Hello all,I'm a parent getting a group of 12 year olds into playing D&D for the first time. I purchased teh red box players essentials kit and the DM essentials kit and had the kids make their characters, and we had their first iencounter which went

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

I'm a parent getting a group of 12 year olds into playing D&D for the first time. I purchased the red box players essentials kit and the DM essentials kit and had the kids make their characters, and we had their first iencounter which went fairly well.

My question here is about making additional characters. The red box walks each player through a mini adventure to help familiarize them with the game and it is a long and tedious process to do more than once. There are no instructions about how to make additional new characters without going through this whole process. Where can I find instructions on a quicker way to make a character?

Also, there are some points in the players guide that I find very confusing. One that I remember particularly is about passive perception. The character sheets don't have any place that I can find to make note of a characters passive perception, but the guide tells you to note what it is. Is this different than regular perception? I assume so.

Thanks for the help.

-- Craig

yeah, WotC kinda messed over beginning players with that box set.  If you want to make other character or advance them beyond level 2 or 3 you need to get some player books - Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, or Players Handbook 1, 2 or 3.  With 12 yo beginning players, the heroes of books are probably best.  Like $13 or $14 each on Amazon.

Now here's the real problem - the characters you made with the red box are not directly compatible with the classes in the other books.  There is some conversion that needs to be done.  Search around the forums and you should find multiple threads.  So where you are really at is spend some money on a couple of books and have them make new characters and either pick up where you left off or start over.  But with a couple of books you get a bunch of new options.

The other way to go is to get a D&D Insider subscription.  This gives you access to the online character builder and every race/class/feat/power etc published in any book or in dragon magazine. You also get all the insider material in Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine, the online compendium, and the online monster builder.  Basically all the material you need to play the game for a long time.

I haven't seen it, but the Reavers of Harkenwold adventure in the DM Kit is suppose to be pretty good.  The follow-on to that is included in the Monster Vault, which also comes with a load of monster tokens.

I great fun playing with kids.  They sometimes do the most fantastic things.  Make sure you says "yes" alot when they want to to cool/crazy/interesting/off-the-wall stuff.  It will help them to be more creative and out of the box in the future.  If there is one problem with 4e its that you get stuck in whats in the power cards and don't necessarily look for things outside those.

Best of luck,

TjD 

Thanks for the information. Yes, I have the "reavers" adventures so we'll probably play through all of that before we consider converting as you mentioned. I'm still getting accustomed to how to be the DM as well. I thought I was well prepared but in our first encounter I didn't feel too smooth with my presentation. But at the end, all the kids had fun and even said it was more fun  then they had expected.

Some of those cards confuse me too. Is magic missle a guaranteed hit? Seems so, but the card doesn't specifically say it.

Thanks - Craig 

Magic Missile doesn't actually "hit" at all - there's no Attack line, no Hit line, just the Effect of doing damage. So any game element based on hitting or making an attack roll doesn't apply to it.
 (This is why it has a specific line in the power that says that if your implement has an enhancement bonus you add that bonus to your damage - normally your enhancement bonus only appies to attack rolls and damage rolls, neither of which this power has.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...