Mana Mastery makes me punch holes in my monitor

179 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have 120 hours logged in Duals so I wouldn't call myself the worst magic player, yet I can't understand how I can come close to beating this deck.

I understand the general weakness is the lack of creatures but I don't get how I can deal with the fact that they have a metric ton of removal and a massive amount of ways to build mana and draw cards.  It'd be different if it was difficult to get 1 of each mana color, but this deck has it easy.

My online games today (about 80% of who I've played today has used MM) have been a bad showing for my favorite decks.  My regular Ancient Wilds/Pack Instinct/Berserker decks haven't stood a chance.  As soon as I put out a creature it died.  I sat there my first game today to watch every creature I put out wth Pack Instinct get destroyed by three vindicates in a row, all the while my opponent kept on generating mana until he put out his uncounterable Hydra.  If I had gone back to my GG roots a twister would have wiped the floor with me, a day of judgement would have ruined my day, or the new jund card that let's you do two damage to every creature on the board for 3 mana.  (Or, like other charms in the same deck, have the amazing versitility to chose two other options.)  I even had two hex-proof creatures out in one game but the twister doesn't care for those.

Even though I hate playing Jayce and CW I went back to those decks and gave it a shot.  My most notable cross-winds was countering Maelstrom Archangel from coming into play with three counter spells.  (Because Mana Mastery can literally do anything, including bringing cards back from the grave.)  The problem with my CW strat was I never got bribary or a time warp onto my mirror.  I got a total of 10 drakes out into play with Talrand and sorcery cards but, like any strat I've tried using any type of any creature, they were wiped out almost instantly.  I have yet to win with my CW deck either.

The only deck I have had success with is Jayce.  I specifically built a Jayce deck for insane removal and control spells and it worked wonders. 

Is the only deck that counters MM Jayce?  I've tried almost every deck at this point, and GP/Jayce/Burn seem like the only three decks that stand a chance against MM, while MM seems to counter the vast majority of decks in the game.

Speed mill FTW!
Removal heavy Black should do a job. Iy has a ton of removal for the creatures and can Befoul and Icy Maniplate certain lands to lock that colour down. It has a few large creatures of its own and can steal some of the better ones from MM's graveyard.

That's a good idea.  I'll have to dust off that deck as well.  I could easily see it being a toss up though because MM also has a ton of removal.  (The base deck without any unlocks gives you 3 day of judgements, 3 vindicates, and 2 twisters.  You unlock even more than this.)

If you get lucky enough to steal the Hyrda that's probably Black's best chance.

My big problem against this deck though is that I like to win with creatures.  I can't see very many decks that win with any combination of creatures standing a huge chance against MM.  They seem to have way too many answers for almost any situation.  I'm tinkering with my Burn deck again, but like I said, I hate playing Jayce/Burn.  If MM is going to be the "beknighted" of 2013 though, then I guess I'll have to get used to it.
I have yet to play with/against this deck as I am an unfortnate soul on the Xbox, but I feel like Born of Flame could quickly burn out MM before things got too crazy.
The only deck that can steal pregenitus is crosswinds, cuz that card will never touch the GY.
You don't have to Bribe the 10/10 you can exile it from thier library.

BoF is a great answer to MM.
Hard, fast burn to the face.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Removal heavy Black should do a job. Iy has a ton of removal for the creatures and can Befoul and Icy Maniplate certain lands to lock that colour down. It has a few large creatures of its own and can steal some of the better ones from MM's graveyard.

If MM is going to be the "beknighted" of 2013 though, then I guess I'll have to get used to it.

There's way to many decks to counter MM. It's not nearly as OP as BK was.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Mana Mastery is POWERFUL
I only play 2hg lately, but it is towing the line.
Only time will tell, and it's a really hard deck to play/build well, but in the hands of a good player, it's very hard to beat.  Paired with another control deck and things get even nastier.
Time will tell, but my money says its the most OP duels deck yet. 
Mana Mastery is POWERFUL

Funfact:

Mana Mastery has more Mythic Rare spells than Common Spells.
Mana Mastery is POWERFUL

Funfact:

Mana Mastery has more Mythic Rare spells than Common Spells.

I thought you said "fun".. to me that seems like a depressing fact.
Five color decks deserve to be the best.
I went online with Mana Mastery before I unlocked a single card for it and didn't lose a single game all night.

If this deck isn't OP then I would be very curious what your definition of OP is.

The problem with using DP to counter it is that, since deck choice is hidden (which is a Good Thing, don't get me wrong), you either play against MM and stand a decent chance - it's easy to mill a deck that thins itself out so rapidly with ramp and card draw - or you end up playing any other deck at all and struggle (because DP is one of the worst decks in 1v1).

It's a fun deck to play, but I doubt I'll be playing Duels much more if it becomes a situation where everyone plays it.  It's just not fun to lose to, and it's boring that only a few decks out of 21 even stand a meaningful chance against it.
I went online with Mana Mastery before I unlocked a single card for it and didn't lose a single game all night.

If this deck isn't OP then I would be very curious what your definition of OP is.

The problem with using DP to counter it is that, since deck choice is hidden (which is a Good Thing, don't get me wrong), you either play against MM and stand a decent chance - it's easy to mill a deck that thins itself out so rapidly with ramp and card draw - or you end up playing any other deck at all and struggle (because DP is one of the worst decks in 1v1).

It's a fun deck to play, but I doubt I'll be playing Duels much more if it becomes a situation where everyone plays it.  It's just not fun to lose to, and it's boring that only a few decks out of 21 even stand a meaningful chance against it.

(I think it actually becomes weaker when you swap cards out... Could be wrong though...)
How can a deck be possibly OP when its made up of mostly of mythic rare cards?

[/sarcasm] 
I think the real question here is how many holes can one truly punch into a monitor? I feel like after the first one, you're probably done punching holes in it. Of course, trying to play against MM with a broken monitor would definitely cause some frustration for anybody....
How can a deck be possibly OP when its made up of mostly of mythic rare cards?

[/sarcasm] 

6 Mythic rares are rotting on my sideboard, because they're all competing for a very limited spot: Expensive creatures. (or they're simply bad like Maelstrom Nexus)

The deck doesn't need the unlocks because it's heavy on ramp and removal from the start, which is the heart of the deck. What creature you finish your opponent with doesn't matter as much.

I still think there are enough decks that can beat it. GM, BoF, DP, MS and CW have a pretty good matchup.
I agree, Mana Mastery instantly became the 2nd best deck in the game overnight. Goblins is still better though.

Beknighted was more OP than this deck in every way though. Hey, let me drop a turn 3 female knight that makes every single creature I drop for the rest of the game indestructable. Oh, and there are three copies of it in the deck so if you remove it, chances are I'll get another one. Oh, and just about every creature in the deck has multiple abilities. Oh, and there are a bunch of instants that give my creatures +7/+7 for just one mana.

I think the real question here is how many holes can one truly punch into a monitor? I feel like after the first one, you're probably done punching holes in it. Of course, trying to play against MM with a broken monitor would definitely cause some frustration for anybody....

Oh you'd be surprised.  I punch small holes through my monitor with a pen, in a square formation.  Then I just change the resolution to go smaller and smaller to match the new frame. 

In my opinion the list goes like this:

Gets beaten every time unless MM has an awful draw:

Celestial Light, Pack Instinct, Peacekeepers, Exalted darkness, Act of War, Sky and Scale, Ancient Wilds, Grinning Malice, Mindstorms, Collective Might, Sepulchral Strength, and Aura Servants

(Chose these decks because they can do zero against the ABSURD amount of massive removal.  Two twisters, three day of judgements, and 2 vindicates come in the BASE DECK with no unlocks.  Once people unlock lavalanches it's even more nails in the coffin.  Anything these decks put out can be removed with almost no effort and they have no way to solve ramping.)

Loses most of the time barring an amazing draw:

Goblin Gangland, Berserker's Rage, Grim Procession, and Rogue Gallery

If you can get a steady goblin pressure going while MM is still prepping for their turn 3 twister that deals 1 damage to every creature GG might stand a chance.

Rogue's Gallery with the new 1 mana card that let's you exile a card from someone's deck could take the wind out of a MM deck but RG is going to be pretty weak to removal.

While I've always liked how much control GP has I can't wrap myself around their win conditions.  They got the removal, but they don't have any protection from enemy removal.

Toss up:

Crosswinds/Leliana

(If you draw enough counter-spells you're in the clear as long as you can do something before Hydra comes out or you draw a bribary.  It's really up to the luck of the draw.  If you get a good enough draw you'll win most of the time.)

After tinkering with Liliana a bit I'm having problems getting creatures to stick, (of course) but can chuck out their creatures... for a time.  It's mostly a race and luck to get valid threats out into the field and using mire's toll to try and chuck out their Hyra, which is one of the only things you can't deal with.  Dread works wonders if you manage to get him out early enough, you just have to hope they don't have removal.  (Which is almost impossible)

Goes even:

Jayce deck built for discarding:

MM churns through their deck extremely fast and actually help you by milling their own deck.  They search through their library a metric ton for easy archive traps.  Body doubles take out any fantastic creatures from their graveyard, mind control solves half of them, and you got enough counter spells to ruin their day.  You still got to watch out for a Hyrda, their mutiple creatures with protection, burns, having your artifacts and enchaments destroyed with their multiple vindicates, their charms that let them bring in creatures from the graveyard to play, and a multitude of other condentional things.  You just need a good hand and a good draw.

Born of Flame:

Their massive removal will be wasted on you as you burn their pathetic life total down before their big creatures become any problem.  Probably the one measely thing that MM can't do is regain life.  Well, they do have a 6/6 flyer with protection from red, flying, and lifelink but... let's not think about that.

Why MM makes me rage so much and why I think it's so ridiculous is for these three reasons:

1)  There's extremely limited ways of dealing with Hyrda.  Bribary can take it, but Leliana is probably more suited to dealing with it due to innocent blood (hoping they have only one creature) delaying it until they draw it again or just getting rid of it with mire's toll or Nightmare Incursion.  The new deck, GP, can exile the card at turn 1 but you are forced to put a card with limited uses in your deck "just in case". 

Normally I wouldn't consider a deck OP for just one creature but... MM gets huge draw cards that almost guarantee it'll pop out once they hit their 10 mana ramp. 

2)  Removal combined with the best creatures in the game.  If MM didn't have as much ramp it'd be more balanced but when you combine a slew of the best removal cards from all decks, combine them, and then toss in the fact that they're going to be putting out the strongest creatures in the game out at the same time?  Tough cookies to any deck that wins primarily with creatures.  These same creatures are capable of protection from tons of colors (or just everything), lifelink, destroying everything when killed, reach creatures, you name it they got it.  And every creature is a bonified game-ending threat.

3)  Deck choices are hidden.  While there's really no solution to hidden deck choices the strength of MM makes it into a problem.  There's maybe 3 decks out of 21 in the game capable of dealing with MM.  I happen to love winning with creatures and Ancient Wilds is my personal favorite deck.  There's decks really strong against Ancient Wilds but nothing that flat-out destroys it with no options of coming back without getting even more destroyed.  MM does that with almost every deck. 

I'm getting used to Jayce/CW/Leliana but I'd hate to be bogged down into only playing these three control-type decks just because I don't want to lose to MM.

Mindstorm gets beaten every time by this? I don't think so. I'd actually say the matchup is in MS's favour when it's built for direct damage.
Grinning Malice can be VERY hard to beat with all the haste and discard. Most of your sweepers are sorcery speed and you'll have a hard time dealing with Demigods once and for all.

There are lots of ways to deal with Progenitus. Mass removal, counterspells, sacrifice effects to name a few, but most importantly winning the match before somebody gets 10 specific lands on the board. You're acting like it was a 5-drop instant-win. 

This,

this,

and especially this!!!

To me the deck looks close to game breaking. It's, contrary to my original thoughts when looking through the decklist, much stronger and way better at ramping than even Ancient Depths. You get Domain on turn 3, if you know how to build the deck and mulligan your way into a decent starting hand. As a matter of fact, the default build is so efficient and so strong, that it's at least as good as any build at getting the lands you need. On top of that, there's not a single creature in the deck that isn't in some way mindblowingly insane, there are a few which are almost impossible to deal with. You actually kill off your own creatures more than your opponent does with the board sweepers like Day of Judgment and Child of Alara. My eyes are hurting from all the eye-rolling I'm doing while unlocking cards for this deck. 
This deck may be top tier, but it gets eaten by Talrand (my favorite deck). Out of 6 different opponents, only one managed to drop my life below 20. And yeah, using Bribery on Progenitus does feel very good. Tongue Out
I haven't lost a game (6 games so far) with my Dream Puppets build.
I have 120 hours logged in Duals so I wouldn't call myself the worst magic player, yet I can't understand how I can come close to beating this deck.

I understand the general weakness is the lack of creatures but I don't get how I can deal with the fact that they have a metric ton of removal and a massive amount of ways to build mana and draw cards.  It'd be different if it was difficult to get 1 of each mana color, but this deck has it easy.

My online games today (about 80% of who I've played today has used MM) have been a bad showing for my favorite decks.  My regular Ancient Wilds/Pack Instinct/Berserker decks haven't stood a chance.  As soon as I put out a creature it died.  I sat there my first game today to watch every creature I put out wth Pack Instinct get destroyed by three vindicates in a row, all the while my opponent kept on generating mana until he put out his uncounterable Hydra.  If I had gone back to my GG roots a twister would have wiped the floor with me, a day of judgement would have ruined my day, or the new jund card that let's you do two damage to every creature on the board for 3 mana.  (Or, like other charms in the same deck, have the amazing versitility to chose two other options.)  I even had two hex-proof creatures out in one game but the twister doesn't care for those.

Even though I hate playing Jayce and CW I went back to those decks and gave it a shot.  My most notable cross-winds was countering Maelstrom Archangel from coming into play with three counter spells.  (Because Mana Mastery can literally do anything, including bringing cards back from the grave.)  The problem with my CW strat was I never got bribary or a time warp onto my mirror.  I got a total of 10 drakes out into play with Talrand and sorcery cards but, like any strat I've tried using any type of any creature, they were wiped out almost instantly.  I have yet to win with my CW deck either.

The only deck I have had success with is Jayce.  I specifically built a Jayce deck for insane removal and control spells and it worked wonders. 

Is the only deck that counters MM Jayce?  I've tried almost every deck at this point, and GP/Jayce/Burn seem like the only three decks that stand a chance against MM, while MM seems to counter the vast majority of decks in the game.

Learn to play n00b!
This deck is a disappointment !
I thought it would be nice, but i hardly win 50% of the games in 1 vs 1 and most of the times against newbies and even there it is a close race. 
It's the same in DoTP 2012 with Ancient Depths: At the beginning, all people scream how imba it was, but later people figure out how to counter it and than it sucks down into mid-tier and luckbased wins.

The problem of the deck is the 30 hp pool, even with so many removals, many decks can play around removals. The first 3-4 round you can't do much, and because of the lack of many instants, combat tricks hurt it extreme. People hold back their creatures too, so they make damage, even if you hold back your massremoval to kill more, they do esay damage to you. And at the end, the few fatties could removed too, so drop them isn't your auto-win.

At all, the deck is at best medicore, not more. And i had such a thrill of anticipation about it .... such a disappointment Frown

In 2hg this is one of the best decks, in 1v1 i think it is above average but beatable.
It's not as bad as all that.  Off the top of my head, there's at least 4 awfully bad matchups:
MS and BoF  Direct damage and only a few creatures.. with no early pressure to worry them they'll win around turn 6 or 7, and there's not a whole lot MM can do.
DP MM self-mills itself, and only gets one or two creatures out late that can be handled cheaply.  Turbo-mill DP eats its lunch. 
GM  Haste can't be stopped because MM has few instants.  Discard hurts bad when the deck needs land AND ramp AND draw/sweepers in order to start the beatdown train going.  The various cards that damage based on a card's mana cost will destroy MM's life-total when it hits a bunch of 7+ costed cards.

And a few pretty even matchups:
CW  MM has a better chance than most at killing the mirror/Future Sight, and a kicked Rite of Replication isn't as useful when the chance of facing an immediate sweeper is so high.  But with careful play of counters and other instant speed trickery it's certainly doable.
GG  Again, haste kills against sorcery-speed removal.  An early blitz of 12-15 damage will get wiped, then you can trickle in 2 damage here and there until you can Goblin Grenade the rest.  Not as good as most matchups for GG, but certainly winnable often enough.
SS  I believe most of if not all of MM's removal is negated by regeneration, and SS has plenty removal of its own, as well as being able to keep up on card draw.  Not to mention Blood Artist can whittle away serious health, especially if you run something like Mitotic Slime.
GP  Falkenrath Noble loves sweepers, Pillory of the Sleepless loves long games, and Debtor's Knell loves both, although MM has a lot of ways to negate the latter.  There's lots of removal to stall.  Doomed Traveller and Restless Apparition have to be killed twice, and Ghost Council of Orzhova is hard to get rid of.
OD  MM is probably actually favored here, but since each OD creature can win by itself, you don't have to lose card advantage to sweepers.  And it's got removal and ways to get card draw.

I also want to do some experimenting with Berserker Rage.. you really only need the one creature on the field with mana to spare on instants to win with it, and MM's instant removal is limited to the charms, which themselves are limited in what each one can do to disrupt.

Overall, I think the early reaction is what we see with most powerful decks.. lots of frustration that settles down as solutions are found, and people learn how to play (such as by only dropping a creature at a time to minimize the effectiveness of the sweepers).

Plus, who says DP is only good against this??  It destroys CW, SS, OD, MS, AW.. any slow control deck.  Not *too* bad against some of the other decks either (GP, PI, ED..)
In my opinion Mana Mastery is extremely versatile, has incredible card draw and huge badass finishers which will win you the game in 2-3 turns. This deck is definitely one of the best if not the best deck in the game.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Plus, who says DP is only good against this??  It destroys CW, SS, OD, MS, AW.. any slow control deck.  Not *too* bad against some of the other decks either (GP, PI, ED..)

True, it only fears hasty red decks (BoF, GM, GG).
Loving this deck so far! The only downside not getting green mana and a mana gathering source spell on the first hand.
Ok, it's not that bad, but i was so hyped and so excited about this deck, that i want to win with it, but yeah, only get wins is impossible. Today, everyone play this deck or the counterdecks, it's better to wait a bit until everything get back to normal.

Maybe he meant Phyrexian Monitor? It has Regenerate, so you can punch all you want.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Maybe he meant Phyrexian Monitor? It has Regenerate, so you can punch all you want.

Post of the Day!

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Post of the Day!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Well played Sean.  

Enpyrial ArchAngel may be the best creature in this deck, tied maybe with Progenitus.  It's fair to say that your opponent is holding removal for the few creatures you do have for finishers, so protection, or shroud are the best way to counter it.

Also, the deck is really good before the first unlock, so its best not to be tempted with altering it's magic ramp/card draw formula.  

Wow, this deck blows all the others out of the water in 2hg.  Hard to win without it anymore really.  It also blasts artifacts and enchantments with prenicious deed, maelstrom pulse, and Vindicate.  How many decks can win with instants/sorceries?

I have always been impressed by how the designers maintained a delicate balance of power in Duels.  It's obvious they knew exactly what they were doing when they added this deck, so my thoughts are:  Are they giving the fans a "golden egg" or waiting to see how the meta evolves?  

I, for one am going with control resistant creatures like Mitotic Slime, or enchantments like Indestructability.  I have to look through my decks with new insight, and see what can be done about all this.  

Maybe it's time to bring out the old OD/BoF combo for 2hg.. Exsanguinates, burn, Underworld Dreams, Innocent blood, all look useful.   MM doesn't really come with any life-gain after all.
GP is a great counter to this deck. Castigate removes from hand, Liege removes from board, Pillory locks down fattys, Falconrath loves board wipe, Debtors'.... well, if it sticks is wonderous.

Show

Good call Devil.

Good call Devil.

Did I mention Unmake has a thing for Progenitus?
"Young man, you must leave the battlefield and you are not allowed to go back to your library!"

Show

Umm, no targetting?  I didn't think you could target Progenitus with anything.

Of all things, Death is least permanent.
Good call Devil.

"Young man, you must leave the battlefield and you are not allowed to go back to your library!"

Is the game coded wrong?  Unmake can't target Progenitus.

Good call Devil.

Protection from Everything means Protection from Everything. Did you forget that?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Considering how often people post about impossible plays, sometimes I wonder if they actually play this game or just theorycraft all day.
Sign In to post comments