Must have 4e products?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
What are your must have 4e products? I think I've started something like this before, but I'm no longer sure. 

Mine would have to be:

(In no particular order)

• Player's Handbook 1

• Player's Handbook 2

• Player's Handbook 3

• Dungeon Master's Screen

• Monster Vault

• MV: Threats to the Nentir Vale

• Martial Power 1&2

• Arcane Power

• Divine Power

• Primal Power

• Psionic Power

• Adventurer's Vault

• Dungeon Master's Guide 1 (DMG 2 is very nice but I don't think it is a must have)

• Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead

• Manual of the Planes

• Both Draconomicons (I like the 3e one a little more)

• Rules Compendium

• Essential Tile Sets (City, Wilderness, and Dungeon)

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Mine is much shorter.

MV1
MV2
DDI Sub

Now, it will get much longer if/when they nix the DDI sub meaning anything. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
PH1
PH2
HotFL
HotFK
DMG1
DMG2
Rules Compendium
Appropriate rules updates to the DMG1
MM3
MV
MV,TttNV
DSCS (mostly for the inherent bonus rules)

Everything else is gravy on top
Rules Compedium
Dungeon Master Guide 1
Dungeon Master Guide 2
Dungeons and Dragons Insider Subscription

That's all you need to have everything the game offer for you. 
Presuming that you want access without worrying about whether DDI is going to go poof on you I'd say you could get years of entertainment value and cover 99% of the typical fantasy concepts with just the PHB1 and PHB2 (covers all the older edition core classes except the monk), the DMG and your choice of monster books (MM1 with a 1/2 level damage buff to all the monsters or the MV being my preferred choices).

Key supplements to that if you want more would be, Adventurer's Vault 1, the Power books (Arcane, Martial 1, and Divine) and more Monster books. Anything on top of that is gravy...

Mmmmm GRAVY!

As for myself, I've got every published 4E book from PHB1 through Dungeon Survival Guide (i.e. the last one with crunch) and the entire Dungeon/Dragon archive on my computer (and backed up) and have been making my own character sheets for years... I'm set.
Bit of a hybrid of mexrage and matyr here:

Rules Comp
MV1
DDI Sub

The first two are the only books that I take to games any more + the DDI compendium on my ipad.
DDi subscription
Rule Compendium 
I don't remember if Rules Compedium cover the updated monster building math from MM3 =/
What are your must have 4e products?

Not counting the core 3 (truly must-haves), and taking a less minimalist approach ;), I couldn't go without the DDE class books, and PH 2 and 3.  That's as a player.

As DM, I'd want to have DMG 2, MotP (my fav 4e book), and MV (for the updated monsters).  The Rules Compendium is nice to have as DM or player.

So-- still pretty minimalist I guess.  If I were to go hog wild ;), I'd throw in Adventurer's Vaults or Mordenkainen's Mag Emporium and a power book (Martial, Divine, Arcane Power and such).

/\ Art
I don't remember if Rules Compedium cover the updated monster building math from MM3 =/

To be fair I don't use any of the monsters as written either.  So, although it isn't an official DnD Product, I should add "DM Cheat Sheet" to my list.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I think some of you are misinterpreting the thread. The thread isn't about being a minimalist and only having core or DDi (Which will go down one day). I was talking the products that you just can't imagine your game without. Though DDi could be one of those there is no way its the only one.

To be fair I don't use any of the monsters as written either.  So, although it isn't an official DnD Product, I should add "DM Cheat Sheet" to my list.

Yes. The DM cheat sheet is amazing. I can run an entire game off that alone. No maps, books, minis, etc.

I think some of you are misinterpreting the thread. The thread isn't about being a minimalist and only having core or DDi (Which will go down one day). I was talking the products that you just can't imagine your game without. Though DDi could be one of those there is no way its the only one.

I can imagine any D&D session without pretty much everything except DDi, that's the thing Wink

With DDi, nothing is really a must have anymore, apart may be from the Rule Compendium for complete rules.

As far as DnD products are concerned (as in sold by wizards) the ones I listed are actually it.  I don't care about any of the core books, splat books, rules compendiums, w/e.  All of that is just extra crap to carry when a ipad with compendium is all there is to go on.

On a related note: If anyone has seen the new Lenovo tablet table and doesn't immediately think of using minis on it instead of using table hockey things you might want to rethink your gaming mindset.  If that thing is as good as it seems to be and a program can be made for a VT using it, I'll squee like no other. 
Show
Personal opinion...

Because of the utility of DDI, I approach my "must have" list from a collector's perspective instead of a player's perspective.  So, my list...

Player's Handbook 1
Player's Handbook 2
Player's Handbook 3
Dungeon Master's Guide 1
Dungeon Master's Guide 2
Monster Manual 1
Monster Manual 2
Monster Manual 3
Dark Sun Campaign Setting
Dark Sun Creature Catalog
Eberron Campaign Guide
Eberron Player's Guide    
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
Neverwinter Campaign Setting

And all of the Essentials products.               

All around helpful simian

Despite the fact that I spent far too much money and own around 95% of the released 4e books, I'd have to go with the following:

I could run a full (good and intriguing) campaign with the following 4 books:

Monster Vault
Rules Compendium
Heroes of the Fallen Lands
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms

That said, I love:

Dark Sun Campaign Setting
Dark Sun Creature Catalogue
Heroes of the Feywild
Neverwinter Campaign Guide
Mordenkeinen's Magnificient Emporium 
Must haves, eh? Mine would look like this:

• Player's Handbooks 1 and 2.

• Power books (arcane, divine, martial 1-2, and primal).

• Dungeon Master's Guides 1 and 2.

• Monster Manuals 1, 2 and 3.

• DDI.

I suppose I could do without, but I'd really want:

• Player's Handbook 3.

• Psionic Power.

• Manual of the Planes.

• The Plane Above.

• The Plane Below.

Everything else is just pie. Given the option, I'd also extract out what I like from Essentials and put it into a single book. It'd fit -- probably an 1/8th of all the Essentials stuff is agreeable to me, and maybe not even that much. Definitely not "must have" stuff.
I couldn't imagine parting with any of my pre-Essentials hardcovers (not counting adventures, FRCS, or Dragon compilations). Those without useful crunch are filled with good advice and/or setting material. Add in the Monster Vault and Rules Compendium, and I'm pretty good to go.

But bare-bones must-haves, IMO....
- Adventurer's Vault - shloads of items!
- Dungeon Master's Guide - how to run & page 42!
- Monster Manual 1 - monsters for all tiers! (substitute MV if only running Heroic & Paragon)
- Player's Handbook 1 & 2 - fundamental races/classes/rituals!
- Rules Compendium - THE at-the-table reference guide
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Sign In to post comments