Gaea's Embrace and such V.S. Humble and the like.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So here is my predicament, 
I play Gaea's embrace on Soltari guerrillas

I Proceed to attack my friend, he chooses his blocking card (4/4 token essentially) and plays Humble.
This is where the argument starts...

I say that Humble then makes Soltari guerrillas become a 0/1 with no abilities, with the addition of +3/+3 from Gaea's embrace losing trample but keeping ": Regenerate enchanted creature" therefore I can play the mana tap to regenerate Soltari guerrillas.

Would I be Wrong?
This subject keeps coming up in our games. Today again as;

Xathrid Gorgon and it's petrifying effect when I had flickering ward saying I cannot pay the mana needed to return it to my hand because my creature it was on was "petrified" losing all activated abilities.

Basically, My argument is really that because those mana tapping abilities are on the enchantment and not the Creature, it is therefore possible to play those even when Humbled or Petrified.

I am still relatively new to magic so your help would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!
First scenario: Your Soltari Guerrillas will be a 3/4 creature with no abilities. Continuous effects are applied in layers, and there's a layer for effects that add and remove abilities. When two effects are in the same layer, they are applied in the order they were created. Your Gaea's Embrace was created first (it was already on the creature before Humble was cast), giving the creature trample. Then humble applies, taking it away. You can still activate the regenration ability on Gaea's Embrace because it's a separate permanent.

Power and toughness boosts have several sub-layers. Effects that set power and toughness (like humble) are applied before affects that add or subtract (like embrace), so Humble will apply first, making it a 0/1, then embrace will give it +3/+3, making it a 3/4.

Second scenario: The ability of Flickering Ward is an ability of Flickering Ward. You can activate it even if the creature it's enchanting can't have its abilities activated. They are separate permanents.

One last thing:
I play Gaea's embrace on Soltari guerrillas. I Proceed to attack my friend, he chooses his blocking card (4/4 token essentially)

Soltari Guerrillas has Shadow. Unless his token also has Shadow, he can't block with it. He would have to cast Humble during the Declare Attackers step, then block with his token afterward.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it!

One last thing:
I play Gaea's embrace on Soltari guerrillas. I Proceed to attack my friend, he chooses his blocking card (4/4 token essentially).

Soltari Guerrillas has Shadow, Unless his token also has Shadow, he can't block with it. He would have to cast Humble during the Declare Attackers step, then block with his token afterward.

ahh, yes. This was just an error in my writings on my part. He did infact play humble and then block my creature.

Sorry, for the Xathrid Gorgon part...

Xathrid Gorgon
 and it's petrifying effect when I had flickering ward saying I cannot pay the mana needed to return it to my hand because my creature it was on was "petrified" losing all activated abilities

Would I have been able to pay that mana cost later in the game, leaving that enchantment on that creature untill next turn so I would have enough mana to tap, would the enchantment go to the graveyard because the creature changed type?
I'm not exactly sure what your question is.

Are you asking if you can activate the ability on Flickering Ward several turns after Xathrid Gorgon has put a petrification counter on it?  If so, yes.  Flickering Ward has the abillity, it does not grant it to the creature.

Or is your question "does flickering ward fall off of the creature it is enchanting when Xathrid Gorgon puts a petrification couner on it?"  If so, no.  Xathrid's ability will not cause any  auras to fall off.
MTG Rules Advisor