they have lines all the way along so you can make sure that everything is being ruled straight. I think the only thing is to remeber which side you're using for which. I was also thinking that getting fake plants for fishtanks would also work to make maps a little more three dimesional. It was a thought that came to me when I was walking through all the cheapy dollar shops. You can also get water rocks (water dishes for lizards and hermit crabs) from pet stores that would make a cool looking body of water. Because of the scale it would look quite large to the PCs. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know via PM.