Behoder eyes in 4E

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please excuse me if there is indeed a better spot for this question but it seemed the general catagory was the best place, at the time.

So, for no real reason at all, I've collected 18 beholder eyes in game so far and find myself not having any clue as that to do with them.  I seem to recall there were items based on beholder eyes in 3.5.

Any advice as to what to do with them?  If it helps, I am a lvl 9 hybrid wizard/cleric of Ioun.  So far the only things I can think of is somehow turn them into magical jewelery for the in game guild founding members or use them as part of some sort of magic alarm system in our guild hall.
The short answer is talk to your DM.

The long answer is come up with a list of stuff you want to do with them, then talk to your DM.

There is no basic "turn 8 beholder eyes into X" in 4e.  So just talk to your DM about what you can do with them. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Perhaps I should have been clearer...the question was to also see what interesting ideas others might come up with.

Of course I'd ultimately have to talk to my DM one way or the other but surely the forums would e a much emptier place were it reflex to talk to one's DM. 
Each Beholder Eyestalks could be 100 gp worth of Alchemical Regeant.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Perhaps, when infused with some arcane energy, they could serve as eyes.   They could be consumable(?), so you throw one, say into a room or down a hallway, and then you can see what it sees.   As long as there was some kind of initial cost to the player, I'd allow something like that as a DM.

A magically preserved eye sounds like a good focus for scrying rituals.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Crown giving all around vision (encounter or daily) or one eye stalk power. Personnally I'd suggest a graft to get something like this instead of an item but not sure how twisted your characters are.

Perhaps beholders reproduce by being killed which causes the undamaged eye staks to start growing into full beholders. In which case the eyes you have could still be alive. Maybe at this stage in life they could be used as symbiotes (from Eberron). Of course that would mean you are helping beholders to survive to maturity which might not be a good idea.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Some of these ideas are very interesting and make my day.  I love seeing what sort of flavor people will put in to their answers.  In using one of the eyes howerver, trying to set off a possible trap, the DM decided that they act as arcange grenades basically and go off with one of the random eyestock powers in a burst 1.

I like the scrying idea though.  I was thinking of some sort of scrying myself...to allow one eye to see what the others might. Though the all around vision, I like that.

Perhaps beholders reproduce by being killed which causes the undamaged eye staks to start growing into full beholders. In which case the eyes you have could still be alive. Maybe at this stage in life they could be used as symbiotes (from Eberron). Of course that would mean you are helping beholders to survive to maturity which might not be a good idea.

Actually, this might also be a great time to give one or more of the party members an eyeball familiar (or whatever they call the little beholderkin familiars) without having to spend one of their character's valuable feat slots.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Robe of Eyes has to come from somewhere.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Ha! Both are very good ideas.