[GTC] 01/12 Magic Arcana Card Art Musings

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did not see any posting about this yet, so I thought I would create it. Today's Magic Arcana revealed several art pieces stating that they were card arts from gatecrash. musing with pics in spoilers bubbles 

Picture 1. Appears to be a Dimir agent slipping by or stealing something from an Orzhov guard. Maybe art for an Dimir unblockable spell?

Picture 2,  A smoking pair of boots, while two humans look on with surprise. Appears to be a burn spell directed at a creature and is an instant due to the look of surprise on the two humans.

Picture 3. Art for Viashino Shanktail. Link to ICD

Picture 4. A Boros human running screaming with a grenades in his hands(grenades because there are two more of the same items on a bandoleer). Could be a creature with Battalion, maybe haste.    

Picture 5. Art for Clan Defiance Link to ICD

Picture 6. Two merfolk, I think this is incorect, but looks like they are in a forest.  Want to say Simic creature card.

Picture 7.  Focus is a statue of an angel with a spear in a chared courtyard. Bones and ash are all around her, while three robed figures look on. Could be an enchantment, burn spell, or artifact.

Picture 8. Focus is the little guy from Doorkeeper out for a walk, looking worried about being stepped upon. U maybe U/B card, could be creature or spell.

Picture 9. Image is of a Azorius or Orzhov human fighting a Rakdos demon. Probably a spell since one of these guilds are not in set.

Picture 10. Ral Zerek in foreground with right hand appearing to release lighting on to three locations in the background. I believe its a burn spell with up to three targets.

Picture 11.  Several Boros human soldiers with an ogre with a LARGE ball on a chain behind them, mood seems to be the moment before a charge. Think this is a creature card.    

Picture 12. Focus is a Dimir human female *Ahem* atop of a human male with three spikes in his forehead. Sadly he does NOT seem enjoy this position, as some sort of energy is moving from the spikes to the female's mouth. Positive this is a discard card, would enjoy this being a creature though.

Picture 13. Simic scientist taking notes about a humanoid inside of a incubator. Unsure about this one.

Picture 14. This is the full art for the gameday background. focus is a black sphere eclipsing the sun, with black/red conduits touching and burning/dissolving humans who are running away. maybe a exile or burn spell or enchantment. 

Picture 15. image is an Orzhov knight on a horse, yeah, you know that one. Surely a creature card  
Several badass art pieces, but by now we know that most of these cards will probably be limited fodder. I suspect at least 4-5 of these will be Curse of Oblivion levels of playability.

The orzhov knight looks very badass, the dimir chick over the dead dude is quite sexy, the penultimate card with the black orb/sun looks awesome, and the lost doorkeeper is cute.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Yes she is taking something from his mind, but I think 12 could possibly be a black "destroy ....." card.  Not Doom Blade obviously, but i'm thinking black is going to get something in the realm of Grasp of Darkness or Dismember (without phrexian mana obviously).        
Great bit of presentation!

I think the general view is that picture 14 (dark sun, people dying) is culling sun. There was another thread on that.

Picture 12 (girl on top, some sort of essence drain) feels Orzhovian to me. Maybe a drain life variant.

Picture 2 (smoking boots) certainly seems to be removal of some sort. Noticing the black scorch marks, which might suggest a red burn spell, and the fact that there were three soldiers, suggesting perhaps some battalion synergy:

Retaliatory Bolt -
Instant (C)
Retaliatory Bolt costs less for each attacking creature.
Retaliatory Bolt deals 6 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.

Picture 1: Could also be an unblockable creature.

Picture 2: Burn spell? More like destroy spell. Do those boots look like their former occupants were merely burned? Although, my bro pointed out this could be an Incinerate reprint.

Picture 4: Could be some kind of sacrifice creature. Goblin Legionnaire springs to mind. And FYI, that's a lady.

Picture 6: Could be a token spell. Creatures depicted in twos often indicate one.

Picture 7: Looks Orzhovan to me. Most likely an enchantment, seeing as the picture is passive in nature. Could also be an artifact, given the presence of the statue.

Picture 8: Looks like another Homonculus creature to me.

Picture 9: That's definitely an Azorius Knight. Looks like an instant or sorcery to me, though the picture reminds me of Guild Feud which is an enchantment.

Picture 10: Of the arts you called for burn, this is the one I agree with. Three targets sounds reasonable given the art.

Picture 11: You sure that's not a giant? I don't recall the Boros recruiting ogres. Still, he looks like a wrecker, if you will. ;)

Picture 12: Mind ****? Or maybe she's extracting certain dirty thoughts from his mind? "He wanted to do that with me?" That wouldn't be a Thoughtseize reprint by chance, would it?

Picture 13: E.T. phone home? Looks like an enchantment to me.

Picture 14: Seen that before. Most likely a wrath effect. Compare to Wrath of God, Damnation, and Culling Sun. Holy Balls of Doom, Batman!

Picture 15: I'm hoping that's a White-and-Black Knight. Would be so cool.

Great bit of presentation!

I think the general view is that picture 14 (dark sun, people dying) is culling sun. There was another thread on that.

Picture 12 (girl on top, some sort of essence drain) feels Orzhovian to me. Maybe a drain life variant.

Picture 2 (smoking boots) certainly seems to be removal of some sort. Noticing the black scorch marks, which might suggest a red burn spell, and the fact that there were three soldiers, suggesting perhaps some battalion synergy:

Retaliatory Bolt -
Instant (C)
Retaliatory Bolt costs less for each attacking creature.
Retaliatory Bolt deals 6 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.

Picture 12 is definitely Dimir. Look how she's dressed. Specifically, the uh, skirt(?), bears a resemblance to the Dimir Symbol. That and the fact that she is totally absorbing that guys memeories or something along those lines.

I'm not sure if picture 14 is going to be a reprint of Culling Sun or not, but it's definitely going to be some kind of Orzhov Sweeper.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

I think the general view is that picture 14 (dark sun, people dying) is culling sun . There was another thread on that.

in that thread it was pointed out that the number crunch does not have room for culling sun between 152 and 153.

My first glance also thought orzhov, but the frills at the waist just screams Dimir. will probably only require

Picture 9: That's definitely an Azorius Knight . Looks like an instant or sorcery to me, though the picture reminds me of Guild Feud which is an enchantment.

that's my first thought, but picture 15 also has a large gem inset to the bracer, albet at the elbow, not the wrist. and I wanted to cover all bases.

Picture 11: You sure that's not a giant? I don't recall the Boros recruiting ogres. Still, he looks like a wrecker, if you will.

Sorry, I'm not current on Boros recuitment guidelines, could either be a giant or a orge.

Got it! Picture 1 is a profile of the right side guard of Basilica Guard, that's where I saw that helmet before.

In picture 12, it looks like she's on top of another Dimir agent, so perhaps he is supposed to have died with valuable information, (Or simply she backstabbed him) and this card will be a way of tranfering Ciphered spells to other creatures from the original target(dead or alive). 
That Ral Zarek art is so cool. Damn, I can't wait for DGM.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
That Homonculus thing is awesome. Cannot think of what the card will be though...
That Homonculus thing is awesome. Cannot think of what the card will be though...

Poor little guy looks terrified...
I play for fun

Sneaky Homonculus reprint/variant?
Wizards ate my account that needed no sig, so I guess I need one now.
That's not a bad guess. He certainly looks like a Sneaky Homunculus.

The boot one could be a Disintegrate variant.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Here goes me and my black-white, black-blue and black-red bias:

1:
Show
That is an Orzhov Basilika Guard. 
Dimir infiltrator. Perhaps monoblue, run of the mill "1/2 draw on combat damage" with unblockable and possibly even hexproof.
Seing that he carries an Orzhov document -- it may mill one, draw one.
Manacost 2UU or 4U. 
Alternatively, it is a sorcery "3U: Target creature becomes unblockable this turn. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player this turn, draw a card."
or even:
"2UU: Draw a card. Cipher"

2: 
Show
Does not look red at all. At least not like a red spell. Does not look black and white. Does not look green nor blue. Red and white it is. That creature is definitely exiled from taking damage. It's not a large creature, and it's definitely instant or out of combat. Sooo: Run of the mill "red and white damage exiles target creature that dealt damage". It looks like they are heading AWAY from a battle that has occured, an hour ago, so it may be a revenge spell. Or even revenge enchantment, possibly a countdown enchantment that is triggered at the end of turn or at the start of an upkeep. "Spontaneous combustion".

4: Boros 2/2, Batallion: 2 damage to target creature.
Alternatively, "Target creature gains +4/+0 and trample. Sacrifice that creature at end of combat."

6: Simic with swampwalk. But could be swamp and forestwalk combined -- or even swamp, forest and islandwalk.

7: Extort artifact angel with deathtouch and defender?
Extort artifact that makes opponents lose life whenever a creature dies?
Here's to hoping it's a rare Orzhov enchantment in white and black that causes the target to become pacifistic, unable to activate abilites AND drains it's controller for life with extort.
2WB: Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and it's activated abilities cannot be activated. Extort.
4: Artifact -- Extort, 2WB: ~Cardname becomes a 2/4 angel with deathtouch, defender and lifelink until end of turn.

8: Awww... Poor thing! Cry
I can't even imagine who would do such a thing or why it's out there...
Disarm?... I just can't think of anything but wanting to give that little guy his spear back and putting him on top of a doorway.

9: An unfair fight in red? Possibly one fight each of your end of turns.

10: I'm bored now, and this looks very strange.
It does not appear to target any creatures or lands directly.

11: Boros 4/4 defender giant with first strike??

12: Very peculiar art. Both "creatures" are "human"-ish.
The woman is sitting NEXT to a person, extracting something from his mind.
A discard 1 Cipher sorcery for 3UB??

13: Search your library for a creature with evolve??

14: Orzhov wrath: XWB: Destroy each creature with toughness equal to or less than X.

15: Orzhov Zombie Legend that makes extort explode.

12 looks vaguely like the Syncopate spellcaster, no?

EDIT: I mean, look at those shoulder pads? It's like an Azorius powersuit a la '90s.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

What is that Knight riding in the last picture? If its a horse it is one of the ugliest horses I have ever seen. It looks bloated, its head is HUGE, and its ears are just wrong. It's kind of funny because its dressed up so nice, but the animal itself looks ridiculous.

I disagree.  I'm not a painter or a drawer, so I don't know what the exact term is, but for lack of a better one, the "proportions" are off.  His fingers are pointing straight down and the lightning is shooting straight down (you can see the middle bolt pass over his palm).  Now I can get behind the concept of him torching buildings from afar, but the lightning should angle towards them, shouldn't it?  That's like the old Kids In the Hall sketch with the weird guy pretending to squish peoples' heads from across the room or street with his thumb and index finger.  Is there something I don't get about art?  Or dimensions?

Rules Advisor

I disagree.  I'm not a painter or a drawer, so I don't know what the exact term is, but for lack of a better one, the "proportions" are off.  His fingers are pointing straight down and the lightning is shooting straight down (you can see the middle bolt pass over his palm).  Now I can get behind the concept of him torching buildings from afar, but the lightning should angle towards them, shouldn't it?  That's like the old Kids In the Hall sketch with the weird guy pretending to squish peoples' heads from across the room or street with his thumb and index finger.  Is there something I don't get about art?  Or dimensions?

I the fact that the perspective is off makes it one of the more interesting pieces of art here.
Hoping either 2 or 10 are Shock or some 1CMC instant burn spell. Other than that, good art. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Is it just me...or do several of those pictures look supiciously like Mortify, Electrolyze, and Putrify type cards?

Reprints have been thin on the ground thus far, perhaps the final set will augment with those, given they're uncommon? Either way, tickle me titulated!  
You know number one looks a lot like what Shadowmage Infiltrator  would like without Finkel art. Ral Zarek's art seems like Electrolyze or Arc Lightning. And it'd be hilarious if the orzhov knight card was just White Knight.
OK, here is my wish for the Orzhov Knight (last picture):

Orzhov Knight
Creature - Human Knight (Rare)
Protection from monocolored

2/3

I hope we get more of this effect in Gatecrash

There are two perspectives being used, the general perspective is showing the bolts of lightning coming down from the storm cloud above the buildings. If you take the man out of the picture, the lightning would be coming down from the clouds, clearly. But then the artist is putting Zarek closer to the "viewer" in a sort of "forced perspective" and showing the "distant" lightning from the storm cloud is being generated by the hand of the planeswalker.

So you're right in that it looks like the "I squish you" skit and that's what the artist is doing with the distant lightning coming out of the cloud but being "forced perspective"ed out of the hand of the planeswalker. Meaning, by way of the dual perspective, the lightning is coming out of both the cloud and the hand of the planeswalker know what I mean?
The card with Ral in it isn't going to be Electrolyze or anything similar.
There aren't any Izzet cards in the set. 
The card with Ral in it isn't going to be Electrolyze or anything similar.
There aren't any Izzet cards in the set. 

Totally agree. It's 100% going to be a monocolored :R: or :U: card, much more likely :R:. Arc Trail or Chain Lightning would be cool.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Did not see any posting about this yet, so I thought I would create it. Today's Magic Arcana revealed several art pieces stating that they were card arts from gatecrash. musing with pics in spoilers bubbles 

Picture 4. A Boros human running screaming with a grenades in his hands(grenades because there are two more of the same items on a bandoleer). Could be a creature with Battalion, maybe haste.    

there are 3 on his bandoleer. 3.

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
2 in hand, 3 on bandolier, 1 on her right thigh.
What is that Knight riding in the last picture? If its a horse it is one of the ugliest horses I have ever seen. It looks bloated, its head is HUGE, and its ears are just wrong. It's kind of funny because its dressed up so nice, but the animal itself looks ridiculous.

It looks like a pig-horse hybrid.

Maybe Orzhov buy their mounts from Simic.
Highly unlikely I know, but could pic 4 be a reprint of Mine Bearer?
You know number one looks a lot like what Shadowmage Infiltrator

That's what I'm hoping as well!

He would have to be a functional reprint with Intimidate instead of Fear though. Which would make him a little bit worse, but still playable. Maybe he'll have a hybrid cost like :ubm::ubm: to make up for it, or something. 
I'm pretty sure that horsey in #15 is either dead OR plagued...
which makes some pretty interesting suggestions for that person on top of it.

It could be ANYTHING inside that armor.
Zombie, Skeleton, Spirit, freaking Specter or even Minotaur :P

If it is a non-human, I will be thrilled.
THRILLED.
Highly unlikely I know, but could pic 4 be a reprint of Mine Bearer?

there's a chance. just by the artwork alone on this card reminds me of reckless brute, the picture and the flavor text as well

198732583 wrote:

Picture 8. Focus is the little guy from Doorkeeper out for a walk, looking worried about being stepped upon. U maybe U/B card, could be creature or spell.

the first word that popped in my head when i saw this was "shroud"

198732583 wrote:
Surprised I'm the first one to point out... that one with a few humans and a giant that everybody's calling "Boros" at?

Has the Boros ever used that symbol emblazoned somewhere on every single figure there? The star-like symbol on the giant's shoulders, his wrecking ball, his armor, the troops' armor... etc... No sign of a single "Fist" icon that has always been the Boros symbol.

The prevalence of the markings suggest some importance, so might I hazard a Wild Guess and its an example of the so-called "Gateless", anti-guild rebels?

In addition, Picture number 12 with the woman over the dead/dying man looked more Orzhov to me due to the colorings and lack of Dimir-like malformations or discolorations or shadows or longer robes. Besides, plenty of jewelry, thus again leading me to think Orzhov. In flavor it could be claiming the soul of a dead person, or consuming it for longevity.

Finally, Picture 4 with the Boros and grenades.... well... again, there's no Boros symbology per se, save the flame markings on the wrist....but yeah, I'd pin her on Boros. It doesn't seem nearly as out-of-place for the guild as a giant with a wrecking ball around kinda awkward soldiers all of them sharing some symbol I don't recall on their armor, weapons and even tattooed. 
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)

Finally, Picture 4 with the Boros and grenades.... well... again, there's no Boros symbology per se, save the flame markings on the wrist....but yeah, I'd pin her on Boros.

The Boros symbol is on her helmet.

Finally, Picture 4 with the Boros and grenades.... well... again, there's no Boros symbology per se, save the flame markings on the wrist....but yeah, I'd pin her on Boros.

where?

198732583 wrote:

where?

The white markings form the Boros fist.

Picture 1. Appears to be a Dimir agent slipping by or stealing something from an Orzhov guard. Maybe art for an Dimir unblockable spell?

Picture 2,  A smoking pair of boots, while two humans look on with surprise. Appears to be a burn spell directed at a creature and is an instant due to the look of surprise on the two humans.

Picture 3. Art for Viashino Shanktail. Link to ICD

Picture 5. Art for Clan Defiance Link to ICD

Picture 6. Two merfolk, I think this is incorect, but looks like they are in a forest.  Want to say Simic creature card.

Picture 7.  Focus is a statue of an angel with a spear in a chared courtyard. Bones and ash are all around her, while three robed figures look on. Could be an enchantment, burn spell, or artifact.

Picture 9. Image is of a Azorius or Orzhov human fighting a Rakdos demon. Probably a spell since one of these guilds are not in set.

Picture 10. Ral Zerek in foreground with right hand appearing to release lighting on to three locations in the background. I believe its a burn spell with up to three targets.

Picture 11.  Several Boros human soldiers with an ogre with a LARGE ball on a chain behind them, mood seems to be the moment before a charge. Think this is a creature card.    

Picture 12. Focus is a Dimir human female *Ahem* atop of a human male with three spikes in his forehead. Sadly he does NOT seem enjoy this position, as some sort of energy is moving from the spikes to the female's mouth. Positive this is a discard card, would enjoy this being a creature though.

Picture 13. Simic scientist taking notes about a humanoid inside of a incubator. Unsure about this one.

Picture 14. This is the full art for the gameday background. focus is a black sphere eclipsing the sun, with black/red conduits touching and burning/dissolving humans who are running away. maybe a exile or burn spell or enchantment. 

Picture 15. image is an Orzhov knight on a horse, yeah, you know that one. Surely a creature card  

1. unblockable creature, steal spell? UB
2. Burn, destroy, instant. RR
4. not a creature, because the focus is more on the action than on the person itself, so I'm guessing maybe it's a sorcery or an enchant target cretaure thing. WR
5. oh hi clan defiance
6. the speed and the elusiveness of this picture makes me feel like this is an "target creature becomes unblockable until end of turn" card U/UG
7. Artifact "Spear of the Fallen Angel", give first strike/double strike and or intimidate (I mean it IS a flaming spear) colourless
8. d'awwwwwwwww. could be a 1 drop evasive creature that can't block U
9. looks like someone recruited a gruul into the army. Best case scenerio 5/3 for 3R; worst case scenerio, terrus wurm.
10. Dimir or Orzhov? Looks very like Teysa, but there is water symbolism and she looks like she's sucking his memories out of his head, also she's attacking her colleague,; an incubus maybe. Creature: lifelink, evasion, vampire Spell: lifesteal, destruction, milling. probably an Orzhov whose a Dimir agent, B
11. Simic's Ludevic's test subject
12. Why is it that some people are burning and some aren't? Selective board wipe, probably. Also Orzhov symbolism. WB
13. Orzhov, Creature. I bet he has Horsemanship. (trololo)
My favourites are #2, #4, #8, #12 and #13.

where?

The white markings form the Boros fist.

it is there...lol i would've never caught that

198732583 wrote: