Where's my rats at, Wizards?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post

You can't just hand me the self-fulfilling prophesy that is Pack Rat and his little helper Drainpipe Vermin in RTR and then not give me any cool rats in Gatecrash.  What gives?

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

It might have something to do with us not having all the cards from the set yet. Just a crazy guess.
Patience, Grasshopper.
Agreed. Drainpipe Vermin isn't even playable. Typhoid Rats is, but there are a lot of people who are excited to play tribal rats with Pack Rat and don't want to play with a crappy rat deck that loses most games.
Agreed. Drainpipe Vermin isn't even playable. Typhoid Rats is...

I think you have that backwards.  I'm running both Pack Rat and Vermin in a mostly mono-black discard deck that shows pretty decently at local Standard events.  Typhoid Rats on the other hand, has pretty much been written off as a waste by much of the players down in the Standard forums.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I would be soooo happy if they really print more playable rats in this block! <3 *ratcollector*
But I honestly don't think we'll see more before DGM, most ravnican rats are somehow aligned with Rakdos.
But I honestly don't think we'll see more before DGM, most ravnican rats are somehow aligned with Rakdos.

I don't know, I'd be happy with some evasive Dimir rats.  MaRo promised that the Dimir guild would push the evasion envelope to make their Cipher spells worth using.

I was hoping for an Orzhov rat but Thrull Parasite is a thing, so that looks pretty slim.

I noticed we didn't get any Rakdos themed rats in Return to Ravnica. Seems strange, since Rakdos had not one, but two rats last time. I have also built the rat tribal deck for standard. I lost games that I didn't draw Pack Rat. On the flip side, I won if I did. Black being the color of tutors, I'd like to see something that let's me directly tutor for Pack Rat in mono black.

That, or a couple more playable rats. Ravenous Rats is better than I expected, and Drainpipe Vermin has synergy with Bone Splinters while Typhoid Rats laughs in the face of Thragtusk, but the deck definitely needs more. Personally, I ran with the discard theme presented, and used Shrieking Affliction, Shimian Specter, Duress, Appetite for Brains, and Black Cat, out of reluctance. I found Cower in Fear is a great combat trick, and Mutilate works great lategame. But nothing could push through the win like Pack Rats could.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I would think that pack rat would want dredge and flash back more than other rats?  You already have plenty of green and black green ways to find the rat and then fill up your hand with fodder.  Mulch, trackers instinct, grizzly salvage, treasure find (to get it back).

If anything you probably want rat catcher reprinted.

Would also be interesting to do pack rat in a populate deck.
If you do or don't like Typhoid Rats depends on how discard centric your deck is I guess.
It's the cheapest deathtoucher in the game and in combination with Swarmyard quite annoying. I love it.
Also hilarious if you use it as enabler for Throat Slitter. Not thaaaat practical but the expression in your opponents face is priceless.
A combination with Viridian Longbow is also nice, but the equip costs are slightly too high for my taste.

It's the cheapest deathtoucher in the game and in combination with Swarmyard quite annoying. I love it.

Actually, you know what, Swarmyard would be an awesome GTC reprint for two reasons.  We have a lot of Standard playable things that are, or make Insects, Rats, and Spiders.....also, we'd be getting something in GTC that makes Squirrels!

Never fear, Dimir is here. They will have trained sneaky rats. Wait are we talking figuritively or literally? I forgot...
Never fear, Dimir is here. They will have trained sneaky rats. Wait are we talking figuritively or literally? I forgot...

can we have blue rats?

I always wanted to see what the artwork would be if rats are blue mana. 

can we have blue rats?

I always wanted to see what the artwork would be if rats are blue mana. 

I'm pretty sure that a card similar to Scrib Nibblers could be printed as a one-drop if all it did was tap to mil one card and was just a 1/1 with nothing else.

I'm thinking Dimir could have enchanted rats that function as tiny eyes and ears for the House. You could get a U/B Rat that makes an opponent discard a card when it ETB and lets you draw a card when it dies.

Cats are better than rats for the "discard as a death trigger" thing.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Maybe the Simic will have a Rat Phelddagrif or some nonsense like that.

Phelddagrifs have always been three colors, but I'll allow it.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Phelddagrifs have always been three colors, but I'll allow it.

Because that's just what we need....tri-brid rats.  >_>

I would be soooo happy if they really print more playable rats in this block! <3 ratcollector="" br="">But I honestly don't think we'll see more before DGM, most ravnican rats are somehow aligned with Rakdos.

Wait for return to Kamigawa.
I built a curse deck in Innistrad.

Guess my disappointment when Avacyn Restored came along... 
Where's my rats at?

Washington?
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
My fiancee runs an extended (we know noone plays it but us) rats deck with Drainpipe Vermin, Typhoid Rats, Pack Rat, Ravenous Rats and the rest of the deck filled up with Relentless Rats.  It's quite fun to play.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result
Well, with the printing of Ogre Slumlord, I now know where my rat tokens are. 

Well, with the printing of Ogre Slumlord, I now know where my rat tokens are. 

I'm still holding out for an uncommon rat in the set.  Fingers crossed that it's good.  It could even be multicolor; I just want something that's slightly more playable than the likes of Drainpipe Vermin and Typhoid Rats.
I'd be happy to see a costed uncommon rat that ate away at the hand or library really well.

I'd be happy to see a costed uncommon rat that ate away at the hand or library really well.

Is it weird to go WB and use Resto Angel for Ravenous Rats?
Well, we at least have a rat token and Ogre Slumlord generates it.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

that's better than nothing, but as a huge fan of the four rats of Standard, I would love to have one more rat and two would be splendid. With two I could run 24 creatures all rats.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured