Alienist Summoning Replacements

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was messing around with the Monster Manual and Lords of Madness the other day trying to fill the alienist's butchered summon monster lists back up with aberrations and the freakier-looking magical beasts, outsiders, and so on, and this was the result.

I did look at other books, but most of them didn't have enough of anything really interesting that I wanted to use, so I decided to keep it simple.  Summon monster I doesn't lose anything, but the higher lists are hit pretty hard, and I tried to fill in substitutes in a reasonable order and give something interesting; the chaos beast went straight back onto summon monster VI, since losing it makes no real sense from a flavour point of view.

Since this was a bit of a hack job, I'd love to hear some feedback on any obvious gaps, problems, or just some thoughts on the matter.

Summon Monster II:
Lost: Lemure (devil)
Added: Choker

Summon Monster III:
Lost: Dretch (demon), Small elemental (any), hell hound
Added: Ankheg, darkmantle, grick

Summon Monster IV:
Lost: Lantern archon, howler, mephit (any), yeth hound
Added:Juvenile arrowhawk juvenile, ettercap, saltor (illithidae), juvenile tojanida, minor xorn

Summon Monster V:
Lost: Achaierai, hound archon, bearded devil, Medium elemental (any), shadow mastiff
Added: Adult arrowhawk, cloaker, gibbering mouther, rast, adult tojanida

Summon Monster VI:
Lost: Chaos beast, chain devil, bralani eladrin, Large elemental (any), janni (genie), xill
Added: Chaos beast, displacer beast, kigrid (illithidae), water naga, average psurlon, spider eater, average xorn

Summon Monster VII:
Lost: Babau (demon), bone devil, Huge elemental (any), djinni (genie), avoral (guardinal), invisible stalker, red slaad
Added: Elder arrowhawk, chuul, digester, embrac (illithidae), spirit naga, elder psurlon, will-o-wisp, elder xorn

Summon Monster VIII:
Lost: Vrock (demon), hellcat (devil), greater elemental (any), lillend, blue slaad
Added: Director (beholderkin), cildabrin, destrachan, mind flayer, shaboath, elder tojanida

Summon Monster IX:
Lost: Couatl, bebilith (demon), hezrou (demon), barbed devil, elder elemental (any), leonal (guardinal), night hag, green slaad
Added: Shadowcloak elder (cloaker), delver, guardian naga, giant psurlon, hound of the gloom, roper, yrthak, zeugalak

EDIT: Accounted for slaad removal.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Should the destrachan be on a lower list? What about aboleths? Or the cerebrilith? Are the gray render and/or athach sufficiently strange?
Sorry for the random stream of consciousness; I'm staring at swirling snow.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
The cerebrilith I left out because it's a demon (flavourwise, the alienist is dropping all the regular planar stuff for freaks from the Far Realm) and because I was limiting the number of books to the most useful ones for monsters; the Expanded Psionics Handbook had a couple of viable options, but it came up short even against the Fiend Folio.  Tthe athach and gray render are a bit less creepy, flavourwise, but the list also retains some decent bruisers of their type in the psuedonatural creatures that substitute directly for their celestial and fiendish equivalents.

The destrachan was one of the last ones I filled in, so it went on as a utility extra to bulk out the 8th level summons with its blindsight; the aboleth is kind of inconvenient for being Huge, and aquatic, but might still be better than the destrachan now that I look at it.  The destrachan has a nice range of abilities with which to bomb opponents, but its save DCs are low.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I could have sworn the cerebrilith was an aberration. *shrug*
What about some of the beholder-kin?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
I could have sworn the cerebrilith was an aberration. *shrug* What about some of the beholder-kin?

The director, eye of the deep, gauth, and spectator are all in the right range (CR is a surprisingly good guide for summoned creatures, along with a basic check on troublesome abilities).  The annoying thing with them is that they generally have at least one ability that you wouldn't want to put in along with them; the eye of the deep would be constantly using its baleful flash and both eye rays (all of which are free actions once per round), the gauth includes a no-save exhaustion ray and a stunning gaze, the spectator has plane shift and is way too weak to put at a level where that would be reasonable.  "Beam-spamming artillery piece" just doesn't seem like the best option for a summoned monster.

Looking at it again, the director might work since the worst it's got is an enervation ray (which allows a Fortitude save to prevent the negative levels, and it's at the level where it wouldn't be too much of a problem.  It hasn't got a lot of hit points, but I could see it going in on the 8th-level list instead of something like the destrachan.

Looks like I forgot about the slaad already being on the summon monster lists when I was working off the SRD, which certainly gives some room to fit in the director on the 8th-level list.

The hound of the gloom can go in to fill out the 9th-level list, though an alternative would be the example half-farspawn umber hulk from Lords of Madness (I prefer not to use it, though, since the list will already be full of psuedonatural creatures).

How about a chilblain from Frostburn for Summin Monster IX?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
How about a chilblain from Frostburn for Summin Monster IX?

They've got the style, being an aberration and all, but they're well above the usual power level.

You get some really cool possibilities that just don't work because they're too strong all round, or have specific abilities that are too good (like the silthilar using a version of polymorph any object), or that will be dangerous to the summoner (like the umber hulk's confusing gaze).