shadowfell question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright coming up my party is going into the shadowfell. i will be honest i had no plans for that but the party tends to have ideas of what they want to do that arent always the same with what i wanted them to do. I do not have the book and it isnt in my budget to get it at this time so can anyone share with me either information or a link to get information on the shadowfell because i do not want to just tell them i have no clue about where they want to go and basically force them to go another way.
It's a shadowy mirror version of the 'real world' Not that it is mirror-identical - no goatee-sporting evil versions of the characters there - but if the characters cross over in the middle of the night, they may not notice much of a change other than the night seems darker. The surface is covered with dangerous creatures, and the underdark (known as the shadowdark here) is absolutely lethal with undead horrors. Check the Monster Manuals for shadowfell denizens, the most noteworthy being the Shadar-Kai. Light sources don't illuminate as well, and the cloudy skies restrict sunlight to dim illumination. Visitors usually get somber and depressed.

You can do whatever you like with it; hell, replicate the 'Dark World' from Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past if you must. I tend to imagine it looking like a Tim Burton movie, often with a drizzle of inky black rain.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Yeah, like with many things in the 4e Cosmology, the Shadowfell is not exactly a really clearly defined thing. It is the land where the dead go, before they shuffle off to oblivion or whatever. Its also a sort of dark mirror of the real world. It is at the same time a living world with living inhabitants. You could thus play it any or all of those ways. The PCs could find themselves in a dead and eternally dark land of undeath, or a cursed realm ala one of the realms of dread, or in a gloomy but almost ordinary place, or in a strange village made of the ghosts who don't know they've died and passed on, or something totally different.

As far as links go... That's kind of a tough one. Most of the information is in 3 products, Manual of the Planes, Gloomwrought and Beyond (a boxed set), and Heroes of Shadow (player options mostly). The Underdark book also has some information, as does Open Grave (theme book on undead). If you have DDI there are some articles and maybe even an adventure or two set in the Shadowfell. Honestly I'd say Manual of the Planes is your best bet. You can probably get a copy cheap nowadays.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Like the others have said.  Just think of a horror story version of the mortal world and you pretty much have Shadowfell.  You don't need to force your players into doing what you want (Read: You should never do that), but rather should adjust to tell the story of what the players want to do.  They want to go to the Shadowfell, great.

In a nutshell: Wing it.  If you want monster ideas try to get access to a DDI sub (Really every group should pitch in a bit to get one to share a minimum) and then use the compendium to look up undead, shadowy things and stuff with "necrotic" keywords. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You don't need a DDI sub (although I do recommend it), just the standard-issue undead in the Monster Vault (or what-have-you) will be sufficient. Also, there are a few free excerpt articles about the Shadowfell:

From Manual of the Planes, and from The Shadowfell. You might also look at the Heroes of Shadow excerpts. And there's a free adventure, The Shadow Rift of Umbraforge, set in the Shadowfell. It's part of the Scales of War Adventure Path they did a while back, but you're obviously free to adapt it however you want, or just go through it looking for bits to plunder.
Drab, depressing, grey, muted, subdued, and depressing. Not quite ravenloft gloom&doom hopelessness, but close.
Stereotype Puritan American colonies with Balkan costumes?
People with the goth or emo outlook?
Film-noir with castles and moats and taverns instead of highways and office buildings and speekeasies.
Alright coming up my party is going into the shadowfell. i will be honest i had no plans for that but the party tends to have ideas of what they want to do that arent always the same with what i wanted them to do. I do not have the book and it isnt in my budget to get it at this time so can anyone share with me either information or a link to get information on the shadowfell because i do not want to just tell them i have no clue about where they want to go and basically force them to go another way.

Now why are they going to the Swadowfell if you have no idea what it is or what they will meet there?  nor much interest in getting the information?  It's not like it's just the next town over.  You can pretty much tell them the stars are wrong and they can't get there from here.
      You don't want to railroad everything [altho there are definite advantages to railroading within reason], but it sounds here like somebody here said "Shadowfell?  I don't know what that is, but it soulds neat.  Let's go there."  You are neglecting your duties if you let the players wander into places you can't give them a proper presentation for.
      If you can't/won't buy the book, I'd suggest their attempt to get to the shadowfell leads to a magic accident and they end up somewhere you are prepared to run.
I don't know if you are still running this game but check out the Shadowfell section of the 4e core world wiki http://community.wizards.com/nentir_vale/wiki/The_Shadowfell