Any Love For Spelljammer?

Anyone here interested in Spelljammer? I'm working on a world set in a Dyson sphere and in order to get around that fast I am thinking of doing a Spelljammer settinging set inside the sphrere. The fluff would be totally different of course although things like the Elven Navy, beholder ships etc will be the same. Also thinking of using elements from Star Wars Saga for ship combat. For those of you who do not know Spellhjammer was a tongue in cheek D&D camapign setting set in fantasy space published in 1989 IIRC for AD&D 2nd Ed.

Heres an updated example of a D&DN based Spelljammer ship.

Dragonfly.
Built By: Humans
Used Primarily By: Humans, Elves.
Tonnage 10 tons
Hull Points 10
Crew 3/10
Maneuverability Class: +0
Landing-Land: Yes
Landing- Water: No
Armor Rating: 12
Saves As: +2
Power Type: Major or Minor Helm
Ships Rating: As for spelljammer
Armament: 1 light balista or 1 light catapult.
Cargo: 5 tons
keel Length 100'
Beam Length 20'

and a Squidship

Squiship
Built By: Humans
Used Primarily By: Humans, Lizardmen.
Tonnage 45 tons
Hull Points 45
Crew 12/45
Maneuverability Class: -2
Landing-Land: No
Landing- Water: Yes
Armor Rating: 15
Saves As: +5
Power Type: Major or Minor Helm
Ships Rating: As for spelljammer
Armament: 2 medium balista, 1 heavy catapult.
Cargo: 23 tons
keel Length 250'
Beam Length 25'

Very simple d20 mechanics.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

apparently, a post that doesn't mention star wars is a post wasted. 

as for spelljammer, i can't get into it. i know lots of people love it to death, but it's just not the setting i think of when i sit down to play dnd.
SW had some good d20 based rules for ship combat thats all.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I am a fan of Spelljammer, though I usually have to ditch the wacky physics and crystal spheres to accomodate my more scientifically minded players.

I wouldn't call Spelljammer "tongue-in-cheek" though it certainly has humorous elements (giant space hamsters).  It can be run fairly seriously, it just has more comic relief than most settings. 

I don't remember what game system it was from originally, but I recall a game that treated ships as characters, basically, run communally by the entire party.  Everyone contributed skill checks and combat rolls and such during ship-to-ship endeavors. 

All around helpful simian

In the current game I am going to give everyone a bonus skill. Profession:Piot, Navigator and Shipwrigth takes care of most duties on the ship I suppopse.

Ship to ship combat will just be basic attcks firing seige weapons or magi tech weapons at other ships or they can close to board. I'm going to put the mud sorcerers tomb on an asteroid today for the PCs to visit. They have never played SJ before. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Anyone here interested in Spelljammer?

Yes there is! Smile

Yes there is! Smile

Any objection to warforged 19th century breach loaders;)

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I object!

It just sounds wrong to insert any kind of projectile into a warforged.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Yes there is! Smile

Any objection to warforged 19th century breach loaders;)

It's spelljammer, so ANYTHING can fit in it! Tongue Out

Giant Space Hamsters, humanoid elephants and hippos and space gypsies. Throw in some slintlocks and a few grenades and we're all set! 

Flintlocks I'm thinking of a magical gatling gun lol.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

It was my favorite 2nd ED setting (I also loved its mass combat rules, like 3 paragraphs, elegant and quick).
Ooooo

A Warforged Titan Ultraman that can transform into a Spelljammer

Psionic of course

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Spelljammer is one of my favorite settings.  Although it won't affect me, as I will likely buy a printing of the spelljammer setting if it's good, I'm hoping that ship-to-ship combat rules aren't only presented in the spelljammer setting.  I'm sure a lot of people would like ship-to-ship combat but may not care for spelljammer.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I would imagine that a ship-to-ship combat module would happen first in a naval/pirate/nautical setting or supplement and then would be expanded in to three dimensions for Spelljammer.  That's how I'd do it anyway.

All around helpful simian

I wrote up a bit of airship-combat rules for a 4E campaign I ran a few years ago.  Inspired mostly by SW d20 Starships of the Galaxy, so it wouldn't be anything incredibly new to you, but if anyone wants to read it and take whatever ideas from it you can, feel free.

www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/mornelit...
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
I would imagine that a ship-to-ship combat module would happen first in a naval/pirate/nautical setting or supplement and then would be expanded in to three dimensions for Spelljammer.  That's how I'd do it anyway.

Spelljammer and SWSE were both 2D on a mat. Currently playing now. THey are exploring an asteroid and ffound a crashed galleon and are looking for the mud sorcerers tomb.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Count me in!  The fluff was great plus rules for ship combat, "space" travel, and more would be great.  Plus, giffs, smokepowder, and tons of other insano goodies that D&D has been lacking for a while!

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Count me in!  The fluff was great plus rules for ship combat, "space" travel, and more would be great.  Plus, giffs, smokepowder, and tons of other insano goodies that D&D has been lacking for a while!

I agree with you on all points except smokepowder.  I know it was supposed to be gunpowder, but it was a magic item in AD&D 2e.  Which really made guns all the worse as a weapon choice in that edition.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Yo, Another vote for Spelljammer. I still dig how 2nd edition allowed travel throughout their Campaign Worlds via a Spelljamming Vessel. Dude I am also of course for Warforged and a link to Ebberon. I dig the strange sort of flavor. Sweet.
Ah Spelljammer... the one setting I could never get into.

Galleys in "space"? Crystal Spheres? Phlogiston?? Space Hippos???

Just... can't.

That said, I definitely like the idea of adventures in space. But space needs to be a lot more like, well... space.
Spelljammer is the only official setting I want at the moment.

I haven't played Spelljammer with my current group, so I don't know if they would like it, but I know I would.

Just... can't.

That said, I definitely like the idea of adventures in space. But space needs to be a lot more like, well... space.

My conversion is kind of cutting the cheesy bits. Up to a point;)

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Just... can't.

My conversion is kind of cutting the cheesy bits. Up to a point;)

I'm tempted to ask if there's anything left after that... Wink

But oh wait... there's Githyanki.

Githyanki can bring street cred to almost any setting. Almost...

Cheers!

I love spelljammer.  I would definately buy an updated campaign setting.  I still have the 2nd edition stored away with my old game books.

I do prefer my spelljammer more like the movie treasure planet though.  There is air everywhere, but it's also weightless.  Basically eliminate crystal spheres and add air everywhere.
I can't stand Spelljammer, but I'm cool with it. As long as I get Eberron.

Honestly, I think they need to focus a lot more on setting material this time around. Settings should be where most of the modular rules are. 
GIVE US SPELLJAMMER OR GIVE US....

hmmmn...

I do love Spelljammer, but I don't think I'd die for it.

Perhaps mild inconvenience.

Right.

GIVE US SPELLJAMMER OR GIVE US MILD INCONVENIENCE!

The mild inconvenience of home-brewing a straightforward world concept, but, still.  The point stands.

Spelljammer is awesome. 
Love Spelljammer and love 19th century breachloaders made of Martian floating wood.  ;)  (Space 1889, anyone?)

Matter of fact, my current Epic tier 4e group is on the Moon, having been captured by warrior moon maidens/battle angels.  Their only means of escape ....?

A Spelljammer.  Involving a lengthy skill challenge centering around the party's only Arcane character to help him control the helm.

(And yeah, I'm breaking out the boxed set with the ship floorplans for them to look at.)

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I am a fan of Spelljammer, though I usually have to ditch the wacky physics and crystal spheres to accomodate my more scientifically minded players.

I wouldn't call Spelljammer "tongue-in-cheek" though it certainly has humorous elements (giant space hamsters).

Tyranohamsterous Rex!
YES!  Spelljammer would be great!
Giant, Invisible, Phase, Firebreathing, Doppleganger, Space Hamsters ...

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

<----- Here's some love for Spelljammer!
My two copper.

Spelljammer and SWSE were both 2D on a mat.

The War Captain's Companion boxed set released 3-D rules for Spelljammer ship combat.

I have that but haven't looked through it in any depth beyond some of the deck plans for the ships and ship stats. I used it today for my players as I gave them a Dragonfly and minor helm. Converting things between 2nd ed and D&DN seems quite easy as I added some new skills like pilot and profession shipwright and profession:navigator.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Yeah BITD with spelljammer we only had the boxed set and msised the whole Scro subplot and expansions.

I think the fighter was a bit disappointed when I ruled MDD could not be added to seige weapons as he was eyeing up the Dragonflys light balistae. Game kind of tanked though for other non SJ related reasons (lvl 14 has ssues).

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Never really played it, doesn't seem like my thing. It has lots of loyal fans though, every RPG site I visit I see it mentioned with fans pining for it's return. I hope you all get it. You deserve it for being so patient with WotC.

I really hope that it does get it's time in the sun soon enough. I'm just a pessimist when it comes to WotC so I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Maybe in 6E, eh? 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Make a list of desired settings.  Rank them.

Spelljammer ranks near the bottom.  We did not come close to having it for 3e or 4e.  We can assume the same for 5e.
Never got too play, but liked the flavor(Giffs were awsome).

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

Love Spelljammer and love 19th century breachloaders made of Martian floating wood.  ;)  (Space 1889, anyone?)

Yeah, there was a Polyhedron magazine with conversion for Space:1889 to Spelljammer, very cool.

You mean one of the Dungeon issues from around '03?  WELL, I know what impulse purchase I'm going to make.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Make a list of desired settings.  Rank them.

Spelljammer ranks near the bottom.  We did not come close to having it for 3e or 4e.  We can assume the same for 5e.

I'm not assuming anyhting. I doubt Spelljammer would be popular enough to exist as a commercial product. 3.0 polyhedron did have a Spelljammer light mini game in it but it wasn't very good.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I don't know if it would be profitable enough to be a boxed set with cards and such.  But as a book like the campaign settings it would probably turn a profit.

I don't know if it would be profitable enough to be a boxed set with cards and such.  But as a book like the campaign settings it would probably turn a profit.

Hard to say and the reality is you are not going to see every TSR era camapign world get redone.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Some of the key elements of Spelljammer, such as flying sailing ships, work just as well in other fantastic settings without all the crazy space lore.  This probably explains it's relatively unpopularity.