Revealing a card on the battlefield

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it possible to "reveal" a card in a public zone? Let's say that I control a Darksteel Colossus that's been turned face-down. If it then gets destroyed, what actually happens? If I reveal it from the battlefield, I'll just reveal a face-down creature, right? If it's still revealed after being shuffled into my library, then I'll reveal the actual card, but does it remain revealed during or after the shuffle?

For that matter, how does Darksteel Colossus even work for this situation? It doesn't have the replacement ability while it's face-down, so will it actually hit the graveyard?
Rules Advisor
Yes. Cards do it with the exile zone all the time.

When a face-down permanent leaves the battlefield, it gets revealed as it leaves. If it's a colossus, you'll reveal a colossus, then put it into the graveyard (its replacement effect wasn't active as it left).

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

all face down cards that leave the battlefield have to be turned face up
then the replacement effect kicks in, you reveal it (it's visible already anyway) and shuffle it in the library

/edit: overruled ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
...so its shuffle-me-into-lib replacement ability won't trigger apply?

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

...so its shuffle-me-into-lib ability won't trigger?

it's not a trigger
if it was a trigger it would surely trigger, since it would be an "enter the graveyard trigger"

but since it is a replacement effect ShardFenix disagrees with me ;)
Shard_fenix is correct here.  The card is only revealed, not turned face up.  It won't be a face up card until it's in the graveyard and by that point it will be too late for it's replacement effect to apply.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

The only replacement effects that look into the future are "Enter the battlefield" replacement effects. "Leaves the battlefield" and "enters (any other zone)" replacements have to exist before the event happens.

Rules Advisor

Interesting. Thanks.

If an effect forced you to reveal a face-down permanent (but not turn it face up), would you show what the actual card is?
Rules Advisor
Wait! Colossus has not been settled yet!
The replacement effect does not exist while it's in the Library; still, it works. Why not from the Field (even when hidden)?

If an effect forced you to reveal a face-down permanent (but not turn it face up), would you show what the actual card is?

I'm not sure what you mean. Revealing means showing people what the card is.

Rules Advisor

A face-down creature has no abilities, right? Not even the replacement effect, so by the time it would be a Colossus again, it would have to already be in the graveyard, at which point it's too late to do anything instead. If the Colossus is in the library, it's hidden, but it still has its abilities.

Edit:

I'm not sure what you mean. Revealing means showing people what the card is.

What I mean is that "face-down" is not the same as "hidden." If you revealed a face-down creature, you'd show exactly what it is: a 2/2 creature with no abilities.
Rules Advisor
Wait! Colossus has not been settled yet!
The replacement effect does not exist while it's in the Library; still, it works. Why not from the Field (even when hidden)?

Yes it does. All cards have the abilities printed on them in all zones. Colossus' ability is not a battlefield-exclusive ability, it works in all zones.

Rules Advisor

If the Colossus is in the library, it's hidden, but it still has its abilities.

Not according to rule 112.6.

I guess the «from anywhere» text allows Colossus to work under rule 112.6b...

What I mean is that "face-down" is not the same as "hidden." If you revealed a face-down creature, you'd show exactly what it is: a 2/2 creature with no abilities.

no
you will reveal what it actually is, it will just remain face-down for rules purposes
If the Colossus is in the library, it's hidden, but it still has its abilities.

Not according to rule 112.6.

112.6b. An ability that states which zones it functions in functions only from those zones.

I'm pretty sure this applies, since the colossus says it works "from anywhere."

Rules Advisor

Yes, I just edited my previous post accordingly!

So, in the end, the collossus will be shuffled in the owner's library or not ?

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

In this scenario no.  On the battlefield it was a face down creature, which is a 2/2 with no abilities.  It's revealed as it leaves the battlefield, but it's not actually a darksteel colossus again until it's in the graveyard, which by then is too late.  It remains in the graveyard.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

In this scenario no.  On the battlefield it was a face down creature, which is a 2/2 with no abilities.  It's revealed as it leaves the battlefield, but it's not actually a blightsteel colossus again until it's in the graveyard, which by then is too late.  It remains in the graveyard.

Cool.

As opposed to the Lorwyn reincarnations or the legendary Eldrazis ("when put into the graveyard from anywhere") but any creature with "When put into the graveyard from the battlefield" wouldn't trigger indeed.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments