MOPR PROMOS

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I noticed today that I received the promos I earned for last month's mopr. Some call of the herds and a cabal coffers, some decent stuff. Out of curiosity I decided to check what the upcoming promos were going to be, and maybe if I'm lucky, I'll see the overlap of the following month's promos to see if they are worth trying to get. Well, I was welcomed to the MOPR page with a new set of MOPR rules and changes, and that now only two promos will be given out a month; One for playing in any event that has eight players, and one for spending at least 20$ in the Magic Online store.

Now, I don't really mind cutting back on player rewards as most of the promos were garbage anyway, but why did this just have to be "snuck" in with no notification to the players. I JUST asked an orc if there was any articles discussing these recent changes with the players. What he sent me back was the same MOPR rules page I visited the first time stating the new rules of the MOPR and the new promos, only problem is this page doesn't explain anything to me but the new MOPR, not WHY this was done, which is what I was interested in. Also, none of the players in the limited room knew until I said something. This is the type of communication problem us, the customer, have been complaining about for a while. Was this not worth mentioning to your player base? I personally don't care much about a few lost promos that were going to be bad anyway, but why did you guys feel the need to "sneak" in a new set of rules and act like no one would notice or say anything? Why not let the players know detailing why this was done and what are possible future scenarios of the MOPR. Again, classless communication by WOTC.
There was a FEATURE ARTICLE on the mothership. It was in the same article about the MOCS changes and removal of the four-booster sealed. The discussion thread is just a few lines down from here.

MOPR was changed because the old system was too Byzantine and difficult for the average user to follow. Also, an unstated reason is probably to conserve promos a bit.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Also, an unstated reason is probably to conserve promos a bit.

They have 350+ paper promos still to give out online. They weren't running out anytime soon. And now that they're creating new promos for online only, we'll probably never catch up to paper.
Thanks Bubba, I find it a little funny not only did two seperate orcs not know about that link, numerous players including myself didn't even know it existed as well as any changes to the MOPR. This does help clarify things though, I was baffled when I seen only two promos as opposed to the numerous we've been use to, I thought they possibly just haven't posted the promos yet.
Thanks Bubba, I find it a little funny not only did two seperate orcs not know about that link, numerous players including myself didn't even know it existed as well as any changes to the MOPR. This does help clarify things though, I was baffled when I seen only two promos as opposed to the numerous we've been use to, I thought they possibly just haven't posted the promos yet.

That the ORCs don't know is annoying. I can understand them linking to the page they did as a first response, but if pressed they should know about the article.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
There was a FEATURE ARTICLE on the mothership. It was in the same article about the MOCS changes and removal of the four-booster sealed. The discussion thread is just a few lines down from here.

It was also announced in the weekly blog the same way the new promos for the month are always announced.
I find that having to go out and check websites for changes is not really the best way to approach things.  I frequently forget to check news websites for weeks or months, even for games I actively play.  Especially websites that look like the ones referred to in the first post.  They don't change too often and are not organized well.  Why don't they add a note to the "Magic Online Personal Summary"?  Or a note inside the client?  There are many better ways to inform players of changes that can impact them.

That the ORCs don't know is annoying. I can understand them linking to the page they did as a first response, but if pressed they should know about the article.

That the ORC's don't know is to be expected. They are still just chat mods, even after all this time.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

That the ORC's don't know is to be expected. They are still just chat mods, even after all this time.

No, not really. They've long been full-fledged members of Customer Service.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

The website is definitely the primary place to check for these kinds of announcements, but it's still information that ORCs should have handy just in case. I've made sure they're reminded so they can provide the article link next time someone asks.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I would like to add to what DWizard said and suggest that you consider implementing a news section/feature to the new client you are developing. Requiring players to check websites to stay informed is ridiculous. At a minimum, provide a link in the client that takes you to said webpages.
At a minimum, provide a link in the client that takes you to said webpages.

The client usually includes such links in the Announcements.
I have no problem finding those information but agree they are spread out:
some on mothership
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/default.a...
some on blog
community.wizards.com/magiconline
and some on welcome page inside the client

Anyway, about promos, I'm trying to keep up with updates here:
community.wizards.com/magiconline/wiki/M...
There's a new blog post with the MOCS Season 2 and February MOPR promo cards:

community.wizards.com/magiconline/blog/2...

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

So FOW is followed by.... Supreme Verdict... meh. It's not even OLD.

And let's pretend the other two promos aren't underwhelming (even though they are).

Good times are certainly behind us with the new mopr aren't they.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
I think (hope) that they purposefully made the promos less than exciting this month because they knew gatecrash would have record sales no matter what they did.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Yes, they are CS. But most of them aren't nearly as knowledgeable as should be required.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate the job they do, just that I am disappointed in how they are managed and trained. Orc's are the front line of CS for the majority of players, and they should have more then a passing understanding of:

1. How the UI works and some of the quirky interface issues
2. At least L1 rules knowledge
3. Current rules engine bugs
4. Current/recent Promos and which events award them
5. Current articles on the mothership

I don't think any of the above is too much to ask of "Tier 1 Customer Service reps".

Guess what? Chicken butt.

So FOW is followed by.... Supreme Verdict... meh. It's not even OLD.

And let's pretend the other two promos aren't underwhelming (even though they are).

Good times are certainly behind us with the new mopr aren't they.

Fow > Supreme Verdict = worse than meh, but not quite at the level of a poke in the eye with a stick.

Textless & full art is always cool, IMO, even if only marginally playable.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I don't believe the surpeme verdict is textless or full art... just an alt art version. I'm personally dissapointed with this follow up MOCS promo, I thought this was there chance to start to get legacy staples into the system, I guess not! The first promo of the new MOCS has historically always been a good one, here's to hoping this year's promos are not the same mediocre promos as the last two!
I don't believe the surpeme verdict is textless or full art... just an alt art version.  ...

I'm aware of this. I was referring to the Tidings and Magmaquake for next month's MOPR promos.

I don't believe the surpeme verdict is textless or full art... just an alt art version.  ...

I'm aware of this. I was referring to the Tidings and Magmaquake for next month's MOPR promos.

Are they even calling them mopr anymore? I thought that ended in 2012. Now they are calling them participation prizes or something I think. (I don't recall the exact wording but that is what I remember.)

Winter.Wolf

Are they even calling them mopr anymore? I thought that ended in 2012. Now they are calling them participation prizes or something I think. (I don't recall the exact wording but that is what I remember.)

Yes. The "qualification requirements" have changed, but they are still called MOPR according to the blog.