Promo Unlock Thread Discussion - Rogue's Gallery

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Use this space to post for cards you would want in RG and explain why you chose it.

To participate in the promo unlock poll, use this thread.
In RG, I would want as many Baleful Strix as possible. I can't have more than one than one, so Tidehollow Strix is not at the same level, but it is a good substitute.

But this deck would be much better with just 2 Baleful Strix.

And the only card in the deck, I regret of just having a single is Mask of Riddles. So a second one, it's a must have.
Here is my list:

With that out of the way, let's go to the explanations:

Barrin's Spite

Every promo list includes a card that's already in the deck. Spite is an excellent card that plays well with the deck them of connecting with small  dudes that do something when they connect.

Nyxathid

Every time WotC makes a discard deck in DotP without this guy, Nicol Bolas kills a Sanctuary Cat

Brainbite

It was a big surprise for me when I saw this card wasn't in the deck. It's already in the game! The best thing about it is the cantrip.

Cemetery Puca

No matter how you want to play this deck, this card will be great. He loves the discard cards, the removal cards, the mill cards...

Baleful Strix

This card is almost too good. Flying and Deathtouch combined in a great wall. And it gives you a card!

Black Sun's Zenith

Damnation is all over DotP'13, so I went with its cousin. Sometimes Damnation will be better, others BSZ will, so it's just to have some variety.

Recoil and River's Grasp

Both are very good and very similar cards. Recoil is cheaper, but River is better if your opponent doesn't have an empty hand.

Consult the Necrosages

This deck needs a little draw/discard that is not creature based. Consult gives both and saves space in my promo list

Undermine

A broader counterspell. I'm sure the damage will not make or break anything, but it can be relevant here and there.

Honorable mentions:

Whispersilk Cloak

Protects your precious Dimir Cutpurse and help he getting in.

Shadowmage Infiltrator

Has a decent cost and is easy to connect. Also, it's freakin' Jon Finkel!

Sakashima's Student

Ninjutsu is perfect for this kind of deck. The effect here is amazing for the cost.

Silent-Blade Oni

Ninjutsu again. This is more on the bomb side of the spectrum.

Evil Twin

This card is just very cool

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

1x Consult the Necrosages

Quite possibly my favorite u/b card, next to the cutpurse, mindleech mass, and half a dozen other cards. (u/b is my favorite color combination)

1x Baleful Strix
1x Tidehollow Strix

More solid early game creatures that receive the full benefit from Helm to boot.

1x Undermine

Standard u/b counterspell fits right in.

1x Recoil
1x Blizzard Specter
1x Unsummon
1x Into the Roil
1x Deny Reality
1x Clutch of the Undercity

I really want to see more bounce in this deck. Not only does it help the discard theme and getting creatures like cutpurse to connect, but it also goes well with Mindleech Mass. Clutch also has the benefit of tutoring for any of your various good 4 drops.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

I actually wish this deck had more transmute in general. Not sure if that's a b/u thing or if one of the sets just kinda did it, but I really like the mechanic, and had a u/b deck that ran based around that principal in some program.
2 black suns zenith 2 undermine and 2 the racks and id be good
I really like some choices posted like Consuming Vapors and Nyxathid.

Consuming Vapors is probably better than Damnation for this deck. It just kills your opponent creatures and gives you life at the same time which is good to sustain Moroii. It works well with Dimir Cutpurse also. 

Nyxathid could be a good and cheap finnisher.

But I'm the only one to like Mask of Riddles?.
I really like some choices posted like Consuming Vapors and Nyxathid.

Consuming Vapors is probably better than Damnation for this deck. It just kills your opponent creatures and gives you life at the same time which is good to sustain Moroii. It works well with Dimir Cutpurse also. 

Nyxathid could be a good and cheap finnisher.

But I'm the only one to like Mask of Riddles?.

The Mask is decent, but I don't think the deck needs another one as it needs more romoval or counterpells. I don't think I would play a second copy in the deck, although I use it in my deck.

Nyxathid is just too efficient in this kind of deck. I don't know why WotC ignored him for the 3rd year in a row.

Vapors is just a very good card overall. I probably wouldn't play it over a sweeper (this deck is too frail against aggro decks), but it would improve the deck, that's for sure.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

The cards I think this deck needs have been mentioned a few times.

2x Recoil
2x Undermine
2x Consult the Necrosages
1x Whispersilk Cloak

And 2x Distortion Strike instead of 2xInfiltrate. Talrand getting them while this deck does not is just wrong.

edit: forgot 2x Baleful Strix 

And 2x Distortion Strike instead of 2xInfiltrate.

If anything, I think Artful Dodge would be better than both.

I think ninjas would work great with all of the unblockables we have.  Some of the abilities atached to these guys will bait your opponent into some fun Agony Warps as well. Some of them are expensive, but I hardly miss land drops with this deck due to all the drawing.

The strixes(strixi?) are there to hold back fatties from the opponent while you ping away with unblockables.

Like the charms in MM, I like the necrosages flexibility. It's usually a mind rot, but is a divination when their hand is empty.
These all look great but I would prefer [C]Swiftfoot Boots[/c] over almost any other card.  The hexproof synergizes well with the Enchantments and Mask, and the Haste really helps the speed issues for it's ublockable damage race.  2 of those would be amazing in this deck.
Of all things, Death is least permanent.
These all look great but I would prefer [C]Swiftfoot Boots[/c] over almost any other card.  The hexproof synergizes well with the Enchantments and Mask, and the Haste really helps the speed issues for it's ublockable damage race.  2 of those would be amazing in this deck.

Don't think adding 1 cmc to every creature you want to equip is a good idea. If anything, I think Whispersilk Cloak would be better. Or Lightning Greaves.

Don't think adding 1 cmc to every creature you want to equip is a good idea. If anything, I think Whispersilk Cloak would be better. Or Lightning Greaves.

Yeah but the shroud can kind of screw you with any enchants you might want to use or in equipping the mask.  Hexproof works much better IMO.  Adding 1 CMC to the cost of the creatures doesn't bother me at all when it provides same-turn attacks with the cutpurse as well as limiting opponent removal options.
Of all things, Death is least permanent.
the more i think about it id really like bloodchief ascension in this one instead of red/black.  The 2dmg unblockables make alot of sense to both trigger the ascension and the ascension gives you lifegain so can just keep swinging, not have to chump block as much.  Not to mention the mill 10dude or 2cost card would be GG alot of the times.

so put me down for the 2 BSZ 2undermine and trade the 2racks I had wanted before for 2 ascensions I like black suns zenith shuffle back effect espesially with the descent card draw...sometimes in my Izzet deck it just seems like the red one keeps coming back.  and undermine is just obvious!!

o and lightning greaves/boots wow I think I could fit one of those cards into every single (creaturecentric) deck  in the game !!!
I apologize in advance if I missed some previously posted information, but shouldn't the voting (poll) for the Rogues' Gallery "promo" cards have started.  It looks like we have been selecting cards for over one week...thought the voting started at the end of 168 hours.

Thanks to anyone who knows what's going on.  After this, I would think we would start nominating cards for Mana Mastery?
Dimir needs x3 go for the throat. X2 mind rot and two more inkfathoms and I'd be happy
Sign In to post comments