Landhunt

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been tinkering with Treasure Hunt into Scrapyard Salvo and discarding a bunch of artifact lands in Pauper but the major flaw in that format is the prevalence of countermagic and being unable to play any protection for your combo whatsoever due to the nature of this combo. That deck also lacks in reach slightly, with only a few options for tacking on more damage after your initial Salvo. Bringing the build to Legacy resolves these problems, at least as best as can be. Boseiju, Who Shelters All allows you to ignore countermagic. Barbarian Ring and Vesuva copying Ring or Piranha Marsh extends your reach. Mana issues are literally nonexistent (or would be, if I could afford the appropriate mana base).

This is a total glass cannon combo deck but it has the capability of completely ignoring the opponent and just winning, as early as turn 3 but usually turn 5 seems to be the magic number. It's easily hated out, unfortunately. Here's the build I'm running online right now:

SB
[deck]2 Sickening Dreams
2 Zombie Infestation
2 Reliquary Tower
2 Faerie Conclave
2 Bojuka Bog
1 Scrapyard Salvo
1 Island
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Tolaria West[/deck]

Still in early testing but I'm probably going to dump the redundant copies of the potential wincons. Again, the mana could be better but this is my first real try at Legacy and I can't justify the investment yet; I wholeheartedly encourage discussion of the optimal land choices. The only thing I would consider as explicitly missing from my original draft is a playset of Cavern of Souls in the sideboard with a copy or two of Slag Fiend as a fourth wincon option.

Looking less for critique of concept and more for card choices but it's all good. Also up for getting some matches in with anyone that wants to run against it.
So let me get this right.  You're taking a Pauper deck that folds to Counterspell, and wanting to port it into a format where Force of Will is a staple?

I'll let that one sink in for a little...

So let me get this right.  You're taking a Pauper deck that folds to Counterspell, and wanting to port it into a format where Force of Will is a staple?

I'll let that one sink in for a little...

No, it's cool now.  He's rocking Boseiju now so counter magic can go sit and spin.  He was pointing out that in a far more restrictive format, he didn't have the right answers to his problems.  This is eleviated by going Legacy.

Really, what this deck is missing is manlands for when your combo fails.  

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Anyway, this deck looks pretty clunky and prone to wiffing on its combo often.  I almost want to see if it would work better if you hid your non-land cards in your sideboard and wished for them, but that leads to a whole other host of issues.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Re: Force of Will. Azure covered it pretty well. I don't know the meta breakdown for Legacy but I imagine that blue is still pretty prevalent and something to be aware of.

Re: Manlands. Definitely! I could see the Barbarian Ring/Piranha Marsh slots going to manlands. The only downside would be opening yourself to removal that is otherwise a blank.

Re: Clunkiness and Wishes. It's certainly not the smoothest deck but I can't call it clunky, minus how often you'll be mulling. I feel like you're probable to see a Treasure Hunt in your opening hand if you keep mulliganing down to 1 (which also doesn't hurt you nearly as much as it would any other deck). The deck whiffs more often when you run into a Salvo too early and either sit on it as long as you can if the time is available or burn it straight away and hope to make up the difference in damage from your land abilities. Any hand with Treasure Hunt is a keep; if you have Hunt with Boseiju you're in pretty good shape. I'm not sure about putting a Wish in the maindeck but I could see it being a SB option to help avoid Surgical Extraction (which ate me alive when I was playing an Esper Stoneforge list last night) but I think they'll more often be Extracting your Treasure Hunts after the first one to prevent you from digging any farther.
Treasure Hunt... I've been trying to break you for so long. 

Salvo is TERRIBLE for legacy. Sorry to break it to you but it requires a ton of commitment and is just bad. Did I mention that you should find a different win condition?

I'll fool around with Hunt and let you know if my testing is conclusive at all. I'm gonna go down this road again and look for a good wincon with Treasure Hunt.  
Treasure Hunt... I've been trying to break you for so long. 

Salvo is TERRIBLE for legacy. Sorry to break it to you but it requires a ton of commitment and is just bad. Did I mention that you should find a different win condition?

I'll fool around with Hunt and let you know if my testing is conclusive at all. I'm gonna go down this road again and look for a good wincon with Treasure Hunt.  

I'm quickly learning that the meta isn't friendly to graveyard counting such as Salvo, insomuch as everyone has hate in the sideboard. The benefit is that you don't have to wait until turn 4 and Hunt into Infestation (which can't be Boseiju'd) or Hunt into Dreams (can't Boseiju twice in one turn) in the same turn; perhaps maindecking Salvo and then siding into an alternate wincon should be the general goal, at least as long as maindeck gy hate isn't dominant? I'd certainly be interested in other wincons besides the ones I've presented. I'd also really be happy to find a backup/alternative choice for Treasure Hunt to deal with Surgical Extraction and the like.

Working on a slightly updated build. Maxing out Tolaria West as redundant Boseijus seems obligatory.
Re: Force of Will. Azure covered it pretty well. I don't know the meta breakdown for Legacy but I imagine that blue is still pretty prevalent and something to be aware of.

Blue's going to be like 50% (or more) of the metagame.  If they're playing blue, they're very likely to play FoW.  And it's not just FoW on the Salvo you have to worry about, it's FoW on the Hunt.

Re: Manlands. Definitely! I could see the Barbarian Ring/Piranha Marsh slots going to manlands. The only downside would be opening yourself to removal that is otherwise a blank.

The most common removal is still likely to be blank.  Things like Abrupt Decay can't hit lands, and if you play the right ones, Lightning Bolt is blanked too.

Everyone doesn't just have hate sideboard, a lot of decks (probably like 50%) have the hate maindeck.  Deathrite Shaman and Rest in Peace do a really good job of just killing this deck.

Plus, if you ever get the Hunt Thoughtseized or Hymned away, you also just lose.  And guess what?  Those are in about half of the decks you can expect to play against.

There's a difference between "glass cannon because I'm metagaming" (like playing Belcher because most decks are gearing up to fight attrition wars and cutting FoWs and Dazes) and "glass cannon because I like losing/am too cheap to play something real".  Strong glass cannon decks exist because every once in a while, people forget that they exist and start doing thing like putting their FoWs in the board, relying on "proactive" disruption like discard and thinking that there's enough splash hate that if they avoid it for the first few rounds they won't play against it.
Sign In to post comments