Out of curiosity

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Out of curiosity, how many people here have used the Decklist Compendium other than asking for a decklist to be added?

Have you looked through lists and found cards/strategies you hadn't thought of? Has anyone read the advice section I wrote who was new to the format and thought, "yeah, thats good advice?" 

I can look at see that it has almost 60,000 views as of this posting, but that doesn't tell me if its helpful or not. 

3DH4LIF3

I've used it quite a bit for ideas.  Mainly, I use it to get ideas when I've already decided on a general.  What I really like to do is make the deck with zero outside assistance, take it for a spin, then consult the compendium for ideas.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I like to peruse it for ideas with various commanders of what might work which I haven't already thought. There are plenty of cards I don't know about or have simply forgotten over the years, and commander makes them come back to usefulness. I read the advice sections and gotten some tips from it, so that helps as well.

I like the whole section as it can aide new players, reinvigorate veterans with ideas, and help out the commander community as a whole.

And, by the way, I posted a link to a Karrthus deck if you want to add it into the list in the first post. Nobody ever commented on the actual thread, so maybe it isn't popular enough, but I'm sure somebody can get an idea or two from it if you can get it linked.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
I look at it quite often to look at what other people put in decks I've thought about building and just to look at lists.
Very good resource. I use it when looking for ideas for cards and combos for various commanders that I'm running, or thinking about running. Thanks for all your hard work!!!
Haven't used the one here as a resource yet, but I have used the one from the MTG Salvation forums. I've found it incredibly useful for finding great cards that may be easily overlooked for being lesser-known or somewhat obscure. I also get an idea of how other people build and play a certain deck, what works and what doesn't, etc.
Honestly I don't use it often.  I have an idea about what I want to make and then I will ask about certain cards for ideas in the forums.  That's about it.  Not to be an ass, but I'm not sure why I post my decks up for it.
Honestly I don't use it often.  I have an idea about what I want to make and then I will ask about certain cards for ideas in the forums.  That's about it.  Not to be an ass, but I'm not sure why I post my decks up for it.

It was intended as a tool for new players. I haven't resorted to looking at a decklist for ideas in a long while... I'd much rather ask for an idea on what commander to play and then do my own research with Gatherer.

But thats because I've been playing Commander for... hmm... several years now (?) and sorta know what to look for.

I don't think a lot of new players are going to be able to jump right in and build a great deck, which is where the decklists come in. 

As for why you post lists... you don't think it feels good share? or that its kinda neat that anyone can look up your decklist for inspiration? I do. 

3DH4LIF3

I usually build a deck from the cards I have, maybe play it a few times, then check the list to see how others have built the deck (especially if I am getting hosed). I do not keep up with new sets and don't have any pre-iceage cards, so checking other decks can expose me to cards I wouldn't otherwise know about. I spend a lot of time on gatherer thinking of what phrase or word to put in the oracle search too :-) I find my decks never match what other people are doing too much with the generals that I play, so I've never really copied a deck, just grabbed a couple of card ideas. I also like to see what ratios people are playing, in terms of land/non-land, creature/non-creature etc. 

I've thought several times about posting my decks on it, just never got around to it.
I use it pretty frequently when I am thinking about deck ideas. Generally, I check to see if the general I have in mind is being used and if so, is it being used the way I plan on using it, and if so, if there were any ideas I didn't realize.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Although I don't use it (I haven't been building decks lately) I do plan to try and build a decklist for it one day. However, I'm not likely to look at it for "inspiration" or anything.
Don't be too smart to have fun
As for why you post lists... you don't think it feels good share? or that its kinda neat that anyone can look up your decklist for inspiration?

It goes back to why we do not use the list for inspiration.  Rarely do I feel that my lists differ from anyone else's in terms of sneaky or interesting tech.  Due to on colour staples, lists are, I find, a rehash of themselves in different colours.    It does feel good to share, but lately it has seemed a little redundant.

I think it's a fairly good resource. But I use it rather sparingly. Mostly I just google what I'm looking for, and I get 20 or so opinions.
I actually just checked it yesterday to be honest. The deck I was looking for (islands' thada adel list) wasn't listed so I had to fall back on google haha, but I tried!

I don't think I've ever used the compendium as a source for ideas in the "what deck should I build next" sense.... I have skimmed over the decks in it almost everytime I built/tuned a new deck just to compare and make sure I'm not missing out on any cool tech. For example, I'd forgotten alchemist's apprentice existed until I saw it in your animar list. Perfect card for that deck too.
Islands never asked for it to be added... but ive thought about looking it up and putting it in a number of times.

You found it though, right?

3DH4LIF3

I just noticed you linked to it... is that the original thread? Or am I thinking of his erayo deck...

3DH4LIF3

Out of curiosity, how many people here have used the Decklist Compendium other than asking for a decklist to be added?

Have you looked through lists and found cards/strategies you hadn't thought of? Has anyone read the advice section I wrote who was new to the format and thought, "yeah, thats good advice?" 

I can look at see that it has almost 60,000 views as of this posting, but that doesn't tell me if its helpful or not. 

To be honest, I only look that the deck listings in the first post.
I used it couple time.
I said earlier that I peruse the database for ideas on existing decks.  However, I do like adding mine for a few reasons.  I like having them there as a reference, to see the deck completely organized, which makes it easier to figure out what should stay or go.  I also like having them available for others to reference for ideas.

Yeah, it's nice not having to look through all the threads to find my list when I swap a card out of a deck
I've used it for every commander deck I've made.  I find it great at giving me ideas on how to build a commander, or what cards work well.  It makes it easier then using the search function which is nice. 
While I've been playing Magic for several years now I just recently started getting into EDH and I'd say it's a really nice tool. Like others have said, I don't look at the compendium to find my next commander but instead I'll start off with a skeleton build of my next EDH deck and then look at the strategies people have for my next commander, or for cards I hadn't thought of/didn't know existed.
I use it more to see what other people are doing.  There are several Riku builds on there and its cool to see how three diffrent people can look at the same comander and make three diffrent decks.  So year I thinks it's pretty handy
Excellent. I'm pleased that its being used how I intended.

3DH4LIF3

There's another benefit for players like me.  While I've been playing since Ice Age, I have taken a few sebaticals, which means I'm not as familar with cards released during those times.  The compendium helps me find cards I didn't know existed.

I have only been playing Commander for about 3 weeks now. I have made three EDH decks (or still making and finding cards). My first idea was to make a Niv-mizzet deck and i saw this link and looked at the various lists. It was very helpful for a few reasons. 1) There were a lot of cards i didn't know 2) it pointed out some strategies and pitfalls of a niv-mizzet deck (like decking yourself) 3) i am a terrible deck builder... 

I then went to build a green white token deck, I looked at the few posted but i didn't really like the overall feel of some of the decks, but it gave me a few ideas. I am still working on it but its turned into a token deck/ repeat performance deck (like the event deck from m13?).

I use it a lot to tweak my decks or get ideas to what I'm missing.

Also I think the deck list needs a look over since there are some decks that have an banned generals too