Countering cards cast by Jace, Architect of thought

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponent plays Primal Surge from his deck with Jace's -8 ability, I know I can counter that card since you "may cast that card". However, can he then take Cancel from my deck and use it to counter my counter. I think he can't because either both cards must be cast at the same time and there for, there is no target for Cancel, or because my counters effect resolves before he searches through my deck for Cancel. Can anyone help resolve this for me?
No they cannot. When Jace's ability resolves, they search each player's library for a card and then cast it. It's not an effect they get to do over the course of the turn, they search each library and cast a card from each one. Since the ability does not give a time frame to cast the card (like "until end of turn"), they cast all of the cards while Jace's ability is resolving. So they cannot use Jace's ability to cast a counterspell to counter your counterspell, since your counterspell is not on the stack while Jace's ability is resolving.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

However, the spells aren't cast all at once, so he could cast Primal Surge from his library and Reverberate from someone else's library targeting the Primal Surge.
Rules Advisor
Jace, Architect of thought

So all the free spells go on the stack before any resolve, and no players gets priority between the free castings, only after they all are cast?
correct
proud member of the 2011 community team
So if he plays primal surge and I counter before he searches my deck can he search my deck and cast cancel before my counter resolves
Primal Surge doesn't search
not sure I understand your question

how does Jace relate to Primal Surge?
proud member of the 2011 community team
Jace, Architect of Thought

He is asking that, if Jace's Ultimate gets Primal Surge and Cancel can he use the Cancel to counter his opponent's counterspell.

The answer is No. When you ultimate jace, you have to get both cards, then cast both. Your choice is to cast Primal Surge, and then counter your own primal surge; or cast only primal surge.

(Edit: or you can choose to cast neither, technically)

However, the spells aren't cast all at once, so he could cast Primal Surge from his library and Reverberate from someone else's library targeting the Primal Surge.

This isn't entirely true.

You can indeed get Primal Surge, and cast a Reverberate on it - but if your opponent responds to the Reverberate with Cancel (targeting the Primal Surge), the primal surge will be countered, and then the reverberate won't do anything.
So if he plays primal surge and I counter before he searches my deck

you can't do this, you have to wait for him to finish using Jace's ability completely before you can cast anything

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

This isn't entirely true.

You can indeed get Primal Surge, and cast a Reverberate on it - but if your opponent responds to the Reverberate with Cancel (targeting the Primal Surge), the primal surge will be countered, and then the reverberate won't do anything.

That doesn't make any of what FezzHead said any less true.

Cheers
Cheers for that