party of dragons

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
so im running a new game, set in 4e.  the premise for the characters is that they r dragons.  i had them also make 1st lvl characters that is what their dragons r in humanoid form.  their charcters just became aware of their draconic selves and im wondering how best to make sure the game doesnt get over balanced.  im thinking that the ability for them to turn into dragons is either an encounter or daily power to start out with.  any advice as to this and maybe any other ideas would be more than welcome to hear.
maybe give them some dragon abilites such as their breath weapons and perhaps a few others (cant think of any atm). then once theyve gotten to a higher level they can tranform completely into Dragons for a short while. so its more of a development and helps a bit with balancing rather than just "poof" dragon time.
I'd stat up the dragon forms as companion characters and say that the PCs could change shape at-will, standard action. The players would track HP and status effects separately for their dragon forms and their humanoid forms, so that if, say, the player's dragon form was knocked out, they'd just be locked into humanoid form until they could be healed. You're effectively letting your players control two characters each, so you'd have to make encounters twice as difficult.

You could also just have everyone play as dragonborn. That gives them the iconic breath weapon right out the gate. If they all take the Scion of Arkhosia paragon path they get wings. Arcane classes qualify for the Draconic Incarnation epic destiny, which lets you turn into a watered-down dragon once per day. That's a more rules-oriented approach to creating dragon PCs, and the problem is that it locks your players into a certain progression. Also, it does a nice job of conveying a character gradually turning into a dragon, and while it's a cool concept I'm not sure it's what you or your players want. That's why I'd go with the companion character thing.

Whatever you do, please let us know how it goes, I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.
All Dragonborn Party: something I have been looking forward to trying at some point.
All Dragonborn Party: something I have been looking forward to trying at some point.

Just quoting this.  Dragonborn are good at a wide range of classes, and have a lot of PPs and EDs available to them which are basically 'turn more and more into a dragon', up to and including being a Huge dragon for an encounter per day at epic.  And all dragonborn party could be pretty nice.

Whatever you do, don't give them the ability to play as dragons from a monster manual; the monster maths don't work the same as the PC ones, their damage and HP will be way off.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Plus you can always re-fluff any spell that lets a character move farther or fly into "spreading wings for that extra burst of speed".
Fly spell? Well, now it's just that the dragonborn is using vestigial wings to get a bit of lift.
Dragonborn are very versitile and capable of adopting a lot of classes and just about any role.
Make sure you have the Dragonborn Splatbook if you don't have a character builder.
Well I appreciate the replies. Let me further clarify something though. The dragons they r playing as are only hatchlings. So they r not full blown dragons. And when a dragon they do not have access to other class powers. Just their dragon abilities. I was thinking of making it a daily power for them to change. And putting some limitations for HP and such when changing
Personally, this sounds like a perfect idea for a theme.  It wouldn't be too hard to do.  In fact, in the half-hour after reading your post, I already have a workable outline.  If you're interested, I could try to clean it up and post it when I have a bit more free time.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Sure I'd like to see it
So where the heck is Fireclave, and why the heck hasn't he delivered?

It's because I've also been trying to get a site up for hosting my homebrew and musings and thought, "why don't I make this theme the first thing I put up on the intertubes."  So after many hours of drama...I'm still not done.  But the mechanics are mostly in place.  You can check it out here.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Not sure if this helps, but there was a 2e campaign setting/module known as Dragon Mountain where players played dragons - not dragonborn.  The players start out as infant/juvenile dragons and there was a leveling structure.  If you can find a copy of it, it may provide some insight on how to "restrict" your player characters' powers.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
It was actually Council of Wyrms that allowed you to play dragons as PCs.  Dragon Mountain was a boxed set adventure.
It was actually Council of Wyrms that allowed you to play dragons as PCs.  Dragon Mountain was a boxed set adventure.

You are correct sorry, I played both in college and that was a LONG time ago

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.