1/14/2013 Draft Simulator

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

G/W.  I'm sad I don't get to use the nighthawk I first picked, but the black dried up real quick.

Round 1:
Vampire Nighthawk
Pacifism
Rancor
Captain's Call
Spiked Baloth
Deadly Recluse
Farseek
Angelic Benediction
Ring of Kalonia
Tormented Soul
Arbor Elf
Clock of Omens
Plummet
Plummet
Island

Round 2:
Pacifism
Garruk's Packleader
Roaring Primadox
Silklash Spider
Vastwood Gorger
Centaur Courser
Acidic Slime
Bond Beetle
Elvish Visionary
Yeva's Forcemage
Elvish Visionary
Arbor Elf
Index
Crippling Blight
Island

Round 3:
Attended Knight
Fungal Sprouting
Crusader of Odric
Divine Favor
Intrepid Hero
Vastwood Gorger
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Serpent's Gift
Farseek
Plummet
Divine Favor
Yeva's Forcemage
Krenko's Command
Faith's Reward
Mountain

Creatures (17)

Non-Creatures (6)
[deck]
1x Rancor
2x Pacifism
1x Farseek
1x Ring of Kalonia
1x Angelic Benediction
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
9x Forest
8x Plains
[/deck]

Creatures -17
1-2
2-3
3-5
4-3
5-3
6-1

Non-Creatures-6
1-1
2-4
3-0
4-1
5-0
6-0

Total-23
1-3
2-7
3-5
4-4
5-3
6-1

Curve looks fine.  2 colors is easy on the mana. 3 removal spells and 1 tempo spell is great. Slime for uitiliy and a huge spider to take care of any and all flyers. 3 ramp sources lets me get my fat out a turn early.  I like it.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Ended up with a nice fast G/B deck.  Has lots of anti-flying and deathtouch, card advantage creatures, rings to grow little threats into big threats and most impotantly, my favorite sealed green card in the set, Rancor.  Such a broken card.

Creatures (16):
Duty-Bound Dead x 3
Arbor Elf
Ravenous Rats x 2
Deadly Recluse x 2
Elvish Visionary x 3
Vampire Nighthawk x 2
Servant of Nefarox
Disciple of Bolas
Yeva, Nature's Herald

Spells (6):
Crippling Blight x 3
Rancor
Farseek x 2

Artifacts (2):
Ring of Kalonia
Ring of Xathrid

Lands (16):
Forest x 8
Swamp x 8

I originally had in all 3 Arbor Elves, but I figured I would rather have the 2 Farseeks to increase my odds of playing a turn 3 Vampire Nighthawk instead of having another 1/1.  The deck has a bit too many 1/1s, but I am hoping that I can either get out multiple Exhaults or Rancor or the right ring to help pump early.  Crippling Blight also can remove blockers.  Deck really lacks in direct creature removal, which is hard to believe with Black and Green having Prey Upon, but this is almost just a rush deck anyway.  If you are stalled into a mid-late game scenario, this deck might run into trouble, but hoping the Rings and bring it home if that occurs.

I think this draft also shows my flaw of being stuck on cards like Elvish Visionary and Ravenous Rats.  Perhaps I rate their card advantage aspect too highly, given they are 1/1s.  I also tend to value the rings too highly.

I went black-white exalted, looks pretty strong.

Not meaning to be picky, but you have 3 exhault creatures... Doubt that is a focus of your deck.  Nice to have, but with all the exhault B/W has in this set, I would expect to see 8+ exhault creatures to call it B/W Exhault.

There was probably a good BW exalted deck in there, but the green was so open I felt compelled to go there.

GWb Midrange

Creatures (17)
1 x Spiked Baloth
1 x Deadly Recluse
2 x Elvish Visionary
2 x Arbor Elf
2 x Healer of the Pride
1 x Garruk's Packleader
1 x Roaring Primadox
1 x Silklash Spider
1 x Yeva, Nature's Herald
1 x Yeva's Forcemage
2 x Primal Huntbeast
1 x Crusader of Odric
1 x Intrepid Hero

Spells (7)
1 x Pacifism
1 x Prey Upon
2 x Farseek
1 x Ring of Kalonia
1 x Fungal Sprouting
1 x Mark of the Vampire

Land (16)
1 x Swamp
5 x Plains
10 x Forest

The Mark of the Vampire may seem like an odd splash, but I justified it to myself on several grounds. First, the mana doesn't hurt me - I have two farseek and two cantrip elves to get there. Secondly, I have a number of creatures which are or can get large, and with this card that can stabilize from way behind. Thirdly, I have two hexproof creatures which curve out very nicely into this. Fourthly, these make my fungal sprouting and intrepid hero more playable. Fifthly, it is good with prey upon and obscene with silklash spider.

Fungal Sprouting is great with the ring, the healers of the pride, and the crusader.