Simple and sweet Holy Symbol Questions

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am playing a Sorcerer/Barbarian hybrid and using the whirling slayer Barbarian class feature wielding two Longswords with seperate enhancements. I am also basing my character around using thunder and lightning powers, and to add flavor to my character I also had him worship Kord. I am just now realizing that Kord has a very beneficial holy symbol that fits my play style perfectly. My question is simple. Can I cast through my holy symbol while dual wielding longswords? I have been getting mixed answers throughout the forums, and in the character builder the holy symbol won't even show up on my power cards unless it is being held.
Can I cast through my holy symbol while dual wielding longswords?

No you can't because Sorcerers are not proficient with Holy Symbols and you need proficiency with an implement to use it with Implement powers. 

You can get Holy Symbol proficiency throught a feat for exemple. (ex. Initiate of the Faith, Soldier of the Faith)

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I'm sorry I should've clarified, I am proficient with Holy Symbols.

Just thought I'd add, I took  Initiate of the Faith, and I'm well aware they cannot be used with weapon powers. I'm looking to cast sorcerer powers through my holy symbol while wielding two longswords.
Coolio, In that case you will be able to use all your implement powers with a Holy Symbol yes. Note that you won't be able to use your weapon powers with it though.

The Character Builder is not always accurate but normally if you equipped it in the Holy Symbol slot you should see it on your implement power cards.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I would be using my longswords for weapon attacks, and the holy symbol for implement attacks. But i need to be sure that I can cast through the holy symbol without having it in my hand.
Yes you can use a implement without having to hold it in your hand, simply by wearing it.

RC 274 Holy Symbol: Associated with the divine power source, a holy symbol represents a deity and bears an emblem or an image of the god. Unlike other implements, a holy symbol can be used whether it is held or worn. If a creature wears or holds more than one holy symbol, none of these symbols function until only one remains (this rule is usually relevant only to magic holy symbols). 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Excellent. I have it equipped in the holy symbol slot and it isn't showing up on my cards even with the box checked. But that must just be a programming error. Thank you for your help.
Note: I would like to see your build if you don't mind.  Would you be up for a pit stop in Char-Op? I want to see how it all comes together.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Note: I would like to see your build if you don't mind.  Would you be up for a pit stop in Char-Op? I want to see how it all comes together.

I'd be interested too.  A Sorcerer|Barbarian with enough Wisdom to MC Cleric?  Interesting...

I'd be interested too.  A Sorcerer|Barbarian with enough Wisdom to MC Cleric?  Interesting...

13 isn't really that high of a starting score if you ever want to be able to have Sup Will.  16s in STR and Cha, 13 in Wis, racial bonus to STR and CHA I assume?
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Er, you qualify for sup will by having high CHA...

To the OP: it's worth noting that you need, with this layout, to have three attack items all at the right enhancement bonus, which is going to get hideously expensive at later levels.  You might want to look into using a Ki Focus.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Er, you qualify for sup will by having high CHA...

To the OP: it's worth noting that you need, with this layout, to have three attack items all at the right enhancement bonus, which is going to get hideously expensive at later levels.  You might want to look into using a Ki Focus.

/facepalm.  Sorry been thinking of STR/Dex for barbs too much.
Show