Dragon Stompy

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm considering getting into Vintage, and I loved rocking out to AiR in Extended and did a port of it to Modern than I love playing.  My question though is, is it even a wise choice for Vintage anymore?  I'd like to get the thoughts of people who play competitive Vintage on Dragon Stompy's viability before I go thinking about making the investment on City of Traitors and Ancient Tomb.  Is it going to be worth more than just the fun of playing it?  Or will I just be randomly winning games?

Here's the list I'd be looking into to get started:

Creatures:
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
4 Gathan Raiders
3 Arc-Slogger
2 Akroma, Angel of Fury

Spells:
4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Blood Moon
4 Trinisphere
4 Seething Song

Lands:
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
11 Mountain

Akroma is there mostly to be something of a stunt double for Raiders.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Didn't realize Trinisphere was restricted. Any ideas on what to use in place of Trinispheres 2 through 4?

Edit:
Here's my thoughts so far on those 3 open slots: 

+1 Wheel of Fortune
+2 Seize the Day

OR

+3 Powder Keg / Ratchet Bomb

OR

+3 Static Orb

I think I'm leaning on Keg or Orb. 

My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
I'm not too familiar with the format, but by imagining how it'd play, I'd personally go with:

-3 Trinisphere (obviously)
-2 Akroma, Angel of Fury (Does she ever hit the board?)

for

+1 Wheel of Fortune (New hand for 3 mana? Hell yeah)
+4 Mindbreak Trap (This would only really be bad against Flash/Hulk. Also good for stopping YawgWin/storm that, as far as I know, is ever-prevolent in the format)
Yeah, Akroma has proven too gimicky, rarely if ever flipping.  I'm already looking to cut her.

Trap seems more like a SB card.  I need a certain hand and VS some decks, Trap would only serve to flip a Raiders.

I'm starting to think this might not viable for Vintage without another form of disruption to suppliment Trinishpere.  I might have to scrap this idea and stick with Legacy.
My Decks
The main problem is that everything this deck does, MUD does better, faster, and more reliably. It doesn't require colored mana. It can curve out on it's lands, so it doesn't have to rely on SSG/Moxen/Rituals for explosiveness. And it has more and better disruption pieces in the form of Spheres, which hit everything relevant (and just everything in the case of Sphere of Resistance), cost less than Moon/3Sphere/Magus, and play better with Chalice (by playing Chalice at strategic numbers to make Spheres more effective).

It's not a terrible idea, there's just unfortunately a better version of it.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I had started to that while I was testing.  I've looked at various MUD lists for ideas, but there isn't too much I can transfer over since the two game plans are just different enough.

Here's what I have been thinking since I haven't given up on this list yet:

-3 Trinisphere (no brianer)
-2 Akroma (not pulling her weight)

+1 Sol Ring (1 final way to get and extra without City/Tomb)
+4 Thorn of Amethyst OR Sphere of Resistance (don't know if I want to effect my creature plays)
My Decks
Bump.  Here's what I've boiled the list down to for Vintage.  I don't play much of it, but I seem to be doing well enough as to not be a laughing stock.  I have a meta that doesn't use Red to thank for that.  If I turn 1 Bloodmoon effect, I tend to see them scoop because thay can't do anything.  They all have gotten to the point where they pretty much mull into an opening hand with FoW unless they see other options in hand.

Creatures:
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
4 Gathan Raiders
4 Moltensteel Dragon

Spells:
2 Mox Opal
1 Lotus Petal
1 Sol Ring
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Blood Moon
1 Trinisphere
4 Thorn of Amethyst
4 Seething Song

Lands:
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Great Furnace
7 Mountain
My Decks
How well would null rod do in the main deck?

As well, I have to pump up Lodestone Golem again. 
Lodestone is probably going to make it into the SB, along with Red Elemental Blast, and possibly some combintaion of Sphere of Resistance and Ratchet Bomb.

I'll test out the Null Rods, but I don't like how it turns off Moltensteel Dragon.  It's not unheard of for me to pay my life 2 points at a time to help him firebreathe. 
My Decks
Surprised you're not running Chrome Mox.  Perhaps have 1 chrome and 1 opal?
I'm worried I'm a little artifact heavy for Chrome Mox.  I could easily run 1 though, I just don't want to risk having to pitch a win-con to power the Mox.
My Decks
Bump.

I've cut an Opal for a Chrome and liking the build. I hate how MUD feels almost stricktly better though.
My Decks
I hate how MUD feels almost stricktly better though.

Unfortunately, this is just gonna be true. They have better fast mana than you, stronger lock pieces than you, and Moon effects don't really add enough unless you build around them, especially if you're trying to use Sol lands.

If you really want to run a red MUD-type build, I suggest Welder Stax. If you want to be more all-in, you'll need to pick between locking down better or having better clocks (i.e. a combo). And if you just really like Moon effects, you'll probably want to look at The Mountains Win Again to get some ideas.

At the very least I suggest in the strongest possible terms that you play maindeck Lodestone Golem and at least a couple Mox Monkeys. 
I may be looking into Welder Stax, but I really do enjoy playing Dragon Stompy.

What would you suggest I cut for the Golems?  I'm thinking Raiders.
My Decks
I would probably agree on the Raiders. I don't think they pull their weight here; a 5/5 for 3 just isn't that impressive in Vintage, especially when that 5/5 is sometimes stuck as a 3/3 temporarily. They are also at the top of your curve, so cutting something for Golems should start up there.

Mostly, I worry that your clock may be too ineffective. All three archetypes are present in Vintage, and I feel like all three of them have solid game against you:

1) Control - They run Bolt, Path, Snapcaster and countermagic. You will spend multiple resources on one or two cards, and then be 2-for-1'd or better when the control players deals with that card. OR, since control decks are usually only 1 or 2 turns slower than combo, they will just ignore you and Tinker out a Blightsteel.

2) Combo - They are built to deal with MUD, their worst enemy. Your lock package is nowhere near as tight as MUDs, and so combo decks can deal with it after a little bit of fighting and then just ignore everything else while they kill you in one turn.

3) Aggro - The aggro decks are not only built to play around your exact disruption package, they run it themselves. Your Moons might give them a little grief, but if they stick 2 or 3 dudes first, they can probably take control of the game. Their clocks are usually much more efficient a la Goyf and KotR.

I like the deck, I just can't see the creature base being good enough to compete reliably. Creatures in Vintage are deadly efficient, or else have powerful secondary abilities. You can't drop them and then say "Now hold still while I kill you over the next few turns". I'll see if I can find any more explosive red creatures that might fit.
I may be totally off my rocker here, but what about Urabrask the Hidden ?
Hits the ground runnin himself and does the same for the Pit Dragon... might be ok.
Just a thought, good luck with the deck tho.
Was just in the future card forum and found a dragon named Scourge of Valkas... if this thing actually happens it just might be good here... especially at that cost, perfect for the Song, same as Urabrask.
Was just in the future card forum and found a dragon named Scourge of Valkas... if this thing actually happens it just might be good here... especially at that cost, perfect for the Song, same as Urabrask.

Scourge belongs in a deck that runs Dragonstorm.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Very true. That with Bogardan Hellkite is just nuts...
The CMC on Valkas made me think of this thread tho, would be a good fit here I think, makes the deck a bit stronger.
There's not enough dragons to make it worth it and they don't all come into play at once like they would in Dragonstorm as a finisher.  You'd be better off with Thundermaw Hellkite over this.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Ah, good call. I forget about that guy. He would be better here.
Can anyone reccommend a good Welder Stax build for me to try out?  I need some of the pieces for it to finish this off anyways, so I'll still be dabbling with Dragon Stompy, but I'd like to start off with a decent shell for Welder Stax.

I also might be looking into The Mountains Win Again, if only because the Moon Effects are what is letting me get such good results when I play.
My Decks
Sign In to post comments