Promo unlocks in "Deck Pack 4"? Can we ask for it?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
There are a great number of threads about promo unlocks for deck packs. And most of them are pure theory and dreams. For now at least. There was a precedent with Random deck option - Wizard_Sean said that our votes was passed to the company. So - what do you say if we ask them to issue some kind of "Deck Pack 4" that would add 10 extra cards to the decks from previous ones?

I see it as a win/win. For us advantages are obvious. For them - too (especially considering rather big amount of complaints about Deck Pack 3 and probable decrease of clients' interest). The price can be slightly less or even the same - as for me I would buy it anyway.

Moreover - there are a lot of interesting and creative ideas about it in all of the mentioned threads for them to use.

What do you think?
Doubtful, but I'd pay, for sure.
The new decks feel a little weak... but a couple of the right cards could really help them out.

Would love Coalition Victory for MM. 
Idk if GP and MM need 10 more cards, but the other decks could sure use it. For Dimir, I want to see more bounce, that way I might be able to put Mindleech Mass in my build.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

I'd pay for 10 more cards in each deck pack except for MM.  Adding Coalition Victory to it would turn a virtually unstoppable deck into an actually unstoppable deck.  It is rare that I don't have all 5 colors on turn 5.  When unlocking the deck, a turn 6 Fusion Elemental wasn't difficult.  With all of the card draw, graveyard recursion and Conflux, MM might even be able to regularly beat mill.  I think its weakness to mill, GM and MS are the only thing keeping it from being played all of the time.

But a deck pack 4 with 10 cards for each deck pack is a great idea.  A number of them sorely need it.  If MM got 10 more cards, I'd hope that they were significantly underpowered, like adding 10 Wood Elemental
If we do get a deck pack 4, I don't want it to be just some promo cards for each deck, but 2 actual new decks as well. Give us a couple 3-color decks.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

I think MM tells us its the last dlc for this game so dont get ur hopes up and since it seems lie there goal for each DoTP is 2 more decks than the last game and that goal has been fufilled for DoTP2013
I would actually rather have 5 new cards for each deck/15 for the deck packs already out ...then 2 more new decks..i believe this game was the most fun when each deck had 10 new cards and last years game was most fun right when the expansion added cards to each deck!!
DLCs for the DLCs? :p

I would feel kinda silly paying for something like that, but as long as it doesn't cost too much it should be a easy sell. Although I am worried that it would send a message to wizards that they can make weaker decks so people will pay more money to make them better. But if the extra cards came in another expansion with other content in it then it would be a much easier pill to swallow.
Although I am worried that it would send a message to wizards that they can make weaker decks so people will pay more money to make them better.

I think that in this particular situation it's more like a patch) If there were no additional cards, it wouldn't be any need for it. All must be on equal terms) Son it'll be no need for such thing further.

It was said by many that no promo cards for deck packs is mistake (even admitted one). And mistakes have to be corrected)

+ there are so much efforts in the related threads (this one and so on). they must not be in vain)

Although I am worried that it would send a message to wizards that they can make weaker decks so people will pay more money to make them better.

I think that in this particular situation it's more like a patch) If there were no additional cards, it wouldn't be any need for it. All must be on equal terms) Son it'll be no need for such thing further.

It was said by many that no promo cards for deck packs is mistake (even admitted one). And mistakes have to be corrected)

+ there are so much efforts in the related threads (this one and so on). they must not be in vain)

It depends if we're the ones paying for that mistake. If they're free like the other ones, awesome. If on the other hand they make it into a DP4 idea for say $2, and it sells well then it would be clear evidence that they can profit from a "mistake", and said mistake would magically repeat in the future.

I don't think that it'll be that bad. Greed is a powerful motivator, but it'll be against common sence. Because it'll be no better then plain extortion (which is bad for business). What am I saying - it is obvious that additional 10 cards are highly needed here. And smth must be done.

I agree - great if it'll be smth with additional content - for example  
stuff to unlock besides cards - unlockable titles and personas.

Like win 100 matches with a blue deck (or splash of blue) and unlock a Jace avatar.

Not really, common sense tells me if people are willing to pay for something the 1st time then chances are they'll pay for it again, and if I want to keep making money I should keep doing that something. In this case if I was them I would see that I can make some lousy decks(at least compared to the others), get money from those and still make even more money from "fixing them". Why wouldn't I do it again if it keeps making me money?

Now I want additional cards for those decks too, but not if I'm going to see that kind of crap in 2014 and beyond. Because sure they'll come off as greedy but if we're going to reward that greed then they come off looking really smart too.

All that being said perhaps there's ways for both of us to be happy. Like say instead of just additional cards for the DPs a few more for the original + expansion as well? Like I dunno 2-3 while the DPs get 12-13? Rough numbers but you get the idea. That way they'll be selling actual content for the whole game instead of us just paying for their mistakes.
Would people be happy if they added the "missing" promo cards free with Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014? For people who already owned Duels 2013. I think that would be cool. Then again it might distract from 2014, so I doubt that would ever happen either.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I think that the main benefit for them from my proposition - people will stay with the brand longer. If it will be released in February or March, they can save or even increase their auditory for DotP 2014. Otherwise they may lost part of it due to lack of interest in the game and dissapointment in the matters of balance.
I hope people wont mind if I do some speculation here. I'm going to guess that the reason they switched to deck packs instead of expansions that add cards to old decks in the first place has something to do the console patch costs and requirements. My theory is it is much easier to adding new deck files as dlc, than it is to add cards in to existing deck files (or fix bugs) in a patch. This makes adding promo unlocks to the dlc decks the same as an expansion that they have already decided not to do. Remember the first expansion and promo codes already has all the data done in the game at release and I beleive I read microsoft gives one free patch.

To support this theory look over this thread about skullgirls patch problems. It has a developer posting some interesting information on their xbox patch troubles.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50...

"And, as I explained in another post, making this DLC was impossible because the loading time fixes required massive file system changes, and that meant updating both the executable and the data."

So microsoft has different policies for dlc and patches. Deck packs can be dlc but adding cards to a deck might require updating existing data, falling into the patch category. That is just my speculation though and could be wrong.

"I know things have changed under the hood somewhat, but officially the 4 MB Title Update policy still stands.

Also, there are politics involved in this: all but one or two of those games you mentioned are multi-millions sellers. Smaller independent games don't have nearly the clout, and aren't treated the same way. Millions of people buy those games and their DLC, so of course they're going to get preferential treatment. And I'm not being cynical - this was stated pretty directly to us.

Konami put out an update for Leedmees that I think was ~300 megs? And that took nearly 6 months to get approved."

Since this is not a big game, Dotp does not have the clout to easily ignore restrictions. I think it is safe to say a bunch of new cards would be more than 4mb. And if they want to have the game and updates out exactly a month before set releases for their cross marketing strategy, they can not afford any delays like skullgirls or Leedmees suffered to get approved.

Especially for this point

"Thanks, man.

MS's parity policy extends to DLC as well, so once the 360 patch is out we should be able to get the color packs out on both systems. "

Microsoft will not let content go onto other platforms first. They all have to wait for microsoft or they will never show up on the xbox. That is the only reason the ps3 color packs for skullgirls is not out already. The ps3 skullgirls patch didn't have to wait though so I assume bug fixes and balancing don't count as content for this, but a dotp expansion definitly would fall under "MS's parity policy". A delay to the xbox version is a delay to all versions.

"Sony has guidelines for patching and development, but will bend them and work with you to make what you want to do happen. Somewhat different cases, but they wrote all new rules for Dust 514 and Journey, since both games went well outside their previous policy regimes.

But Sony was really supportive and helpful (especially Mangod) during Skullgirls' development, too. I basically owe Shane dinner for life, but haven't had a chance to treat him yet.

Also, Sony waives patch submission fees if your patch has more than just bug-fixes and adds new, free content. For indies, this is HUGE, and also good for consumers. "

PS3 seems like it is less troublesome. And we know steam and apple have free patches for any size so those shouldn't cause any problems.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just thought I'd share.
The new decks feel a little weak... but a couple of the right cards could really help them out.

Would love Coalition Victory for MM. 

At first I wanted that card but this deck would win even more then it does now. You can burn through most of your deck rather quickly so hitting this card would not be that hard at all.
I would rather they just scrap the current DoP and make a new one! Wink
I would rather they just scrap the current DoP and make a new one! 

Didn't you hear? They're doing that.

No, really? You have a bad sense of sarcasm. LOL

WHAT?  A new DotP?  Since when?

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I know it's totally crazy but I'm calling it now: Wizards will do a new Duels of the Planeswalkers game and they will call it..... Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014!!!! 

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I know it's totally crazy but I'm calling it now: Wizards will do a new Duels of the Planeswalkers game and they will call it..... Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014!!!! 

I'm going to predict that they will also make a Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015.  Bookmarking page now so I can reference this prediction in a year and a half!

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

The decks are fine, a good metagame strategist will tell you each deck has it's niche place in the game. Even the worst have at least one good partner in 2HG.

Garruk isn't really all that poor and he is completely ridiculous in Planechase.

And you have horrible comedic timing. Did you not notice the smiley?
Besides, I figured at the least you'd appreiciate that I followed up your post rather than someone telling you your post added nothing and was needlessly negative.

And you have horrible comedic timing. Did you not notice the smiley?
Besides, I figured at the least you'd appreiciate that I followed up your post rather than someone telling you your post added nothing and was needlessly negative.

I hear if you look up gullible in the dictionary there is a picture of a Splattercat. Laughing
Sign In to post comments