Grabs: broken?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
My paladin uses heavy armor and a heavy shield. As a result, his acrobatics check is -3 and his athletics is a measly 2. How is he ever supposed to escape a grab? Most of the monsters now have Fortitudes that would require me to roll a natural 19 or 20 to escape.
An ally can teleport you or push/pull/slid you or the monster to escape the grab.
Grabs are a good way to take out a paladin if the party is not prepared for it. 

You can also push/slide the enemy away from you.

Commanding vow is probably the easiest route that is open to all paladins.  That in effect can give you an at will slide 1 with ardent strike which will end most grabs.  But there are a good number of other ways for paladins to push or slide enemies that are good for them to have anyways.
Your player is not trained in those skills, meaning he gets training bonuses in other skills.   Why should he also be good at escaping grabs?    I see it as balanced and working as intended.
Sorry roobz515, this is gonna be a learning experience. You gotta prep to avoid situations you don't want (such as being grabbed, or having no options to fight enemies beyond melee reach). Thankfully this is an easy fix, as next level (or perhaps earlier with an nice-guy DM) you can retrain a power to get a Push/Slide power or a feat to get trained in Athletics.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
My paladin uses heavy armor and a heavy shield. As a result, his acrobatics check is -3 and his athletics is a measly 2. How is he ever supposed to escape a grab? Most of the monsters now have Fortitudes that would require me to roll a natural 19 or 20 to escape.

Easiest solution:
MC Fighter through Battle Awareness and take Athletics as your free skill.  The feat is powerful on it's own (it might actually be the single strongest non-math fix for melee, if not it is way up there) and the extra athletics to help you is basically free.

Like the others said you can do things to help you get out of grabs by either teleporting yourself or push/pull/sliding them.  One way to do this is by using a Flail as your MH weapon and then getting all the Flail Shenanigans going to toss your enemies about.  If you get grabbed you try to escape, if that doesn't work just slide that guy away from you and keep on keeping on. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You get out by killing the dude.  Or you remember that you're tying him up, so he's not grabbing the wizard.

But yeah, picking up an emergency teleport (Fey Step Lacings are good) is always sensible.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
How is he ever supposed to escape a grab?

As mentioned: by killing the grabber. fwiw: defenders often want to be the one grabbed, as it frequently doesn't hinder them (i.e. they want to be adjacent to the bad guy anyway).

You get out by killing the dude.  Or you remember that you're tying him up, so he's not grabbing the wizard.

But yeah, picking up an emergency teleport (Fey Step Lacings are good) is always sensible.

Yeah, that would be my answer, basically the "Sergeant Shlock" answer, "Oh, goody, you made my day, I love this" followed by badly hurting the enemy many times. A daily use teleport or very hard to avoid forced move just so you can get out of it the one time it DOES prove annoying sounds quite sensible as well, and should be pretty easy to get. 4e is pretty liberal with tactiport.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
So few monsters I've run into have grab powers...

But what a brawling fighter can do with a grab is impressive.
So no, not broken. If anything, fun.
If it is a problem, get a set of those razor-bracers that do damage when you are grabbed, or daze/stun the monster so that it cannot maintain the grab. Get together with a shield fighter that can push or a controller with slide powers.

Until then, revel in the destruction.
Just a note, Dazing doesn't prevent grabs being maintained.  Stunning, Dominating or Unconscious would.

It may also bee worth noting that the Pally has a couple of powers (Death Angel and Fortune Spurned Smite IIRC) which force the target to move voluntarily, which would result in it not being able to take you with it.  They have fewer slides and pushes, though.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Well since technically he is adjacent to you, and not sharing a same square, you can.

BULL RUSH: STANDARD ACTION
✦ Target: You can bull rush a target adjacent to you that is smaller than you, the same size category as you, or one category larger than you.
✦ Strength Attack: Make a Strength attack vs. Fortitude defense. Do not add any modifiers for the
weapon you use.
Hit: Push the target 1 square, and shift into the vacated space.
✦ Impossible Push: If there’s no square you can push the target into, your bull rush has no effect.

or...you can grab him too, and you both can be in a bear hug, immobilized with combat advantages. That makes me laugh.   Stick with attacks and stay away from skills like escape since you got low skillz and lots of  penalty.

You could, but given that the guy concerned has complained he doesn't have the athletics to escape, he's probably a CHAladin, and thus bull rush would be an even bigger waste of a standard action than normal, since it just won't have a hope in hell of hitting.  Even if he's str primary, it's better to attack the thing normally then bull rush it, since bull rush doesn't scale properly and wouldn't hit.
Note that since MM3 escaping from a monster grab has changed to mostly a moderate DC and for a few truly grab specialized monsters a hard DC check with the DC set by the level of the monster. It is NOT tied anymore to Fortitude or Reflex of the monster anymore. The reason for the change is exactly as the OP found out. Fort and Reflex can be rediculously high compared to checks, making it practically impossible to escape barring forced movement and teleports.

As others have said though, few monsters grab. There are ample of methods for a PC to be more readily able to deal with grabs, whether through the PC's own power of that of the group. Moving either you or the monster out of reach of the grabber tends to be the easiest way. Theoretically you could also use Aid Another, but I sincerely doubt a +2 on your check is worth a standard action from another PC. Killing the monster is most definitely easier ;)