I think I just got scammed. I feel like an idiot.

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm embarrassed to even post this but why not, i'm sure i'm not the only one. added a guy on mtgo and have been playing with him for the past week. nice guy, he's even given me a 2 tix for some cheap commons so I can compete in a tourny. Nice guy right? after knowing him for about 5 days, i'm trying to throw together my elf combo deck for legacy, and granted i'm a new player and I only have about 900 cards to my name. and of those only like 15 rares. I had put all my rares up for trade and my only ticket up for trade in hopes to fill in the rest of the roster with what I needed. which still is 4x nettle Sentinel. but anyway he said he would help me out. after him helping me out twice in the past I thought I couldnt go wrong. he had the tix to buy the elves and let me borrow them and I just had to provide him with a bunch of cards I had for trade as collateral. Being he still had to go purchase the Nettle's he wanted to get my side of the collateral first before dumping 20$ on Nettle's for me. him being honest in the past made for me to confirm his list of 75 items, which I didnt go through and see what he had taken for collateral. after the trade he said alright i'll go buy some and get them to you. then it says he is unavailable to chat. and it said that the entire night, I couldn't challenge him to a game or anything. and going back in to see what he took included every single one of my rares, and my only ticket. now i'm stuck with an empty elf deck, no tickets, and no cards anyone would ever trade for. It's so embarrassing, trusting someone who has done favors for you and then they screw you completely over. I am such an idot.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
You could report him/her to CS but since you confirmed the trade there is almost no chance that they would return your stuff.

Bottom line: don't do trades in two steps. You have zero guaranee that the second part will happen.

Edit: Also it sucks to say this but it's true. When you meet people online do not say you are new to MtgO. There are lots of douche-baggs that "pray" upon new players. We can't do anything to stop it so it's better if you never mention you're a new player.
You could report him/her to CS but since you confirmed the trade there is almost no chance that they would return your stuff.

Bottom line: don't do trades in two steps. You have zero guaranee that the second part will happen.

Yeah there is nothing I can do. Its amazing how you can't even trust a human anymore. you almost have to trade with bots to ensure honesty. or as you said, do the trade in one step, but then they'll try to make things untradable before the 2nd confirm and etc. its just a mess. I just don't know what i'm going to do now. I have like 2 tix worth of value in my entire collection. and I don't have money to buy more. i'm screwed.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I'm embarrassed to even post this but why not, i'm sure i'm not the only one. added a guy on mtgo and have been playing with him for the past week. nice guy, he's even given me a 2 tix for some cheap commons so I can compete in a tourny. Nice guy right? after knowing him for about 5 days, i'm trying to throw together my elf combo deck for legacy, and granted i'm a new player and I only have about 900 cards to my name. and of those only like 15 rares. I had put all my rares up for trade and my only ticket up for trade in hopes to fill in the rest of the roster with what I needed. which still is 4x nettle Sentinel. but anyway he said he would help me out. after him helping me out twice in the past I thought I couldnt go wrong. he had the tix to buy the elves and let me borrow them and I just had to provide him with a bunch of cards I had for trade as collateral. Being he still had to go purchase the Nettle's he wanted to get my side of the collateral first before dumping 20$ on Nettle's for me. him being honest in the past made for me to confirm his list of 75 items, which I didnt go through and see what he had taken for collateral. after the trade he said alright i'll go buy some and get them to you. then it says he is unavailable to chat. and it said that the entire night, I couldn't challenge him to a game or anything. and going back in to see what he took included every single one of my rares, and my only ticket. now i'm stuck with an empty elf deck, no tickets, and no cards anyone would ever trade for. It's so embarrassing, trusting someone who has done favors for you and then they screw you completely over. I am such an idot.

There are three people to blame here:

1) The guy.  He's a Jerk. To be fair, I dunno what "rares" you had but I'm going to guess they were all Standard rares which tells me you lost about $6.  Course I could be wrong there, could be more but you probably didn't lose the much monetarily.  You should not be surprised to hear many people have been bilked much more than you were.

2) You.  And you owned up to it.  Good on you.

3) WoTC.  Why WoTC?  Becasue the MTGO program throws new players to the wolves, and keeps finding appropriate traders and making trades work like it's the wild west.  They don't offer any advice when on-boarding new players on how to protect yourself beyond your account password, or how to go about making trades, and they have left making trades a free-for-all shoot-em out that leaves newer players or those who simply can't bare it all to turn to ever-more "convenient" methods to circumvent the system they have set up.

/rant over
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
among those rares were 3x foil/promo coat of arms, 4x elvish archdruid, 4x gilt-leaf, 3x elvish champion, 4x of another elf lord which paid 1 and tapped to put a 1/1 elf into play, 1x ezuri, and maybe a couple others. but it was the majority of the cards I used in my elf deck until I somehow got 4 nettle sentinels and then I had my elf combo deck list complete. but now I dont even have a deck to compete or even play with.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Most wild animals learned the "never trust a human" rule long ago.  As far as obtaining cradz I either bought from a bot or if it was a new staple chase speculation card I put an offer in classifieds close to the dealer buy prices.  The good news is you still have those planeswalker cards to be on an even level with those in the new player room.  I feel empathy for you.  Know that people have asked for a better trade environment for years now a few have even set them up outside the client but we are no longer allowed to purchase from them anymore all trades must be performed in the client.  Also the client limits you to 72 objecst at a time.  If you go to trade more than 72 tickets for something make sure it is a well established reliable bot otherwise don't make any trades on the promise of recieving anything in the future.   I even had a person I know in real life run off with my loaner Momir avatar in the client.

Remember plans are one thing but counterspells happen.
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
But if or when I bounce back from this at least I will learn from my mistake. and as a result of it happening so early the damage wasn't as bad as what it could of been with more high dollar rares. got my mistakes out of the way early and now am a better trader as a result of it. but still it sucks. not really mad about losing the cards and the ticket as much as I am upset that there are people like that still out there. that thrive on taking advantage of newer players for there own benifit. Its sad.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
among those rares were 3x foil/promo coat of arms, 4x elvish archdruid, 4x gilt-leaf, 3x elvish champion, 4x of another elf lord which paid 1 and tapped to put a 1/1 elf into play, 1x ezuri, and maybe a couple others. but it was the majority of the cards I used in my elf deck until I somehow got 4 nettle sentinels and then I had my elf combo deck list complete. but now I dont even have a deck to compete or even play with.

Foil/Promo Coat of Arms - 3 X $1.00 (note not exactly sure what this is, since there is no Promo Coat of Arms - just regulars and the Slivers version)
Elvish Archdruid - 4x $0.07
Gilt-Leaf Archdruid -  4x $0.66 (I'm guessing this the Gilt-leaf you are talking about - if it's the palace then knock off $0.40 for each)
Elvish Champion - 4x $0.37
Imperious Perfect - 4x x0.20 (note: not a rare)
Ezuri, Renegade Leader - 1x $0.06

So it looks like $9 worth of cards - I wasn't off by much.

As you can see, one of the first things you should do is familiarize yourself with the true value of your cards.   Now, depending on your age and other factors, $9 may be a lot to you.  But if you have the means to get $9, you can basically replace your deck.  So I would think it's not so bad. You could be back an playing your favourite elf deck in no time for the cost of less than one draft.

Also note that I visited a bot website to get these prices and I noted Nettle Sentinel is $3.33 (much less then the $5 the guy told you but a lot for a common - thanks pauper) but that said website had 169 of this card in stock.  Those two factors should tell you somethig with respect to the current pricing of this card.

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

Foil/Promo Coat of Arms - 3 X $1.00 (note not exactly sure what this is, since there is no Promo Coat of Arms - just regulars and the Slivers version)
Elvish Archdruid - 4x $0.07
Gilt-Leaf Archdruid -  4x $0.66 (I'm guessing this the Gilt-leaf you are talking about - if it's the palace then knock off $0.40 for each)
Elvish Champion - 4x $0.37
Imperious Perfect - 4x x0.20 (note: not a rare)
Ezuri, Renegade Leader - 1x $0.06

So it looks like $9 worth of cards - I wasn't off by much.

As you can see, one of the first things you should do is familiarize yourself with the true value of your cards.   Now, depending on your age and other factors, $9 may be a lot to you.  But if you have the means to get $9, you can basically replace your deck.  So I would think it's not so bad. You could be back an playing your favourite elf deck in no time for the cost of less than one draft.

Also note that I visited a bot website to get these prices and I noted Nettle Sentinel is $3.33 (much less then the $5 the guy told you but a lot for a common - thanks pauper) but that said website had 169 of this card in stock.  Those two factors should tell you somethig with respect to the current priceing of this card.

Yeah those are the cards. the coat of arms was shiny and had the different emblem. I'm 21 with 2 daughters so spending money on here isn't really an option for me because money is tight as is, it just so happens I love playing magic and its not really the cheapest hobby. if I get $9.00 i'm goin and finding me as many Nettle's as it'll buy me. I have every other piece in the deck. just need the Nettle Sentinels, and Glimpse of Nature's. and i'll be good to go. this site you went to it displays the prices of the card being sold by a bot in the game? is it accurate? and what site if you don't mind me asking?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Sorry for the bad experience, MRxPO5TMAN.   PM me your user name and I will see if there is something I can do. 
Sorry for the bad experience, MRxPO5TMAN.   PM me your user name and I will see if there is something I can do. 

Thank you WotC_K
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

Hell, PM me your username and I'll buy back all those cards for you tonight if you promise two things -

1) You will not make any other trades until you spend time learning how to do so on MTGO
2) You bring up your two girls well (said a father of two girls)

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

Hell, PM me your username and I'll buy back all those cards for you tonight if you promise two things -

1) You will not make any other trades until you spend time learning how to do so on MTGO

This is a real treat you guys. Just when I was thinking how its sad that there are scammers like the guy I knew out there but for every scammer and jerk out there theres always great guys like you guys who lend a helping hand. I can't thank you guys enough. you've truly given mtgo a whole new meaning to me with your generosity. looking forward to seeing you guys online!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Yeah those are the cards. the coat of arms was shiny and had the different emblem. I'm 21 with 2 daughters so spending money on here isn't really an option for me because money is tight as is, it just so happens I love playing magic and its not really the cheapest hobby. if I get $9.00 i'm goin and finding me as many Nettle's as it'll buy me. I have every other piece in the deck. just need the Nettle Sentinels, and Glimpse of Nature's. and i'll be good to go. this site you went to it displays the prices of the card being sold by a bot in the game? is it accurate? and what site if you don't mind me asking?

I am confused.  You said he took them all, and now you said you have all of them and just need the Sentinels?

There are some sites around if you look for them.  Not sure if we are allowed to post them.  I know the person who runs/(owns?) one of them posts on here.  You can also go to the trade section and look for cards being sold by people and bots.  Though the search and listings are all text based so not the easiest way to filter and find.

This is a real treat you guys. Just when I was thinking how its sad that there are scammers like the guy I knew out there but for every scammer and jerk out there theres always great guys like you guys who lend a helping hand. I can't thank you guys enough. you've truly given mtgo a whole new meaning to me with your generosity. looking forward to seeing you guys online!

Honestly 99% of magic players are awesome.  As with all people/groups/etc there are usually some bad apples so please don't let your 1 bad experience ruin it for you.  There is a scammerlist online if you want to add his/her username to the list. 

Very cool of you Danger/Chris to help this guy out.  Hopefully he will stick around now.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
No I don't have those. I use to have all of those in my elf deck before I wanted to make it a combo deck, and until I completed the deck list I just used those cards in it for the time being. But I made them all tradeable because the only cards I needed to complete the deck were the ones he said he was gonna get me, so I didn't need those rares anymore. Sorry if I misworded it. The cards I use for the combo deck were in my collection but put as not tradeable
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Good on you dangerlinto and Wotc_K for trying to help this guy out, well played.

I knew there was a reason why your liked so much by the masses. Thanks for helping out Chris.

Karma boost for you Danger.   

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Chris and Danger are more than generous. I was feeling really down about this scam and these guys really cheered me up. I can't thank either of you enough for your kindness forwards me. I wish there were more magic players like you guys.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
And the best part of this story?  Chris and Danger, MRxPO5TMAN is scamming you guys!  What a turn of events!  Laughing

Seriously though, most Magic players on MTGO are very nice people.  Note that I said "players", not traders.  Most people who trade all day long looking to make a buck are monetarily included to give you bad trades and make a profit when they can.  Some are obviously not above tricking you into giving them all of your cards if you let them. 

I think the key to finding time/money to play Magic Online is to teach the game to your daughters as soon as they are old enough.  If one or both of them enjoy the game, I'm willing to bet you will find a lot more time & money to put towards a great game.
And the best part of this story?  Chris and Danger, MRxPO5TMAN is scamming you guys!  What a turn of events!  Laughing

Heh - the thought did cross my mind.  It was quickly set aside.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
@danger I'm glad you don't think that way. Honestly when making this thread I had no intentions of trying to get compensation or handouts. I just wanted to share what happened to me and to see if someone knew if I could do anything about it. And to see if something like that has happened to someone else. But what Chris and Danger did for me was completely unexpected, and incredibly thoughtful. And if there's anything I can do to pay you guys back don't hesitate to ask.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
@danger I'm glad you don't think that way. Honestly when making this thread I had no intentions of trying to get compensation or handouts. I just wanted to share what happened to me and to see if someone knew if I could do anything about it. And to see if something like that has happened to someone else. But what Chris and Danger did for me was completely unexpected, and incredibly thoughtful. And if there's anything I can do to pay you guys back don't hesitate to ask.

I only ask two things: 

1) Have fun 
2) Pay it forward at somepoint in the future... after you become a grumpy old veteran like Danger Wink 
Deal
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Deal

Just wanted to point out to you that Chris is a wotc employee. 
He is a great guy,  but dont let that fool you. I have met him and can say that he would still be that way  even if he wasnt working for  wotc.
He goes beyond all the time  and we are thankful to have him looking out for us players.  

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Awesome that you guys beat me to it.  Karma got Chris back this afternoon when I dropped some extra stuff off in a meeting room for him ;)

Glad you got help, OP.
Awesome that you guys beat me to it.  Karma got Chris back this afternoon when I dropped some extra stuff off in a meeting room for him ;)

Glad you got help, OP.

I'm glad he was compensated. He deserved it.  And if I had the ability which I currently don't, but I am wanting to return the favor to dangerlinto for providing me with the rares I lost in the scam which he bought with his own expenses, and he had put back in my collection the minute I logged in to my account. You all are just great, hospitable people that I have the honor of playing magic with. Thank you all once again for everything.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but also can you please report the guy.  Even if you don't get anything back as a result of this, it should keep him from scamming other new players.

Someone tried to scam me twice this week, but fortunately I always check carefully between the first and second confirmation screens (he'd added an extra 10 tix after saying he'd confirmed the original trade)!

I told him I'd taken a screen print (which I included when reporting him), and he immediately disconnected from MTGO!

Cheers

PS. Glad you got your stuff back, and have fun! (From another dad to two girls)! 
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but also can you please report the guy.  Even if you don't get anything back as a result of this, it should keep him from scamming other new players.

Someone tried to scam me twice this week, but fortunately I always check carefully between the first and second confirmation screens (he'd added an extra 10 tix after saying he'd confirmed the original trade)!

I told him I'd taken a screen print (which I included when reporting him), and he immediately disconnected from MTGO!

Cheers

PS. Glad you got your stuff back, and have fun! (From another dad to two girls)! 

You said twice...what was the 2nd time?

Winter.Wolf

The same scam on my other account (which had the same buying ad up).

Cheers

way to keep your eyes peeled. That is so annoying to encounter that so often. I guess there are always going to be those sleezy no good kind of people. And ya I should report the guy before he does any more harm. thanks for the advice guys!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green