Sidhe Lord Companion

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am just curious how other tables handle this summoned creature.

The guy in our D&D group had this and claims that he can keep it always around with one use of the power since the power has a different duration for the summoned creature.  (I can't link to the power, since I am not a D&Di subscriber, maybe someone else can link it?)

Anyway, he claims that it even lasts through an extended rest, which I find to be ridiculous, since it means he can have his guy die in a combat and simply recast it since his power does reset after an extended rest, even if the effect doesn't expire.

So, how does it work?
Glossary entry on summoning:

Duration: The summoned creature lasts until the summoner takes a minor action to dismiss it or until the end of the encounter.

So, no dice. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Glossary entry on summoning:

Duration: The summoned creature lasts until the summoner takes a minor action to dismiss it or until the end of the encounter.

So, no dice. 

Even is the power says otherwise?
RAW Summon Sidhe Ally last until the end of the encounter since it doesn't specifically say the duration is instead of it and its thus still gouverned by the Summoning rule's duration.

But RAI the intent seem to have been that it stay until one of the condition is met since it can last until you use the power again, which is very unlikely if it last 5 minute max.

Summon Sidhe Ally: The guard lasts until it drops below 1 hit point, at which point you lose a healing surge (or hit points equal to your surge value if you have no surges left). Otherwise, the guard lasts until you dismiss it as a minor action or until you use this power again.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I'd read it as the 'or until you use this power again' overriding the normal restriction, because that wording is entirely extraneous otherwise.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'd read it as the 'or until you use this power again' overriding the normal restriction, because that wording is entirely extraneous otherwise.

No, it just means you can't have 2 of them if you have a way to recharge a daily power during an encounter.

For example you can't cast this, cast Rejuvenate Mind and then cast this again to get 2 of them.

It isn't something that is likely to come up often, but it can come up that you, for whatever reason, have two uses of that power for one encounter. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here