Niklor's Art Down Design Contest v.2.2

106 posts / 0 new
Last post

Time for more Art Down Design Contest. It has been some time since I've done this. Regardless of whether you are a past participant or fresh blood, I extend my welcome to you. It is because of you, the players, that this contest was what is was and hopefully will be that again, without the rather unbecoming losses of your judge..

Please keep in mind this contest is very much about the art, so design keeping that mind.

The Process

This contest will be held in rounds. Each round, I will post three pieces of art for you to base your designs around. The contestants will then have a minimum of 48 hours to select one of the posted pieces of art, design a card based on it, and submit it. After a minimum of 48 hours have elapsed, I will announce the round closed and the judge(s) will procede to grade the submitted designs. After three rounds, from here on out designated a match, have passed, the grades will be averaged and a winner declared for that match.

The Grading System

Your design will be graded on a 100 point system. In addition to a numerical score, you will receive a letter grade. Your design will be graded with this criteria.

Artistic Accuracy-35 possible points. Remember, we are here to design around the art. If you put forth an incredible card with little to no connection with the art, you will be deducted points. That said, most do fine here. It's not that hard to use a piece of art to design a card.
Appeal-15 possible points. How I think of your card. In the past, I may have tried to loosely judge how it would fit into actual play, but for now we're just going to ignore that. Would I use run this card is essentially what it becomes.
Flavor-20 possible points. I love the taste of a good card. Flavorful gems shall receive high points.
Mechanics-15 possible points. Elegance, innovation, balance, color-All of these are important to a card's mechanical design and function.
Grammar-10 possible points. Does this card function as it was intended? Is it written correctly? Please use the current wording practices in your designs.
Judge's Bias-5 possible points. Did I like this card?

In addition to this, those who post a render of their design get an additional bonus point. This point cannot place you above a 100. It can only aid you if you score below 100. Since most of you will likely not get a 100, this will potentially give you the edge on your opponents.

Submissions

Submissions must follow these guidelines:

#1. You must post a text version of your design, even if you have posted a render.

#2. You must state whice piece you are using for your design.

#3. You may post only one submission per round.

Additional rules

#1. You may join at the start of any match, but once it has started you cannot join until the next match.

#2. If a player fails to turn in an entry seven times or blatantly ignores a rule after being repeatedly warned, they shall be banned for at least four matches.

#3. If all active contestants post a card before the round is up, the round will end then and there, save for the first round of every match, which shall be open to any and all who wish to join.

#4. If you wish to comment on someone's design, feel free to.

#5. If anyone is caught editing their design after the round ends, they will be banned from the contest indefinitely.

Additionally. if anyone wishes to be a judge, feel free to contact me via PM. Bear in mind that judging in this fashion can take time, so make sure you have it if you want to be one.

#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
I, Niklor, in the event of a situation where I am placed at L-1, in other words 1 vote away from being lynched, will bring the hammer vote down upon myself unless it is a known Lylo situation by either announcement or general consensus. Note, if the general consensus is that it's Lylo on days when it clearly isn't, I will ignore them. Please respect the self-hammer by not hammering Niklor in non-Lylo scenarios.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
I, Niklor, in the event of a situation where I am placed at L-1, in other words 1 vote away from being lynched, will bring the hammer vote down upon myself unless it is a known Lylo situation by either announcement or general consensus. Note, if the general consensus is that it's Lylo on days when it clearly isn't, I will ignore them. Please respect the self-hammer by not hammering Niklor in non-Lylo scenarios.
Awesome! Would you please link us to one of these sites that makes renders?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I've personally always used MSE and just uploaded the images.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Using "Off-White: Thaw and Frost" as my inspiration...

IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11662651/Graphics/Magic%20Cards/Random/Soultwin%20Spirit.png)

Soultwin Spirit
Creature — Reflection Spirit  (C)
Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under any player’s control, you may put a token that’s a copy of that creature onto the battlefield, except it’s a white Spirit in addition to its other colors and types and loses all abilities.
, : Target white Spirit you control is unblockable until end of turn.
New meat means new souls; new souls means new life for me.
3/4

*EDIT* Oh, man. I didn't realize until just now how brutal this thing is in EDH. Oh, well, Spike will have fun with this :P

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Chameleooze

Creature - Ooze

At the beginning of your upkeep, search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 4 or less, reveal it, exile it, then shuffle your library. ~ becomes a copy of that creature except it gains this ability.

"Test Subject IV: Failed - Subject escaped and is impossible to track."
—Simic Combine Experimental Notes

2/2
I'm sure you've seen stuff like this before but I felt it captured the vibe I got from the art (Linkage)

Liquid Paradigm
Enchantment
Whenever you shuffle your library, scry 3.
Truth melts like wax before the candle of magic.

While I'm fairly certain I know which art you chose, would you mind posting which in your post, Vlord.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Right After
I'm using Off-White: Thaw and Frost.

Twins of Soul :wbm::wbm::wbm:
Creature - Incarnation
Lifelink, Double Strike, Protection from White and Black.
~ can only be blocked by two or more creatures.
Look out behind you!
2/2

Pretty
While I'm fairly certain I know which art you chose, would you mind posting which in your post, Vlord.

Oh yeah, sorry; Linkage.

Oh yeah, sorry; Linkage.

And this is why we post such information, because fairly certain often proves to be dead wrong.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Devious Whelps
Creature - Imp Dragon
: ~ gains fling and gets +2/+2 until the end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
"Combining the mischievery of imps with the voracity of dragon whelps has created quite the... interesting specimen" - Izzet Catalog of Mage's Familiars
2/2

For some reason MSE's site didn't let me download the program (403 Error – Forbidden / Your request is being denied as it appears to be coming from a location banned by our Terms of Use.) so I googled for other programs, and I used one that is kind of terrible. Please ignore the mana symbol colors and how colored mana appears before colorless in the ability D:

192884403 wrote:

Oh yeah, sorry; Linkage.

And this is why we post such information, because fairly certain often proves to be dead wrong.

Well, it could of been Thaw and Frost, but Linkage gave me a vibe of "creating" a creature. Plus it looks like he/she is surrounded by a blue fluid substance. So yeah...
needs white text box
[spoiler i will just assume you can see this. too lazy to type the card out][/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
[spoiler i will just assume you can see this. too lazy to type the card out][/spoiler]

Interesting card, but...

SUBMISSION RULE #1: "You must post a text version of your design, even if you have posted a render."

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

niklor and i go way back : P
no.... that's not really that true. but he can feel free to ignore my submission.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
niklor and i go way back : P
no.... that's not really that true. but he can feel free to ignore my submission.

Oy, so lazy >_<

Here, I'll post the text version for you.

theatog's Submission (NOT MINE)
All text below is sic from the render (using the Thaw and Frost artwork).

Life Beyond Death
Enchantment
You may cast creature cards in your graveyard. Creatures cast this way are while spirit in additional to their other colors and types and have "If this would leave the battlefield, exile it instead."

it's suppose to be white instead of while. fail typing. and i hate changing that rendering a thousand times before it is proper. that happens to me Every Single Card i try to post render for.

And thanks ice XD you are so nice

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
it's suppose to be white instead of while. fail typing. and i hate changing that rendering a thousand times before it is proper. that happens to me Every Single Card i try to post render for.

Check it over before you post it the first time, man! XD Proofreading is an important skill :P

And thanks ice XD you are so nice

You're very welcome. I try .

This one is for Linkage.

Mind Mirrors -
Enchantment
Whenever a spell or ability would target a creature or player, its controller must choose a player of your choice if able.
Warring with a member of the Yarian League is a one-sided affair.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Dramatic atogs are still subject to the rules, even if I do recognize your claim.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Dramatog might be the correct term

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Dramatog
Creature-Atog
Sacrifice all other permanents you control: Your opponent is unfair.
1/1
You just don't understand!
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Well, I went with the easy one.  For Thaw and Frost:

Penumbra Tiger 
Creature - Cat
First strike
When Penumbra Tiger dies, put a 3/2 black Cat creature token with first strike onto the battlefield.
Do not blame the gods for creating the tiger -- instead, thank them for not giving it wings.
3/2

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Capricious Whelps |
Creature -- Dragon
Flying
If Capricious Whelps would attack, an opponent may pay .  If he or she does, tap Capricious Whelps instead.
Awww, aren't you little guys sooo cute?!  Here, have some cookies!
4/4

Cookie-monster dragons painting.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Round 1 is now closed. Please await the results.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Round 1 Results

IceMetal Punk (76/100) C

Artistic Accuracy (30/35)-You've turned the scene into more of the effect rather than the creature. There is some being that takes the form of the beings around it and instead of showing this creature, you turn the tiger into an aspect of this creature. I think otherwise it's a decent match, but I'd rather the tigers be more central figures in terms of the card design.
Appeal (15/15)-Seems pretty amazing. Not sure why I wouldn't run it.
Flavor (13/20)-Flavor text is strong enough, but otherwise I'm sort of in the dark here. Don't particular have a whole lot of insight into what a Soultwin Spirit is supposed to be, other than a being that existence is tied to other beings. And that's fairly vague.
Mechanics (6/15)-It appears to be slightly unbalanced. For three mana, two decidedly white, I get a card that gives me at the very least a blocker for every creature my opponent throws down. I mean, I may get something utterly useless every now and then, but I'm constantly going to be able to keep my creature counts very close to matching my opponents. And then, I can turn some of the meatier tokens to unblockable stompers right in the opponents life. Certainly, that takes a bit more of a cost, but it's almost a sidenote as the base card is far to powerful. Especially for a common. Mostly white, though unblockable feels more blue than white to me. Too powerful for a turn three legitamite drop, especially as one you are going to get commonly.
Grammar (9/10)-I think you are probably correct in your wording, but it's not as elegant as it probably could be.
Judge's Bias (2/5)-Neat, though not perhaps as interesting as it could have been. Especially flavorwise.
Render (1/1)-There it is.

Vlord (88/100) B

Artistic Accuracy (33/35)-Doesn't have the usual oozing qualities of an ooze. I can see it a bit, but feels more like a shapeshifter. Colorwise, I think it matches well. As a creature, it just looks blue and green. And I can certainly she how it is an adaptive form.
Appeal (13/15)-Seems like a solid card. Let's me bring forth the card I want from my deck, though at the cost of it only lasting a single turn. I'd probably use it in most blue green decks still.
Flavor (18/20)-Use of an existing worldbuild makes it easy to see what this is. A failed test. Very simple, very clear, little mysterious. All in all, very nice.
Mechanics (14/15)-I like that there is no choice. The ability to draw out any creature from your deck and then keep it there would be very powerful. The ability to pull it out for one round is simple, effective, and fair. I think it's shapeshifting could be easily defined as entirely blue, but the summoning of a creature from your library feels more green than anything else. And that is essentially what this does.
Grammar (7/10)-No rarity. Missing an "and" and some capitalization, but otherwise fine.
Judge's Bias (3/5)-Blue green things are nice. A bit dull, if useful.
Render (0/1)-There it isn't.

Metalevolence (95/100) A

Artistic Accuracy (35/35)-Inventive, yet feels perfect for the art. Something solidly real is so very unreal, a perfect example for the card you've designed.
Appeal (14/15)-That is pretty fancy. Gives a lot of control to you for only a two drop enchantment.
Flavor (20/20)-Magic reshapes reality and this card shows that. It's the ideas of truth losing out to another's truth. And that fits well with your design, because this is changing the future, changing the truth.
Mechanics (12/15)-Perhaps a tad aggressive for two mana. Making it harder to splash in would go a long way as well. Turn three turns it into more of a card you might include rather than a card I should include. Fits blue well.
Grammar (9/10)-Missing rarity, though the render shows uncommon.
Judge's Bias (4/5)-Scrying bores me a bit, but I love the card.

Dtolle (79/100) C

Artistic Accuracy (33/35)-A fitting creature to display this art.
Appeal (14/15)-That is a very strong creature. Hard to argue against lifelink and doublestrike for only three cmc.
Flavor (9/20)-Who is saying that? Need more information. I see how they are twins of soul, but what is going on with the flavor text?
Mechanics (8/15)-Even at rare, this seems a bit strong. It has protection from both white and black removal, so mostly only red can directly remove it once it's hit play. Then it has lifelink and doublestrike, a fierce combo under ordinary means, but then it can only be blocked if your opponent puts out two blockers. It can quickly turn the game to your advantage, and I don't like that. Not for a turn three drop, not on it's own.
Grammar (10/10)-You got this spot on.
Judge's Bias (4/5)-I like it, despite it's power level.

Fenix. (85/100) B

Artistic Accuracy (33/35)-Impish dragonlings. How adorably nefarious.
Appeal (8/15)-It's nice for what it does, but I wouldn't necessarily use it to often.
Flavor (18/20)-Overused Ravnica reference is appreciated. I like how it explains the creature's origins quickly and simply while describing it in rather vague, if interesting, terms.
Mechanics (14/15)-Very simple, very sweet, very dull. Works fine, however. Nothing amazing going on, but that card works.
Grammar (8/10)-Missing a "y" and a rarity.
Judge's Bias (3/5)-Cute.

Theatog (67/100) D

Artistic Accuracy (29/35)-I sort of get it, but it's a tiger facing another tiger, not exactly an example of a creature returned from beyond the border of life and death.
Appeal (11/15)-Pretty useful, as it gives everything one free ticket out of the graveyard. A bit hard to run sometimes, I imagine, but it works well.
Flavor (14/20)-Simple, if rather dull. I mean, ghosts is rather boring. And there is no explanation or insight into the why or how.
Mechanics (11/15)-Seems a bit strong for a common. Four mana cmc to turn your graveyard into a second revealed hand for creatures? I mean, you have to be running counter colors, but it seems strong for what it is. Not unbelievably so, just not common.
Grammar (0/10)-Your text version of the card was missing a lot of letters.
Judge's Bias (1/5)-This is pretty dull.

TheScion (88/100) B

Artistic Accuracy (32/35)-Abstract design fits abstract card. The poor fool facing this member of the Yarian League has my pity.
Appeal (11/15)-This is rather powerful. I imagine it would see a lot of play. It makes it impossible to direct spells at you and prevents some spells from targetting your creatures.
Flavor (17/20)-And now I want to know why it is that warring with them is so one sided. Who are these elite? Flavor text introduces/elaborates on this Yarian Leauge in a very indirect manner that explains the card wonderfully.
Mechanics (14/15)-A fun enchantment that is solidly blue. Would fit nice at a rare, not super useful for everyone, but not dangerously unbalanced either. It can effectively shut down a lot of red damage, which is good colorwise. Also, creative.
Grammar (10/10)-No rarity present.
Judge's Bias (4/5)-Intriguing
Render (0/1)-There it isn't.

AzureShade (84/100) B

Artistic Accuracy (30/35)-Having both tigers present on the card is rather confusing. Since the death of one seems to indicate the arise of the second. They could certainly be just passing each other, one going to death, the other to life, but it feels more like they are circling.
Appeal (12/15)-Not a bad card. solid first striker that gives you another solid first striker if it dies. Very nice turn three for white.
Flavor (14/20)-That is a very nice bit of wisdom there. Doesn't explain why this shadow tiger exists, but instead just wisely speaks about it indistinctly.
Mechanics (14/15)-Effective.
Grammar (9/10)-No rarity.
Judge's Bias (4/5)-That flavor text.

FirstTurnKill (93/100) A

Artistic Accuracy (34/35)-Those are definitly children, even if they are dangerous, sometimes firebreathing ones.
Appeal (14/15)-A tad aggressive. Good card to run.
Flavor (20/20)-Kind of want someone to be credited as saying that, but it fits so well with the art and the design you've made.
Mechanics (11/15)-Simple. Perhaps slightly unintuitive and more than slightly confusing, but I like the card. It fits well in red. I think it would probably be a slightly weak uncommon or strong common.
Grammar (9/10)-Looks right. Not entirely sure if that works ruleswise, but the wording seems to be fine. No rarity.
Judge's Bias (5/5)-Sooo cute!
Render (0/1)-There is isn't.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Thran War Train
Artifact Creature - Construct (R)
~ can't attack alone.
When ~ attacks, embarked creatures are unblockable.
Embark (: Target creature without embark you control is unattached from all other permanents and is attached to ~. )
5/5

[spoiler picture A][/spoiler]

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Chosen picture: Fallen Demon

Soul of the Soil
Craeture - Elemental (Rare)
Indestructible, shroud, flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile all lands you control. ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of land cards exiled with it.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, return all land cards exiled with it to the battlefield tapped under their owners control.
"Only when the land itself stand up to fight for this plane, you start to realize how high the stakes  really are."
*/*

[Sblock=Render]

[/sblock

192884403 wrote:
Creatures with embark can't embark

Embarkception?

192884403 wrote:
On a train that size, you probably could fit another train inside it.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
On a train that size, you probably could fit another train inside it.

no, but itself can't fit on something else. that's what "creatures with embark can't embark" means

anyway, edited the text

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Embarkception?

what the hell is that font on your card. did you change anything in mse?

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Embarkception?

what the hell is that font on your card. did you change anything in mse?

For some reason MSE's site didn't let me download the program (403 Error – Forbidden / Your request is being denied as it appears to be coming from a location banned by our Terms of Use.) so I googled for other programs, and I used one that is kind of terrible. Please ignore the mana symbol colors and how colored mana appears before colorless in the ability D:

192884403 wrote:
that train art is mind-blowing and I also really like theatog's card for it

anyway, for fallen demon

Monumentalize
Sorcery [c]
Target creature with power 4 or greater becomes a Mountain.
The best sculptors take inspiration directly from their subjects.

Using "Fallen Demon" as my inspiration.

Render

Earthcrack Demon
Creature — Demon  (C)
Flying
When Earthcrack Demon enters the battlefield, destroy target land an opponent controls.
Whenever an opponent taps a land for mana, he or she loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
So he fell, and so he shall take until he rises once more.
4/4

Portrait of my father:

Cleric of Whitehorn Downs -
Creature - Human Nomad Cleric (C)
Warcall (This costs less for each creature that attacked this turn.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you gain 2 life for each creature that attacked this turn.
Part guide, part healer, the nomads of Whitehorn Downs are welcome everywhere in Benalia. 
2/3

[spoiler didn't know renders got you points!]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176590/MSE/Cleric%20of%20Whitehorn%20Downs.jpg)
[/spoiler]
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Whitehorn Downs

i smiled

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]