1/17/2013 TD: "Everything to Everyone"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

We've come a long way since Moroii. Or rather, mythics have (although this could have easily been a rare).

This is really a bit of a cash-down design. This will remind everyone of Bob, a $40 modern staple, and with a 4-power-for-4-with-evasion body (as opposed to the do-nothing-body that was dark tutelage), I suspect there will a stampede for this card initially.

Wow, that was a lot of buildup, Mr. Flores.

Pretty cool card. Not obviously overpowered, but full of nuance in deckbuilding and gameplay. I can't wait to see it in action.
I'm actually really not that impressed with that card.  Dropping a 4/4 flyer for 4 really isn't all that impressive.  On top of that giving your opponents the ability as well makes me go eh.  Of course it could  turn out to be the perfect card for the meta-game  but I agree that it will be a chase rare at first and then ignored.
Its mana cost is it's biggest downside, but you DO get great value for what you pay for. 4/4 flier for 4 in UB is pretty great. I'm super excited to play around with this. 
so for all that set up about good creatures, we get...

A fixed bob. wow....
I just personally hate pushed Mythics. You push too hard, and it winds up 4 copies in every deck. Nothing rare about that.
I love the 4/4 flying for 4. That is always nice.

But I have always hated Bob and his finger prints on this card make me want to stay away from it.
"Fixed" Bob is right, but this creature is very "fixed".  The reason why Bob was so good is because it had that ability for 1B, which means that it was cheaper than Phyrexian Arena, a similar card.  You can see from Bloodgift Demon that this ability just isn't that good at 5, even if it comes attached to a 5/4 flying body, which is very telling.  So this ability probably isn't that good on a 4cc creature.  On top of that, it's a symmetrical ability.  Now we know that great players can manipulate symmetrical abilities to their advantage.  In theory it would be pretty good in UB aggro as a better Moroii because a dimir aggro deck like that could use extra cards and that lifeloss would hurt an opponent more than you if you were on the offensive.  However, does a Dimir aggro deck exist today?  No.  Maybe one will arise with cipher, idk.  Right now the card seems like a miss.  Better than Bloodgift Demon but worse (much worse) than Bob.
i know, im just saying that all this hype is not good, and, from my position, this should have been spoiled along with the whole set. but blue-black zombies is certainly possible. and this might be a finisher card or fit in a control deck, i dont know what uses it has. but it is certainly not a "look at this cool new mythic" because its not new. (also, bloodgift demon is arguably worse cuz it  easier to kill)
As an addendum to my previous post, I do think this could have a very real place in the sb's of some decks, mostly in aggro-control decks vs. other control decks.  If you're playing Nicol Bolas and other 7cc and up cards you really don't want your opponent to play this against you.  Revealing a 7cc spell could just kill you on the spot. 

I can see a UB Zombies deck coming back.

And I can kinda see a "Esper"  Aggro-control list coming into existence.  Orzov has some really solid aggro control cards but not really enough to fill out a full list.  Invisible Stalker with a cipher spell or two, Geist of Saint Traft, the control magic card, some of the orzov stuff with this could be a deck.

If this card is going to see play anywhere it is in some sort of aggro-control deck obviously.      
This is the worst build-up to delivery ratio I have seen since Matrix Reloaded.

A whole article about what makes creatures great and then we get binder bait. Seriously 4 for a 4/4 flyer is not impressive anymore. And getting an ability that may end up killing you against an agro deck that just lost its momentum...

This is not Bob. Bob is small, comes out early, and if you happen to flip another Bob you only loose 2 life instead of 4. If it only affected you it would be pretty good but not a must-have. Affecting all players makes it a joke.