The Ultimate Izzet Deck

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am looking to rep the Izzet Guild the best i can (I have several Izzet Decks). I normally just play at home with some friends and have never played at a tournament (or even a friday night magic at my local store). I was wonder if i could get some help with the absolute best/Optimized Izzet Deck I could build.

Couple Criteria
-------------------
-Must be Red  and Blue (Artifacts are also ok)
-Must be 60 cards
-Should be as Izzet as possible (Theme wise)
-Must be as awesome as YOU can make it 

Now i do say it should be red and blue and stay as close to the Izzet theme as much as possible, does not mean you have to stick to just the Ravnica blocks, as long as its legal to play at tournaments, it should be good for me

It will be my first time and i want to make an impact 
For the Guild!
I would start with niv-mizzet, dracogenius x3 cant get more izzet than that guy
Overload is a versatile concept if used correctly.  The trick is getting the right cards for it.  I've used Izzet before, and here are my findings on it:

Mizzium Mortars and Cyclonic Rift are good for clearing the opponent's side.

Hypersonic Dragon can add some high-speed power to the deck.

Guttersnipe, Talrand, Sky Summoner, and Nivmagus Elemental will give you something to do with all of the instants and sorceries in your deck.  One of my favorite tricks with this deck is on turn 2, if Nivmagus Elemental is on the field, feed it a couple of 1-cost spells like Blustersquall or Dynacharge.  And then, POW!  5/6 on turn 2!

Since your deck will likely rely on instants and sorceries, Krenko's Command and Talrand's Invocation will add some creature presense while still triggering Guttersnipe and Talrand
Here's an Izzet deck that I play with for fun at home. It may give you some good things to think about. 

15 Creatures:

Delver of Secrets x4
Goblin Electromancer x4
Guttersnipe x4
Krenko, Mob Boss x3

25 Other Spells:

Syncopate x4
Think Twice x2
Searing Spear x3
Cyclonic Riftx1
Mizzium Mortars x1
Izzet Charm x3
Teleportal x2
Krenko's Command x4
Dynacharge x3
Talrand's Invocation x2

20 Land:

Steam Vents x1
Sulfur Falls x1
Izzet Guildgate x4
Mountain x7
Island x7

I play this deck for fun, but if you wanted to play it at FNM, you'd want to start by upping the Steam Vents and Sulfur Falls to 4 each and get rid of the guildgates. From there tweek some other things. I'll probably end up adding Runechanter's Pike somewhere eventually. You could also replace Krenko with Talrand, Sky Summoner (though I personally like Krenko with all the gobbies). Spells that generate tokens are great with Guttersnipe, Electromancer, and Delver, and Krenko's Command is great with Krenko. Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius can be good in the right deck (I play him to great effect in deck with Izzet Staticaster and Nightshade Peddler), but let's face it, nothing's really "more Izzet" than goblins. 

This is a counterburn deck, and I don't know how viable that is at FNM. Counterspells aren't great in standard right now due to things like Cavern of Souls and the plethora of things like Loxodon Smiter, Supreme Verdict and Abrupt Decay that can't be countered. Of course there's still lots of good things to counter out there, like Bonfire of the Damned, etc.
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
Here is my Izzet deck list. It is modified from a list someone else posted here, but I did not keep track of the source. It's one of our decks for test playing, and it's fun when it works, but I don't think it would be FNM-competitive.

Creatures (13)

Other (24)
[deck]2 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Desperate Ravings
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Searing Spear
3 Second Guess
2 Syncopate
4 Talrand's Invocation
2 Teleportal[/deck]

Land (23)
[deck]2 Desolate Lighthouse
5 Island
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls[/deck]
Izzet Storm?

Goblins + Past in Flames + battle hymn + burn at the stake?
Ill be posting my deck very soon, but can someone tell me (since i am new to the forums) how i can link my cards to those images
For the Guild!
There are two ways: one for lists of cards - deck tags - and one for individual cards - card tags.

To deck tag:
Put the word deck inside square-brackets before the list and the word deck preceeded by a forward-slash (/) after the deck. Like this:
[ deck ]
2 Plains
2 Mountain
[ /deck ]
Leave out the space inside the brackets. The deck auto-thing will add X after the number. Don't put anything but numbers and card names in the list.

To tag individual cards, use the word card instead of deck. Like this:
[ c ]Island[ /c ]
Again, leave out the spaces. Don't put anything but card names inside the tags and be careful if you cut and paste words into them; html junk gets copied in quite often. You can always use preview to check your auto-carding. You can also edit posts after they're posted.
Izzet Storm?

Goblins + Past in Flames + battle hymn + burn at the stake?

This is my deck (remade just today, actually just about 5 min ago) based on the Izzet Guild with the cards i currently have available (as there have been some suggestions of cards to use that i dont currently have available, such as Delver Of Secrets. I also dont have a side board

Deck

Creatures:
3xGelectrode
1xNivix Guildmage
3xGoblin Electromancer
1xIzzet Chronarch
1xMercurial Chemister
1xSpellbound Dragon
2xWee Dragonauts
2xKiln Fiend
2xGuttersnipe
1xBlistercoil
1xTalrand, Sky Summoner
1xNv-Mizzet, The Firemind
(19)

Instants & Sorceries:
1xDivination
3xElectrickery
1xFireball
1xTalrand's Invocation
2xElectrolyze
1xBrainstorm
1xUnsummon
1xDownsize
1xMystic Retrieval
1xDissipate
1xLightning Bolt
1xForce Spike
1xSearing Spear
1xReminisce
1xMizzium Mortars
(18)

Enchantments:
1xDual Casting
1xQuicksilver Dagger 
1xFreed From The Real 
(3)

Land
8xMountain
8xIsland
4xIzzet Boilerworks
(20)
For the Guild!
What are your opinions on how I should Mod my deck and what I should do as a sideboard. I did remove a few other creatures and spells but my deck was sitting at 70+ and i wanted to be able to take my deck to tournaments, start getting some points and to start repping the guilds power ( even though they are the top rated Guild currently, I think their power is a little under estimated)
For the Guild!
Unfortunately, if you want to take this deck to FNM, many of these cards are not legal in standard.
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
This is my deck (remade just today, actually just about 5 min ago) based on the Izzet Guild with the cards i currently have available (as there have been some suggestions of cards to use that i dont currently have available, such as Delver Of Secrets.

This deck is not Standard-legal and probably belongs in the Casual Decks forum. 

CAn you guys tell me what is standardd legal (Tournament Legal)
For the Guild!
Any card printed or reprinted in the last two blocks and the most recent core set, so any thing from Innistrad to current.

Standard legal sets:

Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored 

2013 Core Set

Return to Ravnica, as well as the rest of the block. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12

Here is the official info:

Standard Format Deck Construction
except for about 3 or so cards, all are from the new set that was released (Least thats how i got them...)

I dont think i have much that arent from the last few blocks 
For the Guild!
except for about 3 or so cards, all are from the new set that was released (Least thats how i got them...)

Just so there is no confusion, we are talking about the second decklist (post #10). The cards from the Izzet vs. Golgari duel deck are not legal in Standard unless they have also been printed in Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Magic 2013, or Return to Ravnica. So, at the time of writing, the following cards are not Standard-legal:

Gelectrode
Izzet Chronarch
Spellbound Dragon
Wee Dragonauts
Kiln Fiend
Niv-Mizzet, The Firemind
Fireball
Electrolyze
Brainstorm
Lightning Bolt
Force Spike
Reminisce
Quicksilver Dagger 
Freed From The Real 
Izzet Boilerworks

You can use the online Gatherer database to easily figure out which blue/red cards are currently in Standard.
Snap! really. Crap I thought the duel deck would count since its right around the same time, but because its a special deck i guess it doesnt count... Ok well... ill ahve to make a totally different one i guess specifically for a standard game... 

Well i appreciate everyones help in figuring out this confusion of mine 
For the Guild!
If you play a lot of multiplayer, a great Izzet combo is Epic Experiment + Guttersnip = Sealed
any recommendations to switch out for each of these cards individually that maybe so something similair but is legal ( like the nv-mizzet, dracogenius?)
For the Guild!