Different ways to present potions

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I dont really remember where i had read it, i know dark sun talks about healing potions in apples, but in some game book somewhere i had read (unless im crazy) about preserving the spell for the healing potion in other things like ceramic tiles and such. id love to introduce this into my game if anyone has any ideas where i could find it or any suggestions on how to balance it if its not?
This is fluff. Your free to do whatever you want, and it should be balanced. It's your DM's choice what you can and can't put potions in, unless you're the DM, then it's your choice. If you can use your armor as your ritual book (specifically mentioned in PHB2 somehwere), I'm sure could use a tile as your potion. Don't know why you'd want to be ingesting ceramics though...

The potion's effects take effect when you snap the tile in half, not eat it.

Basically, the only thing that you need to define a potion is that...
A. It costs the standard amount,
B. It's a consumable item, and
C. Requires the usual action minor action to pull it out and another minor to activate it
 ...whether that be pulling out a bottle and drinking it, drawing a card from a deck and tossing it on the ground, snapping a magical tile in half or even making mystical gestures while crossing out some kind of temporary design drawn on your forehead with magical ink...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I wish I could make potions like the Mistborn series vials.  That would be interesting.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
i wanted to give my healer a boost by giving him something i could break on people, thought itd be funny to smack a player on the back of the head and heal him mehehe

That's actually very similar to a couple of the alchemical items in the game... Rather than handing the potion to the ally, the character doing the handing takes the action to activate it. Assuming that you're not adjacent to the person you're trying to "potion-to-the-head", you'll probably want to throw in some sort of attack roll vs. Reflex or something to successfully affect them, and it would have a seriously short attack range.
Alternately, just like alchemical items, you could have them created as amunition, which takes effect on a successful attack roll. (Although, honestly, it's generally just much easier to kill everything first and then take care of the healing, since if you're healing on your turn instead of damaging the enemy you're giving them one more turn to attack with...)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

i wanted to give my healer a boost by giving him something i could break on people, thought itd be funny to smack a player on the back of the head and heal him mehehe

Are you familiar with the artificer's version of Healing Word?  He throws darts into you and you are healed.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
In the pirate campaign I'm playing in, I found a chest that had 4 pieces of fruit. One pear (potion of barkskin) and three cherries (potions of cure light wounds). I think the DM decided to do it this way because in their world land and thus edible things are scarce (it's a waterworld) and it's a bit different to what we're used to. We're playing in 3.5e 
I used a similar approach for a modified Isle of Dread game I ran. The natives used fruit for the potion-making process as they would not have to worry about creating a container. As a nagic item I ruled that the fruit utself would not perish - so that banana of healing is fresh, cures damage and is a nice snack!  :-)

As a previous poster said, just fluff it as you wish. 
If you're looking for the book it was in, I think it was in the 3.5e book Complete Arcane.  That said, it was pretty much just fluff ideas there, as many in this thread have said.  I don't recall there being any specific mechanics behind the "potions sealed into tiles" thing and other such ideas, other than possibly a bit of information on the costs of them, etc.
spiffy, ty all for the amazing ideas
In the pirate campaign I'm playing in, I found a chest that had 4 pieces of fruit. One pear (potion of barkskin) and three cherries (potions of cure light wounds). I think the DM decided to do it this way because in their world land and thus edible things are scarce (it's a waterworld) and it's a bit different to what we're used to. We're playing in 3.5e 

I really like the idea of exotic fruits used to revigorate !

I really like the idea of exotic fruits used to revigorate !

Gahh... Don't get me started, lol - I recently picked up Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion  for my PS3, and my character's leaving a trail of fruit, vegetables and cereal grains all over the map cuz I can't carry them all...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Sign In to post comments