Question Thread

So I'm pretty new to this and I'm just going to use this thread to post any questions I have on the playtest to prevent clutter.

A level 1 fighter/monk with a martial damage die, can use that every time he attacks to add to his damage or save it for a reaction?

Just to clarify casters recieve one spell on level up?

What is the cost of a wizard using the mage armour cantrip out of combat? The only thing i can see is rolling a check and rolling a 1 is the only risk.
Wizards do not start with armor, nor do they start with proficiency in it.

AFAIK, the only way to be proficient in armor as a wizard right now is to be a dwarf (forgot which kind). 
So the only way they get armour is to equip it, or use mage armour? What if they get attacked without mage armour active? Enemies auto hit as long as its not a 1?

All characters start with 10 AC, plus Dexterity, without armor.  Armor that a character puts on changes the base number from 10 to some other higher number (like 11 for Leather armor), and may modify how Dexterity applies. 

For example, here is a selection of armor, their base AC, and dexterity modifiers

• Unarmored (Default): 10 + Dex Mod (Source: Document "Creating a Character", page 3, "Determine Armor Class")

• Leather: 11 + Dex Mod (Source: Document "Equipment", page 3)

• Mage Armor: 12 + Dex Mod (Source: Document "Spells", page 20)

• Studded Leather: 13 + Dex Mod (max 2) (Source: Document "Equipment", page 3)

• Plate: 18 (no dex mod) (Source: Document "Equipment", page 3)

Also note that if you have a negative Dexterity modifier, it will lower your AC.  So, Leather armor mixed with a Dexterity score of 8 will yield 10 AC.

Hope that helps! =D

Edit: Put them in a bulleted list, calrify dex mod 

Thanks a bunch landale
In terms of weapons that wizards can use, what is stopping them from using a sheild and sword and still using magic?
In terms of weapons that wizards can use, what is stopping them from using a sheild and sword and still using magic?

read the packet, the answers are all in there.
Yea? Under what pdf cause I didn't see anything under classes, equiptment , how to play or in the dm guidelines. Your assumption that I did not read the material is fallacious, its alot to digest for some one who is new to the game and learning to Dm first and player character second.
Yea? Under what pdf cause I didn't see anything under classes, equiptment , how to play or in the dm guidelines. Your assumption that I did not read the material is fallacious, its alot to digest for some one who is new to the game and learning to Dm first and player character second.

How to Play, page 21 under 'spell components'.

use ctrl+f to search a pdf document. i just searched 'casting' and found the necessary info in less than a minute. 
Somatic components. In this edition, you need one hand free to cast arcane spells. That prevents the wizard from using a shield. Besides that, they are not proficient and it would be detrimental to them to wield it.
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/Baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite and on topic and refrain from making personal attacks. 

First, the wizard has no proficiency in either shields or longswords.  You can view their proficiencies in the Classes document, page 25 under "Armor and Shield Proficiencies" and "Weapon Proficiencies" (these are at the top of the page in the second column).  The use of these items without proficiency would yield penalties to the character.

Secondly, it is as Lord Kyrion said, you need at least 1 free hand to cast spells that require Somatic Components (i.e. hand waving and finger jiggling).  The caveat to the "one hand free" rule, as far as I can see, is that you can still wield 2-handed weapons (like the quarterstaff) and are still able to cast spells.

From document "How to Play", page 21
If you can’t complete a spell’s components, you are unable to cast the spell. Thus, if you are silenced or don’t have a hand free, you cannot cast a spell.

Wizard in the Class document has -

Armor and Shield Proficiencies: None.
Weapon Proficiencies: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, and light crossbows.

However if you take a Hill Dwarf you get more Hit points, or take a Mountain Dwarf you can wear armour.
- This may lead to many Dwarf wizards, which is a contrast to previous editions but hey, could be very cool. Proof's in the pudding as they say.

You could take Sharpshooter specialty for the Sniper feat, allowing use of Long Bows and fire at enemies at a distance (better range than Light Crossbows)

You could take the Ambusher specialty for the Improved Initiative feat, and simply act before your enemies.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

Sign In to post comments