[DGM] Narbulg, Nine Fingers

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0k5uqfenyb_en.jpg)

IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hdp3bxhyks_en.jpg)

Appears to be a nine-fingered Cyclops who is more than capable of killing dragons. Depicted in the art on both (you can tell by the design of his hands that it's likely the same character). My money is on Guild Champion in DGM.

Normally, I'd overlook something like this, but that he has a unique design AND is quoted on two cards (at least one of which will see play) makes me think we'll see him again.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I honestly thought Ground Assault featured Borborygmos?
He lacks the horns and facial hair in the first picture, I'm not sure they're the same.
I didn't notice the horns. :/ Still, quoted multiple times? How many fingers do cyclops have? Could it be Borborygmos?
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Narbulg was mentioned in the Planeswalker's Guide to Gatecrash: Part 2. There is no indication that he will get a card. They create lots of characters for each set.
The Scab have engulfed or destroyed several clans in recent years, but the leader of the clan, a corpulent giant known as Narbulg Nine Fingers, has not yet deigned to challenge Borborygmos or the Burning Tree.

Good chance Narbulg won't see a card. Remember Geralf?
I didn't notice the horns. :/ Still, quoted multiple times? How many fingers do cyclops have? Could it be Borborygmos?

I'd be very worried if all cyclopses have nine fingers.

I'd be even more worried if all cyclopses have eight fingers, and... well... You know.
If he was kind of the opposite of Narbulg Three Legs...

HOWEVER, seven or eight fingers would be more impressive. 

No, because he didn't get a card! Laughing
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Should be good in limited.
There's tons off characters quoted on cards that never get cards themselves.
 You're seeing ghosts.
Personally, I would expect that boar god to show up as the champion. Based on flavor, it likely destroys nonbasic lands.

Personally, I would expect that boar god to show up as the champion. Based on flavor, it likely destroys nonbasic lands.

Non-gate non-basic lands Wink
I think he won't get a card for somewhat the same reason Niv-Mizzet won't become a planeswaker.  They don't need another legendary Gruul Cyclops, just like how they don't need another talking dragon planeswalker.
Ground Assault has Borborygmos, notice the Mammoth skull Pauldron on his left shoulder. Also that he has horns. Also he has hair. I'm actually not sure how they cold be confused for the same guy. Unless you're saying all Cyclops look the same you racist.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Appears to be a nine-fingered Cyclops who is more than capable of killing dragons. Depicted in the art on both (you can tell by the design of his hands that it's likely the same character). My money is on Guild Champion in DGM. Normally, I'd overlook something like this, but that he has a unique design AND is quoted on two cards (at least one of which will see play) makes me think we'll see him again.

In Pit Fight, it's a human barbarian standing over an Orzhov pontiff of some sort (with reference to "coins" a nice bonus); in Ground Assault, it's a Cyclops standing over a buried Dragon. Entirely different size classes among organisms represented, there's no way these can represent visually the same character. There are also other Gruul-aligned characters in flavor text.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

The quoted character who never got a card that really bummed me the most is a Ghalma  the Shaper.  Quoted in Scars of Mirrodin, i was ready for Ghalma's card to be released in both Mirrodin Besieged and New Phyrexia, but she never came.    
Consider that we may get a nonlegendary card understood to be this guy.
Nirthu, lone missionary got one like that.
I wouldn't count on a card, but he's probably important to the story.

I'm still bitter about Ludevic not getting a card as well. Delightfully sadistic, and a cool guy I kept waiting for his card as the block progressed, thinking that maybe in AVR we'd see him take a kind of last stand approach against the cathars...and then nothing happened and ludevic disappeared.

Just so everyone knows, Narbulg is a character in the style guide.
He's not a cyclops, he is the giant leader of the Scab clan, who are mostly mutants and cripples kicked out of society at large for being mutants and cripples.
  Planeswalker's Guide to Ravnica: The Gruul

Not likely.
Gods in Magic tend to be myths. 
That's not so...usually, they're just very powerful, read, absurdly powerful beings...

The Dragon Gods, the Spirit Gods of Kamigawa...heck, the Eldrazi, perhaps? 

DCI Judge Level 1

I think he won't get a card for somewhat the same reason Niv-Mizzet won't become a planeswaker.  They don't need another legendary Gruul Cyclops, just like how they don't need another talking dragon planeswalker.

Actually, the vast majority of Dragons in Magic talk.  IT's just they don't have anything to say to humans for much the same reason you don't talk to the lobsters in the seafood restaurant...
Actually, the vast majority of Dragons in Magic talk.  IT's just they don't have anything to say to humans for much the same reason you don't talk to the lobsters in the seafood restaurant...

That made me LOL.   
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
A cyclops named Narbulg, Nine-Fingers would have been too clever for Wizards to come up with.  I mean, a cyclops with a nickname related to having one finger less than normal people?

havengul runebinder

havengul runebinder

Is not Geralf.....
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Hard to say.

We do know that there is a pretty wide range of intelligences that dragons can have in Magic ranging from fully sentient to basically giant angry dogs.
Usually, when a dragon is smart enough to think, they stress it.
So unless the card gives some indication the dragon is smart enough to think (by having flavor text attributed to it, wearing clothes, having a class type) it's probably just a wild animal

Edit: I might be too strict here.
Basically, if it is a prominent character, it's probably intelligent.
Niv-Mizzet, The Elder Dragons, The Invasion Dragons, the Planar Chaos dragons, Malfegor, Skittles are all known to be intelligent creatures capable of speech, thinking, feeling, etc.  

Not likely.

Or evil. At best they're completely good, but you didn't realize her daddy was a vampire.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Not likely.

Or evil. At best they're completely good, but you didn't realize her daddy was a vampire.

Being worshipped doesn't make them gods, though the Eldrazi worship was more a case of mistaken identity.
Avacyn isn't good, she's pragmatic.
She has almost no personality beyond her programming to not allow the vampires and humans go extinct. 

havengul runebinder

Is not Geralf.....

It could be Geralf. It could be a situation like the one Minus_Prime mentioned or how Blind Seer is Urza. Was there an article about Havengul Runebinder?

havengul runebinder

Is not Geralf.....

Indeed: Gisa was a necromancer, a mage of sorts, and her zombies were the stuff of nightmare; but Geralf was an artificer, a builder of flesh golems rather than a raiser of the dead. The difference here would be between a lord of liches and, say, Dr. Frakenstein. They're also both pathologically insane.

In this way, while Gisa would be black and Geralf blue, neither could likely be represented on cards to adequately cover them: Both were deeply involved in a war in which either was trying to outdo the other one, a war in which there were only two agonists, two sides: Gisa and Geralf: Thraben merely happened to be their latest chessboard, and Mikaeus one of their peices.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
A possibility that each Guild gets one more Legend in the Dragon Maze set. Teysa gets hinted around.
She has almost no personality beyond her programming to not allow the vampires and humans go extinct. 

Could you provide the source for this? I find it interesting if it's true; Avacyn has no flavor text by her on the cards except Joint Assault (which is just a declaration of an action and doesn't reveal any character), so she's a bit of an unknown.
Thraben merely happened to be their latest chessboard, and Mikaeus one of their peices.

To elaborate, they were working together when they lay siege to Thraben.

Could you provide the source for this? I find it interesting if it's true; Avacyn has no flavor text by her on the cards except Joint Assault (which is just a declaration of an action and doesn't reveal any character), so she's a bit of an unknown.

I'm having trouble finding it, but Brady Dommermuth (head of creative) said as much in a Q&A thread he started in the flavor forum.

Avacyn is essentially a robot. What little personality she has is basically dedication to her cause; to maintain the status quo on Innistrad.
Vampires are creatures of impulse and passion. Sorin feared that if they were left to their own devices, they would eat all of the humans of the plane and eventually starve to death without a food source. He didn't create Avacyn to save the humans, he created her to save his own people, the vampires.

That's why Avacyn, in her centuries of existence, has never tried to win against the forces of evil on the plane. She wasn't programmed to.
 I'm having trouble finding it, but Brady Dommermuth (head of creative) said as much in a Q&A thread he started in the flavor forum.

Avacyn is essentially a robot. What little personality she has is basically dedication to her cause; to maintain the status quo on Innistrad.
Vampires are creatures of impulse and passion. Sorin feared that if they were left to their own devices, they would eat all of the humans of the plane and eventually starve to death without a food source. He didn't create Avacyn to save the humans, he created her to save his own people, the vampires.

That's why Avacyn, in her centuries of existence, has never tried to win against the forces of evil on the plane. She wasn't programmed to.

Sorin basically wants to preserve the balance. Obviously if the humans or the vampires die, we just have an apex predator with no natural enemies, or a predator with no food source to speak of. Wonderful.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments