What do you think of this item? Too lame or too op?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
First, let me apologize if this ain't the correct forum, but I didn't find a homebrew forum (other than the homebrew Setting).

A friend of mine tried to translate the AD&D/3.5e Lore Gem (Kiira, Tel'Kiira, Selu'Kiira) and came up with this:

Show

Kiira / Tel'Kiira / Selu'Kiira
Level 9 - 4.200gp
Level 19 - 105.000gp
Level 29 - 2.625.000gp

Wondrous Item - No Slot
Properties:

* Eladrin, Elves and Half-elves only.

* +1 Will on each tier of the item (9/19/29)

* +2 on 4 of the "knowledge skills" (arcane, nature, history, religion, dungeoneering) chosen when the item is created.
Upgrades to +4 on level 19 and +6 on level 29.

* If your class allows you to store your arcane powers in a grimoire you may do it so here. All enchantments and characteristics available to a Tome are also available to this item. Members of any class may use this instead of a ritual book or a ritual scroll.

* A Kiira may store up to 5 memories up to 1 hour total for each person. Standard action to access them.
  Level 19: 10 memories up to 2 hours total.
  Level 29: any ammount of memories up to 3 hours total.

This does indeed belong in the homebrew setting.  Or, at least, in 4e general.  Not in here.

Only thing I can say is "Don't add slotless bonuses to defenses please".  Unless you are using it to shore up an otherwise weak defense.

Edit: What I mean by shoring up, in design terms, is something like this:

"If your Will defense is lower than Level +12 you get +1 to Will defense."
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This does indeed belong in the homebrew setting.  Or, at least, in 4e general.  Not in here.
Only thing I can say is "Don't add slotless bonuses to defenses please".  Unless you are using it to shore up an otherwise weak defense.

Is it THAT bad to add slotless bonus to only one defense?

Erachima, care to elaborate your opinions and, if possible, suggest me some changes?
Erachima has some strong opinions on racial limitations.

Aside of that, none of what you're proposing makes it so good you'd want to take it. 

Is it THAT bad to add slotless bonus to only one defense?

Erachima, care to elaborate your opinions and, if possible, suggest me some changes?

In general, yes it is that bad.  Giving slotless bonuses to any/all/one/a few defenses just cause doesn't generally lead to good things.  However if this is supposed to be a one of, no worries.  If you make several of these, bad bad idea.

For reference, ask anyone in CharOp about what you get when you wear light armor.  Always. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
The idea is this being a one-at-a-time item. If you have access, check out Tel'kiira on Lost Empires of Faerûn.
Besides, my friend made it an "item bonus". I forgot to add it on the OP. This wouldn't stack with, say, neck slot items that provide +x to defenses/tier.

Should he change it into nameless bonus so that it may stack with a cloak?

What about the skill bonuses, too much? too small?
The idea is this being a one-at-a-time item. If you have access, check out Tel'kiira on Lost Empires of Faerûn.
Besides, my friend made it an "item bonus". I forgot to add it on the OP. This wouldn't stack with, say, neck slot items that provide +x to defenses/tier.

Item bonuses stack with Enhancement bonuses.  Just because a neck is an item doesnt mean the bonus to defenses is from an item bonus.
Show

In general, slotless items shouldn't add unconditional combat bonuses. That makes them strictly too good compared to other items. It can be a lousy item(see Elven Chain Shirt - really, +1 AC for most games isn't that amazing and level 9 is often very expensive for many practical in-play builds) and yet it will still be Gold for the right characters simply because it is a straight upgrade that will last all the way to 30th, even if you don't bother to upgrade it to the higher level versions.

I'd look at Athasian Spellshard to help clean up some of your language.

In general, slotless items shouldn't add unconditional combat bonuses. That makes them strictly too good compared to other items. It can be a lousy item(see Elven Chain Shirt - really, +1 AC for most games isn't that amazing and level 9 is often very expensive for many practical in-play builds) and yet it will still be Gold for the right characters simply because it is a straight upgrade that will last all the way to 30th, even if you don't bother to upgrade it to the higher level versions.

The slotless part is irrelevant, its the TYPELESS bonus that needs to go away. Once its an item bonus, all it does is free up your head slot for items that dont grant WIL bonuses.

The slotless part is irrelevant, its the TYPELESS bonus that needs to go away. Once its an item bonus, all it does is free up your head slot for items that dont grant WIL bonuses.

Item bonus is a conditional combat bonus aka item...

Item bonus is a conditional combat bonus aka item...

You and I have a very different definition of "conditional"

The bonuses are fine, but it seems unnecessary to say pick four of the five. Just give a +2 all five skills, or +2 to all knowledge checks.

I would take out the bit where you can enchant it as a tome. This thing already has an enchantment - it would be wierd and complicated for it to have two enchantments. And then you'd have to deal with actually using it as a tome. How do you wield it? Is it still slotless?

Now if you just made this a tome, that would be fine. I could also see it being a head slot item.

Aside of that, none of what you're proposing makes it so good you'd want to take it. 

Leaving aside the tome and memory stuff, look at the level 19 version.

Slotless +2 to Will (untyped bonus), and +4 to 4 different useful skills.

Compare to, for example, the standard +Will item, which is level 18, takes a valuable slot, gives an item bonus, and does nothing for your skills.

Or compare to the Book of Five Truths, truth #4: slotless, +2 item bonus to will, and a +5 item bonus to initiative.  Not quite as good as the proposed item, but comparable, and level 24.

This thing is massively undervalued.  As a slotless, untyped bonus, there's literally no excuse for any elf or half-elf not to have the lower tier version of this in their pocket, even if they never, ever roll those skills, use a tome or spellbook, or bother with the memory features.

Leaving aside the tome and memory stuff, look at the level 19 version.

Slotless +2 to Will (untyped bonus), and +4 to 4 different useful skills.

Compare to, for example, the standard +Will item, which is level 18, takes a valuable slot, gives an item bonus, and does nothing for your skills.

Or compare to the Book of Five Truths, truth #4: slotless, +2 item bonus to will, and a +5 item bonus to initiative.  Not quite as good as the proposed item, but comparable, and level 24.

Yes, the item you are proposing is brokenly powerful being comparable to an item 5 levels higher than it. Adding in the Tome stuff, this is a slotless Implement that was never intended to be slotless, that's even more powerful, and a DM would have to be a moron to give this to a PC and not expect to have it abused.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
It's like a Gumbo of a bunch of disparate parts.

Boons

standard elcheapo two skill boosting items

Wands , for non-wand-ers

Feat Tax feat equivalent

re-fluff on Ritual Scroll

... you could figure out what these things are/do seperately.
And then treat it like an Item Set from AV2.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.